Sven Goran Eriksson | Passes away from cancer aged 76 (p 32)

I've given it some deep thought, and by that I mean giving him no thought whatsoever, and nope, don't have to credit that clown with fuck all.

Any credit for that goes to Garry Cook for me. Someone who doesn't get anywhere near as much recognition from the club nowadays as he deserves.
If you go back to VK’s comments at the time of signing he talks about the “dynamic people at City” and “the ambition of the club”, but this is just before the takeover so clearly he’s been convinced by someone in the know and that wouldn’t be the manager. Almost certainly Gary Cook in my opinion.

If you go back to VK’s comments at the time of signing he talks about the “dynamic people at City” and “the ambition of the club”, but this is just before the takeover so clearly he’s been convinced by someone in the know and that wouldn’t be the manager. Almost certainly Gary Cook in my opinion.
LOL well I think we can rule out the clueless welsh rag then.

Cook had the perfect vision in that era. He was the king of piss boiling, he'd have been brilliant at City during the scouse rivalry years.

West Ham Away was class. Can still see Geo’s goal going in at our end.

It ended badly but I’ve largely got good memories of that season. Did the double over the rags too.
I remember it well. I was going to a festival in Hertfordshire with a few friends and we stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in Haywards Heath.

It never happened again and it was the only ever year it was on, because the organisation was shit while ticket sales were poor with many bands not even being paid. What I do remember is what a fantastic gig the band we came to see put on and the day being August 11th 2007, which was the same day a friend of mine sadly died and of course the first day of the season.

I remember going back to our hotel after the festival, putting the TV on and catching the end of Match of the Day in which Lineker joked about Sven maybe being the next England manager. I looked up the score, watched the extended highlights back and really thought we were going to be in for one hell of a season, before joining up with my friends for a bottle of wine outside the hotel in the hotel garden.

As the season wore on we stupidly threw away a 2-0 lead against Fulham, which today still annoys many Reading supporters to this day as if we held on they would have ultimately stayed up, then of course that Middlesbrough humiliation.

Still, we did the double over the Rags and despite the disappointments of that season, Sven helped us create the foundations of the foothold we made and so needed to get above the Rags, which we then used to get to where we are today.

Sven brought pride back to our club. I had the privilege of meeting him once when he was staying at the Raddisson. When he heard I was a City fan he invited me ( a total stranger) to join his group and insisted on paying for all the drinks. He just wanted to talk about football. He loved City. He was a total gent.

Sven brought pride back to our club. I had the privilege of meeting him once when he was staying at the Raddisson. When he heard I was a City fan he invited me ( a total stranger) to join his group and insisted on paying for all the drinks. He just wanted to talk about football. He loved City. He was a total gent.
Great story that Bobby. What a guy! :)

I attended a fundraising "Breakfast with Sven" at the cricket ground for a charity I worked for - the day after England had played up the road at the Swamp when he was the manager.
Was in there early and setting the place up and the CEO of the charity asked me to think of a question to ask.
It was towards the end of the season 2000/01. The rags were neck and neck with Arsenal for the title.
I stood up and said "the title race is neck and neck, it's going to be tight over the last few games as we've seen the table changes each week, so my question to you Sven is who do you think will top the table, Manchester City or Wolverhampton Wanderers? (As both were going for it in the Championship)
The audience broke into stitches and Sven said he thought City would win it.
Dennis Tueart came up to me after and said he loved the question!
Oh and sat at the top table with Sven was his "guest" Ulrika.....
It was a few weeks later when his affair was exposed and the pictures of them together that were on the front page of all the papers were taken at this event with our CEO in the middle of them! He wasn't best pleased!

Last edited:
Imagine how much better those early takeover years would have been if Sven was the man in charge and not Hughes. Actually, scratch that for a second, imagine what we could have done before the takeover if Thaksin hadn't slowly turned against Sven from January onwards in 2008. Ol' Blue Eyes had us 4th at Christmas with half of Pearce's squad still hanging around in the dressing room. We'd have always dropped off eventually - but we were 7th the day we did the Manchester derby double at Old Trafford, and we only dropped to 9th on the final day when the secret was out about Thaksin and none of our players could make a tackle for fear of us losing out on a UEFA Cup spot.

That following season when we brought in the likes of Zabaleta, Robinho, De Jong, Kompany, et al, we'd have finished higher than 10th with such a quality squad, that's for sure. Another top 6-8 finish would have absolutely been on the cards. And then can you imagine what Sven could have achieved with Tevez, Adebayor, Barry, and Lescott? Bet he'd have even got a proper tune out of Robinho as well. We'd probably just have fallen short of a Champions League spot in 09/10 anyway, at which point Mancini would have been hired I'm sure, but we had a good run at the League Cup that year and who knows what could have happened in Europe with a proper manager like Sven in charge.

I guess we'll never know. But what I'm trying to say is that Sven deserved better treatment from City and he'd have worked well with more backing from the board. That man came into a club that was on its knees and arse simultaneously, a bored fanbase falling out of love with coming to the stadium, and a team full of pensioners and young players with almost no in between - except for the Tuscan Wonder and Fenugreek up front. He flooded the team with new blood in a fortnight and got us playing to a proper tune for the first time in years. The most exciting time to be a Blue since Keegan's promotion season almost a decade beforehand.

On that opening day against West Ham, I was on a beach in Wales. We had the game on 5Live and the signal was a bit dodgy. The commentator was talking about all this "free-flowing football" he was seeing and we thought he was talking about the Hammers until Bianchi scored. I lived off that Elano free-kick vs Newcastle for years afterwards. And later on that season, when Ireland scored the last-minute winner against Reading, I genuinely thought we'd never lose at home again. I was only 13 and I was obviously wrong about that, but that's the kind of belief that came flooding back to City after all those years. I still remember, "City are back! City are back! Hello, hello!"

The Sheikh didn't arrive for another 12 months but Sven's season was the proper start of the fightback. 11 wins at home in the league and only four defeats. 37 points overall from games at the COMS - our best home record in the Premier League era at the time and only one point short of our home record in Pellegrini's final season. A Manchester derby double, proper exciting players we'd never heard of before like Elano and Petrov, unbeaten at home until February, competitive with the bigger boys despite having no proper striker or goalkeeper basically all season. He steadied the ship quickly and pointed it back in the right direction after years in the doldrums.

Above all though, he brought people back in droves. Some of our attendances in that last Pearce season were shocking - as low as 36,000 for some games with big sections of blue seats on show. But the majority of games under Sven were packed out at 47,000. I remember them offering those half-season cards out around Christmas because people were desperate to come and see us play every week again. I'll never forget the night we beat Bolton 4-2 and we left the ground to news that we were gonna sign Riquelme and Ludovic Giuly in January. They were never gonna come but the excitement was enough and a sign that things were finally, finally on the up again.

It's shit we'll never get to give him a proper send-off. He deserved us all clapping him and thanking him on the last day against West Ham - what team more appropriate? Gutted it didn't happen.

Imagine how much better those early takeover years would have been if Sven was the man in charge and not Hughes. Actually, scratch that for a second, imagine what we could have done before the takeover if Thaksin hadn't slowly turned against Sven from January onwards in 2008. Ol' Blue Eyes had us 4th at Christmas with half of Pearce's squad still hanging around in the dressing room. We'd have always dropped off eventually - but we were 7th the day we did the Manchester derby double at Old Trafford, and we only dropped to 9th on the final day when the secret was out about Thaksin and none of our players could make a tackle for fear of us losing out on a UEFA Cup spot.

That following season when we brought in the likes of Zabaleta, Robinho, De Jong, Kompany, et al, we'd have finished higher than 10th with such a quality squad, that's for sure. Another top 6-8 finish would have absolutely been on the cards. And then can you imagine what Sven could have achieved with Tevez, Adebayor, Barry, and Lescott? Bet he'd have even got a proper tune out of Robinho as well. We'd probably just have fallen short of a Champions League spot in 09/10 anyway, at which point Mancini would have been hired I'm sure, but we had a good run at the League Cup that year and who knows what could have happened in Europe with a proper manager like Sven in charge.

I guess we'll never know. But what I'm trying to say is that Sven deserved better treatment from City and he'd have worked well with more backing from the board. That man came into a club that was on its knees and arse simultaneously, a bored fanbase falling out of love with coming to the stadium, and a team full of pensioners and young players with almost no in between - except for the Tuscan Wonder and Fenugreek up front. He flooded the team with new blood in a fortnight and got us playing to a proper tune for the first time in years. The most exciting time to be a Blue since Keegan's promotion season almost a decade beforehand.

On that opening day against West Ham, I was on a beach in Wales. We had the game on 5Live and the signal was a bit dodgy. The commentator was talking about all this "free-flowing football" he was seeing and we thought he was talking about the Hammers until Bianchi scored. I lived off that Elano free-kick vs Newcastle for years afterwards. And later on that season, when Ireland scored the last-minute winner against Reading, I genuinely thought we'd never lose at home again. I was only 13 and I was obviously wrong about that, but that's the kind of belief that came flooding back to City after all those years. I still remember, "City are back! City are back! Hello, hello!"

The Sheikh didn't arrive for another 12 months but Sven's season was the proper start of the fightback. 11 wins at home in the league and only four defeats. 37 points overall from games at the COMS - our best home record in the Premier League era at the time and only one point short of our home record in Pellegrini's final season. A Manchester derby double, proper exciting players we'd never heard of before like Elano and Petrov, unbeaten at home until February, competitive with the bigger boys despite having no proper striker or goalkeeper basically all season. He steadied the ship quickly and pointed it back in the right direction after years in the doldrums.

Above all though, he brought people back in droves. Some of our attendances in that last Pearce season were shocking - as low as 36,000 for some games with big sections of blue seats on show. But the majority of games under Sven were packed out at 47,000. I remember them offering those half-season cards out around Christmas because people were desperate to come and see us play every week again. I'll never forget the night we beat Bolton 4-2 and we left the ground to news that we were gonna sign Riquelme and Ludovic Giuly in January. They were never gonna come but the excitement was enough and a sign that things were finally, finally on the up again.

It's shit we'll never get to give him a proper send-off. He deserved us all clapping him and thanking him on the last day against West Ham - what team more appropriate? Gutted it didn't happen.
From that January onwards under Sven, we were almost as bad as we were from the January onwards in the season before under Pearce.

Pearce New Year’s Day onwards:
Premier League - P17 W4 D4 L9 F12 A20 GD-8 Pts16
FA Cup - Quarter final (beat SheffWeds 1-1/2-1, Soton 3-1, Preston 1-3; lost to Blackburn 2-0)

Sven New Year’s Day onwards:
Premier League - P18 W5 D4 L9 F18 A31 GD-13 Pts19
FA Cup - Fourth round (beat West Ham 0-0/1-0; lost to SheffUtd 2-1).

Thaksin had a lot to answer for, as did the players who seemed to down tools on Sven. Although, that’s a bit Sven’s fault as well for not bringing everyone together and distancing the team from the goings on in the background.
The 8-1 was a fucking disgrace by those players (they deserved having those seats lobbed at them from our away end, haha!).

It would have been interesting had Thaksin not created a poor environment for the team and see what Sven might have done in the UEFA Cup the following year.

Saying that, we had some cracking results under Hughes. He signed some legends for this club and started the ball rolling with righting a few of our bogeys; starting with Arsenal (Hughes had great results and performances against them!). He got us to the semis of the League Cup, the quarters of the UEFA Cup and we were heading in the right direction.
Hughes was decent and the right man for that one season. He just wasn’t the right man from that season onwards.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.