Sweet Soul Music (Do you like good music)

Isn’t it about a bloke who CAN’T get aroused and the more impatient the girl is, the more difficult it is for him?

Well, without going into over-interpretation (which may merely be projection, in certain cases), it could be about not being able to get a hard-on in the first place, and being under pressure, as you say. Or it could be about getting it, and losing it, getting it, losing it, at certain key moments (which — I'm told by a friend — happens…).
Either way, it's always seemed to me that that's the reference, in a suitably discreet way, because this had to played on the airwaves nationwide (and, as I remember it in the summer of 1970, was. It was all over the place). Of course, it's framed very romantically. But I'd be astonished if I were the only person who understood it that way.

Now Kylie's a frisky girl, and I'm pretty bloody sure she got it, loud and clear, but then she thought, “Well, this works for girls as well — not obviously, not being able to get a stiffy — so why shouldn't I sing it?” Love her version too, incidentally. That trill, which she does twice — now that really does it for me!
And if anybody thinks I'm talking too much about sex. Well… rock and roll, blues, soul: a lot of it does boil down to sex. When Robert Plant sang about “I wanna give you every inch of my love” does anyone think he was speaking purely metaphorically? Which made it interesting when Marsha Hunt decided to do a version of that. But then, you think for a second — that works for girls too.

Shake your moneymaker!

Incidentally, haven't checked the whole 54 pages of this excellent thread, but if nobody's put up the Bob and Marcia version of “Young, Gifted and Black” then that is negligence that amounts to a crime against humanity. I loved that song when I first heard it on the radio, and I still do. It has all the hope, all the spirit, all the innocence of the times in it. And although it's by a black woman, directed to black people, I, a white middle-class 16-year-old fresh out of school, felt it was for me too.
What a fine bloody summer that was… “Give Me Just A Little More Time” and “Young, Gifted and Black” both out?

(Just realised that I've previously posted on this. No matter. Always worth cheerleading for this one.)

Incidentally, haven't checked the whole 54 pages of this excellent thread, but if nobody's put up the Bob and Marcia version of “Young, Gifted and Black” then that is negligence that amounts to a crime against humanity. I loved that song when I first heard it on the radio, and I still do. It has all the hope, all the spirit, all the innocence of the times in it. And although it's by a black woman, directed to black people, I, a white middle-class 16-year-old fresh out of school, felt it was for me too.
What a fine bloody summer that was… “Give Me Just A Little More Time” and “Young, Gifted and Black” both out?

(Just realised that I've previously posted on this. No matter. Always worth cheerleading for this one.)
More reggae than sould i'd say. The Nina Simone original probably the 'soul' version.

More reggae than sould i'd say. The Nina Simone original probably the 'soul' version.

Fair point. Nina definitely has the quintessential ‘soul’ voice that Marcia never had. That said, the use of strings (inspired) in the Bob and Marcia version gives it something of a Tamla Motown feel, despite the jaunty reggae rhythm (Marvin Gaye, Smoky Robinson, Tammi Terrell and others used strings brilliantly, many times). It's a hybrid, really. But the mansion of soul always did have many rooms.
And this may be heresy, but the Bob and Marcia version is my preferred one. Yes, even over Nina's, the originator's! Just a personal thing. It was the times, it was the age I was, it was the hopefulness of that year, and the way their version just chimed with all of that.

Well, without going into over-interpretation (which may merely be projection, in certain cases), it could be about not being able to get a hard-on in the first place, and being under pressure, as you say. Or it could be about getting it, and losing it, getting it, losing it, at certain key moments (which — I'm told by a friend — happens…).
Either way, it's always seemed to me that that's the reference, in a suitably discreet way, because this had to played on the airwaves nationwide (and, as I remember it in the summer of 1970, was. It was all over the place). Of course, it's framed very romantically. But I'd be astonished if I were the only person who understood it that way.

Now Kylie's a frisky girl, and I'm pretty bloody sure she got it, loud and clear, but then she thought, “Well, this works for girls as well — not obviously, not being able to get a stiffy — so why shouldn't I sing it?” Love her version too, incidentally. That trill, which she does twice — now that really does it for me!
And if anybody thinks I'm talking too much about sex. Well… rock and roll, blues, soul: a lot of it does boil down to sex. When Robert Plant sang about “I wanna give you every inch of my love” does anyone think he was speaking purely metaphorically? Which made it interesting when Marsha Hunt decided to do a version of that. But then, you think for a second — that works for girls too.

Shake your moneymaker!
Haha, I have suffered the same experiences in the past, especially when pissed. Great tune nevertheless and Kylie probably thought forget the reference in the lyrics, it’s a great tune and a hit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.