Swimming Thread

Getting into swimming after many years due to a ongoing hip injury laying me off football, walking, running and generally most things. Whilst it's probably the best exercise I can do right now, it is still hard due to the natural hip rotation in front crawl (breaststroke is a no)

I like the sound of the above posters blocks of 16, I'm currently doing blocks of 10, will up it to 12 soon. I'm only going once a week due to struggles with chlorine, my skin is really not enjoying it.

Got some ear plugs today, had a blocked ear for weeks and I'm worried about swimmers ear.

Despite my body's clear dislike to indoor swimming pools, I will persevere. I'm currently on 1.75km a session, once a week, but would perhaps prefer 1km 3 times a week, if my poor precious skin, ears etc will allow it.

I swim at least 5km a week in 2 sessions. I think I'm currently doing too much per session as I've got cramp a couple of times recently, but also want to fit in 3 runs per week and a couple of recovery days.
I intend shifting things around in the new year doing 3 x 2km swims per week, but reducing my running to twice a week, but working towards one of the runs being 10km.
I think chlorine levels vary widely between pools. I read recently that the chlorine has to work harder in pools where swimmers don't shower before swimming, which actually sounds a bit minging!
However, I've noticed when I swim at Manchester Aquatics Centre, I hardly notice the smell or after effects of chlorine at all.

I swim at least 5km a week in 2 sessions. I think I'm currently doing too much per session as I've got cramp a couple of times recently, but also want to fit in 3 runs per week and a couple of recovery days.
I intend shifting things around in the new year doing 3 x 2km swims per week, but reducing my running to twice a week, but working towards one of the runs being 10km.
I think chlorine levels vary widely between pools. I read recently that the chlorine has to work harder in pools where swimmers don't shower before swimming, which actually sounds a bit minging!
However, I've noticed when I swim at Manchester Aquatics Centre, I hardly notice the smell or after effects of chlorine at all.

Thanks, that sounds a lot! I am planning to up it next week or the week after.

I can't believe you can hardly notice the smell of chlorine after the aquatics, where I am the stench on me is crazy, perhaps due to kids classes? I dunno, swimming seems like the perfect thing for me right now, plus if I give it up I've got next to nothing for exercise, but swimming pools seem pretty disgusting

Thanks, that sounds a lot! I am planning to up it next week or the week after.

I can't believe you can hardly notice the smell of chlorine after the aquatics, where I am the stench on me is crazy, perhaps due to kids classes? I dunno, swimming seems like the perfect thing for me right now, plus if I give it up I've got next to nothing for exercise, but swimming pools seem pretty disgusting

One thing that surprised me when I restarted swimming 3.5 years ago after a long break was the lack of foot sanitising pools between the changing room and the pool. I assume people still get verrucas and athletes foot, but there doesn't seem to be anything to stop these getting spread around.
The other thing that annoys me is when you pick up strands of floating hair between your fingers. Don't ladies (and long haired guys) wear swimming caps anymore?
At least I don't seem to spot any floating plasters these days!

What’s a good time for a mile breaststroke?

Depends on your age, fitness and weight.
I'm a retired slightly overweight bloke and can do 2km (80 x 25m lengths) in just under an hour. For a mile (64 lengths), that would take me around 48 minutes.
I'm not particularly fast, take a rest to let faster swimmers overtake me, and usually reside in the "medium" speed lane.

Getting into swimming after many years due to a ongoing hip injury laying me off football, walking, running and generally most things. Whilst it's probably the best exercise I can do right now, it is still hard due to the natural hip rotation in front crawl (breaststroke is a no)

I like the sound of the above posters blocks of 16, I'm currently doing blocks of 10, will up it to 12 soon. I'm only going once a week due to struggles with chlorine, my skin is really not enjoying it.

Got some ear plugs today, had a blocked ear for weeks and I'm worried about swimmers ear.

Despite my body's clear dislike to indoor swimming pools, I will persevere. I'm currently on 1.75km a session, once a week, but would perhaps prefer 1km 3 times a week, if my poor precious skin, ears etc will allow it.
I can recommend Ear Calm as a prevention for swimmers ear . I buy mine on line and use it weekly . . And I use liberal amounts of Palmers Cocos butter every day which helps the skin and makes me smell like hot chocolate . Finally I need eye drops to stop the chlorine irritating my eyes ....is it al worth it ....yes . Nothing like it for mental health and fitness .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.