Swimming Thread

Anyone know any recommended swim coaches in Manchester. Id love to improve my technique
Just my opinion but the best way to improve your technique is go regularly and eventually you’ll find the stroke and breathing that suits you most. I’ve swam pretty much every day for last twenty five years. Took me a couple months but I eventually settled in front crawl, breathe every four strokes and always to the left. Where and when possible I always swim in a lane next to the wall. Always wear goggles. 99% of my propulsion is through arms; I use very little foot kick. I average 45-50 mins per 64 lengths 1 mile).
Outdoor swimming is great but increasingly fraught with the danger of picking up a bug - can of flat coke if you’re swimming somewhere like Sale Water Park.
My gym allows me to swim outdoors any time between 6am and 11pm. It’s expensive (£180 per month) but I go every day, without fail. So get my money’s worth. I love it. And it’s the best mental exercise you can get.
My advice: swim, swim and keep swimming!!!

Depends on your age, fitness and weight.
I'm a retired slightly overweight bloke and can do 2km (80 x 25m lengths) in just under an hour. For a mile (64 lengths), that would take me around 48 minutes.
I'm not particularly fast, take a rest to let faster swimmers overtake me, and usually reside in the "medium" speed lane.
Same. I'm in my early 50's. Slightly overweight.
Started swimming 10 years ago, mainly breastroke. Helped with injuries after years of football and cycling.
I couldn't do more than 2 lengths freestyle.
But another swimmer last year told me to stop kicking flat out. Use a 2 beat kick rather than 8.
Now I'm up to a mile in around 35 minutes.
Was swimming about 4 miles per week but just started back in the gym so 50/50 now.

Could probably swim in the fast lane but happier in the medium lane with the blue rinse brigade. Lol

I'm a retired slightly overweight bloke and can do 2km (80 x 25m lengths) in just under an hour. For a mile (64 lengths), that would take me around 48 minutes.
I'm not particularly fast, take a rest to let faster swimmers overtake me, and usually reside in the "medium" speed lane.
I'm on about 70 x 25m in an hour. Hope to push it to 80 if austerity and extortionate energy costs dosn't force the pool to close.

Just my opinion but the best way to improve your technique is go regularly and eventually you’ll find the stroke and breathing that suits you most. I’ve swam pretty much every day for last twenty five years. Took me a couple months but I eventually settled in front crawl, breathe every four strokes and always to the left. Where and when possible I always swim in a lane next to the wall. Always wear goggles. 99% of my propulsion is through arms; I use very little foot kick. I average 45-50 mins per 64 lengths 1 mile).
Outdoor swimming is great but increasingly fraught with the danger of picking up a bug - can of flat coke if you’re swimming somewhere like Sale Water Park.
My gym allows me to swim outdoors any time between 6am and 11pm. It’s expensive (£180 per month) but I go every day, without fail. So get my money’s worth. I love it. And it’s the best mental exercise you can get.
My advice: swim, swim and keep swimming!!!
Thanks. I agree. The more I swam the better I got.
Taught myself to swim bilaterally 3+3.
I just seemed to have levelled out and would be fascinated to see what improvements I could make with a good swim coach. YouTube videos are slightly overwhelming with the technical aspect of swimming

Thanks mate. I’m in my 50s, fat (BMI obese) and did it today in 44 mins with 3 x 1 min breaks every 1/4 mile so happy!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.