SWP's form: right back

Dobsy87

Excuse me if I'm raising a point that's been raised before. My laptop was nicked recently and I've not been able to visit bluemoon as often as I would like.

SWP is by all accounts not showing his best form for City and England. Does anyone else think that this is at least in part because he is playing in front of right backs in Richards, Zabaleta and Johnson who are clearly limited in their defensive abilities, and is therefore having to do more covering/defensive work?

The media seem to have him out of the England squad behind Lennon and Walcott but when it comes to the world cup squad I expect Don Fabio to take SWP because he offers so much more defensively, whereas Walcott and Lennon are very similar.

Kinky Dribbler said:
Colins Bellend said:
Sorry mate but i would take either over SWP. Can't pass a ball to save his life
Walcott > Lennon > SWP.
Have either of you watched Walcott much over the last year, either for Arsenal or England u-21s?

I would offer my own opinion that Shauny doesn't deserve a place in the starting eleven.

When he was younger, people made allowances for his shortcomings.

Now it is just annoying and frustrating, in that he fails to beat a man, his reluctance to beat a man.

I feared it was just a confidence thing after his time at Chelsea, but more likely he wasted his prime at Stamford Bridge.

Shaun offers high on workrate, but that is the least any City fan should expect from a player.

He came back to us because he wants regular first-team starts, but it is inevitable the penny will finally drop with the manager that Shauny isn't quite up to it as a shoe-in every week.

A bench player, by all means, but at the very least, Bellamy can be shifted to the right and allow Robinho to at least prove wrong, those who have already labelled him the most expensive flop in our history.

This is a strange one. Shauns form may have dipped but he is having to cover a lot more ground to double up at full back due to Richard's forgetting how to defend. I think with a good all round full back behind him shaun will play further up the pitch and be more effective. His attitude and commitment can never be questioned and if he plays higher up the pitch he will look back to his old self

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I would offer my own opinion that Shauny doesn't deserve a place in the starting eleven.

Now it is just annoying and frustrating, in that he fails to beat a man, his reluctance to beat a man.

I feared it was just a confidence thing after his time at Chelsea, but more likely he wasted his prime at Stamford Bridge.

Shaun offers high on workrate, but that is the least any City fan should expect from a player.

He came back to us because he wants regular first-team starts, but it is inevitable the penny will finally drop with the manager that Shauny isn't quite up to it as a shoe-in every week.

A bench player, by all means, but at the very least, Bellamy can be shifted to the right and allow Robinho to at least prove wrong, those who have already labelled him the most
expensive flop in our history.

so you'd drop SWP and put bellamy there who does the exact same job and is probaly a worse passer and puts in just as bad a cross, bellamy's a striker so until we get someone capable of doing a better job out there swp should be left alone and backed

M22_blu said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

A bench player, by all means, but at the very least, Bellamy can be shifted to the right and allow Robinho to at least prove wrong, those who have already labelled him the most
expensive flop in our history.

so you'd drop SWP and put bellamy there who does the exact same job and is probaly a worse passer and puts in just as bad a cross, bellamy's a striker so until we get someone capable of doing a better job out there swp should be left alone and backed

Bullshit - Bellamy goes past the last man, I can count on two fingers the amount of times he has done that this season.

Bellamy has played out on the left and still managed to score goals. As for his passing, it wasn't too shabby when he set SWP up for the goal against Arsenal.

The original question was whether Shauny was good enough to stay in the team, or was his downturn due to the appalling right-back situation.

You're last statement about waiting until someone better comes in, shows you know he isn't up to the standard we now need.

I think the OP has a point. If SWP had the Right Back equivalent of Bridge (on this seasons form) behind him then we may well see more from him.

AS for Walcott & Lennon give me SWP anyday.

I can't remember where I saw the stats but I think SWP has the highest number of succesful dribbles in the Prem. (ooh er !)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.