Tactical discussion

greasedupdeafguy said:
Was extremely confident before the start of the season that we would win back the league or at least come close but the way we have started the season it looks more like we will be fighting for the top 4 rather the title, early days yet though plus United and Chelsea haven't exactly set the ground on fire although they have had a much more difficult set of fixtures compared to us.

Disappointed we're still playing the very unbalanced and narrow 4-4-2 that Mancini always used to play, it was effective for the first half half of the 2011-2012 season but since then (excluding the 6 game winning run that won us the league) we've been pretty ordinary for a while and have been a disaster in Europe.

We desperately need a pacy left winger imo to give us balance,put Navas on the other wing with Silva behind the striker.

........................Yaya.....................Fernandinho......................

Navas............................Silva............................LW......................

.................................Negredo/Aguero...............................

At the moment we have to many square pegs in round holes, although I rate him Milner is a disaster on the wing, he creates nothing. Teams are overrunning our midfield two and Silva isn't a winger.

We look a million miles away from the likes of Barce, Dortmund, Munich, Madrid etc which is quite sad really considering the money we have spent. Having said that I do think all our new signings though are excellent and once we have a settled formation we will see them shine but it will take time.

Isn't it strange that all 4 teams only play with 1 striker, plus a back up and a youngster.

-zaba------komps--demichelis-----clichy
-------fernandinho----Rodwell-------
----navas-----silva------jovetic-------
---------------Negredo-------------

About as balanced as we can muster I reckon.

ManCitizens. said:
We've played 442 since the beginning of our title winning season.

We virtually never played 4-4-2 under Mancini

Having 2 strikers on the pitch does not automatically mean 4-4-2

Berkovic_blue said:
ManCitizens. said:
We've played 442 since the beginning of our title winning season.

We virtually never played 4-4-2 under Mancini

Having 2 strikers on the pitch does not automatically mean 4-4-2

the other formation we played was 4-4-1-1 , which is a variation of the 4-4-2. it totally okay to call the 4-4-1-1 a 4-4-2. just because one striker is playing a bit deeper doesn't mean the formation isn't 4-4-2.<br /><br />-- Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:43 pm --<br /><br />I prefer a deep 4-3-3 but that's just me.

828856_Champions_League_Team.jpg

I think what is clear is that yaya and ferd cannt play as a pair centrally or if they do our midfield will be over run...yaya isnt mobile enough over shorter distances and is wasted in this role as he doesnt control games from that position....we all know yaya is at his best when making runs forward....he was best at this when he had license to do this cause he had players behind him that would hold (dejong/barry)....now both yaya and ferd are pushing up and that is leaving huge holes infront of our back 4 and we are wide open, coupled with the fact that the fullbacks are pushing even highed up the pitch than ever before even when not attacking (notice that zabba now keeps diving in and missing tackles like he did today whereas before he would be defneding from slightly deeper and not having to do that.........the centre halves are doing it as well as there is a huge space in front of them...even with kompany back that isnt going to change

our best option is to go with only one centre forward on the pitch........

the diffference is now that we havnt got tevez who could drop back and make a midfield 5...sergio can do it but is nowhere near as effective ......can jovetic fill the void left by tevez...i highly doubt he is close to tevez work rate or level at present and therefore the answer is no.......

i think Pellers has his system all wrong for the players we have and this is why we arent controlling games.........even under RM when we didtn win we usually controlled games but now with a new system we arent creating chances and other teams are controlling the games......and they are average teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greasedupdeafguy said:
Was extremely confident before the start of the season that we would win back the league or at least come close but the way we have started the season it looks more like we will be fighting for the top 4 rather the title, early days yet though plus United and Chelsea haven't exactly set the ground on fire although they have had a much more difficult set of fixtures compared to us.

Disappointed we're still playing the very unbalanced and narrow 4-4-2 that Mancini always used to play, it was effective for the first half half of the 2011-2012 season but since then (excluding the 6 game winning run that won us the league) we've been pretty ordinary for a while and have been a disaster in Europe.

We desperately need a pacy left winger imo to give us balance,put Navas on the other wing with Silva behind the striker.

........................Yaya.....................Fernandinho......................

Navas............................Silva............................LW......................

At the moment we have to many square pegs in round holes, although I rate him Milner is a disaster on the wing, he creates nothing. Teams are overrunning our midfield two and Silva isn't a winger.

We look a million miles away from the likes of Barce, Dortmund, Munich, Madrid etc which is quite sad really considering the money we have spent. Having said that I do think all our new signings though are excellent and once we have a settled formation we will see them shine but it will take time.
What?

Navas has started every game and would probably have done so again today but for the fixtures

The problem for me is that we are Not playing the narrow game. Easier if we just go back to last season's system. If we persist with what we are doing it will take time and we'll be out of the title race in weeks.

I'm dismissing today's game as a one-off where he had to field a much changed team

Marvin said:
greasedupdeafguy said:

What?

Navas has started every game and would probably have done so again today but for the fixtures

The problem for me is that we are Not playing the narrow game. Easier if we just go back to last season's system. If we persist with what we are doing it will take time and we'll be out of the title race in weeks.

I'm dismissing today's game as a one-off where he had to field a much changed team

"he had to" or was instructed to? It's clear the club are prioritising the CL.

I think we are missing Tevez.

His energy and ability to win a game we were struggling in like Swansea and Wigan last year was evident for all to see but we got rid and kept Dzeko who once again has slipped to the bench within 4 games

I think the problem has mostly been our defence... cental defensive changes and the fact that if it was more settled the wing backs should be pushing up the field to give us more shape and options. But the wide combinations today of zab and milner was very poor, and kolarov doesnt play with the pace pellegrini usually has. http://www.bitterandblue.com/2013/6/19/4445692/pellegrinis-villarreal
Good read and shows how unselfish players who put the team unit first managed to achieve sonething. The players we have now are better than that team as individuals... but as a team?

I just think we are going to have to forfeit a striker and play 4-3-3 when it comes to the big teams.

-----Dinho-------Rodwell--------Yaya-----

Navas--------In form striker----------Silva

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.