Talksport

They’re going to need to be very careful. The players they need to buy to keep them up won’t be the players required for the next level. To attract the initial group transfer fees and wages will be hiked. They will then need to get those off the books to push on, it won’t be easy. Also, the amortisation of players if a club goes balls deep in one window means their spending in those amortised contract years diminishes as they will be committed to hefty write downs and wages from year 2 on. As you say, Sponsorships will be a huge factor, let’s hope they are as forensically examined as ours were.

Edit, I know they’re not in there with guesswork but they will soon realise they’re not welcome at the top table, especially from the Yank owned clubs.
Exactly. The first wave of players should be on high wages but short contracts to compensate otherwise if they start signing them on 4 or 5 year contracts they will have players on high wages not even in the 1st team squad in 3 years time.
Deadwood that we have seen in the past like Santa Cruz, Danny Mills, Nigel Clough and Adeybayor for example

Last edited:
Fair enough, but the hard work will be getting star players to actually go to Newcastle. I think it will be a lot harder for them than it was for us.
Its interesting as they are already mooting possible relationships with well known agents for high turn over of quality players. I think it took us a good few years to stop being shafted and they will find it similar. However its all about the structure of the club and the rest will follow. If they go daft they could spend £100m and be relegated.

Its interesting as they are already mooting possible relationships with well known agents for high turn over of quality players. I think it took us a good few years to stop being shafted and they will find it similar. However its all about the structure of the club and the rest will follow. If they go daft they could spend £100m and be relegated.
Very true. The price of players has obviously gone through the roof. Gone are the times when we signed Yaya, Spanish Dave, Kolorov and Boteng for under 100 million in one window. Newcastle if they are lucky will only be able to sign two quality players for that money, which would make a big difference to their side, but it might not be enough.

Jordans`s logic is absolute bollocks. He says that because Sheik Mansour is the Prime Minister of the UAE then City are a state owned club. So if Boris Johnson was to buy Macclesfield Town that would make them state owned. It`s bollocks and he knows it but he´s been saying it for years.
Perish the thought, Macclesfield have had a bad enough time without being bought by that ****

Perish the thought, Macclesfield have had a bad enough time without being bought by that ****
If, as per the frequently bandied theory, most of us in the UK are descendants of Edward II 'Longshanks', then presumably any club with a contingent of British shareholders could probably also be considered state owned?

Had a shake of the head moment listening to Cundy and Carlton Cole yesterday.
A fan of another club (can't recall who) rang in and said it would take Newcastle a few years to win anything and like City did, they have to buy lesser players before getting the big guns.....
"City went out and bought the likes of Shaun Goater before buying Yaya and Aguero", he added.

Both Cundy and Cole praising the Goat as a player but not one of them bringing up the small issue of us signing him in 1998 and him leaving in 2003.......

Has Gordon Smart replaced that twat Goldstein? If so then I can listen to drive again.
I can't listen to Goldstein, he's an arrogant little prick. There was Paddy Power rep on the other day and he was giving a viewpoint on the Rags. Goldstein said we don't want to hear your opinion, we just want your odds, in an absolutely disgusting tone. If he spoke to someone like that in the street, he would get a good hiding.

I have listened a few times to Gordon Smart this week. He's been a breath of fresh air in comparison to Goldstein. They should have left Durham in that slot. He's so much better than Goldstein.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.