Tennis Thread

What’s the story behind the lack of a US champion since Roddick? It’s a crazy stat to me.

I have to confess that I love great tennis matches, but am a fair weather fan that doesn’t do the hard yards.
A dip in talent after the likes of Connors-McEnroe-Sampras-Chang-Courier-Agassi-Roddick, and oh, these 3-4 guys named Roger, Rafael, Novak, and even Andy were on the scene winning most everything in sight. ;-)

We had good players with their strengths, mainly Isner and Querrey on dominant service games, but not as overly strong all around in their game, like the current group of players that are either on the rise (Nakashima and Michelsen) or already arrived in the top 20.

We're finally to the point of having 5 in the top 20, but none in the top 10, but now's as good a time as any for a breakthrough, especially on home soil. Fritz and Paul did fine at the Olympics at getting the Bronze in doubles, but each I've thought had the chance to break through, and this could very well be Fritz/Tiafoe's time.

Last edited:
A dip in talent afterwards after the likes of Connors-McEnroe-Sampras-Chang-Courier-Agassi-Roddick, and oh, these 3-4 guys named Roger, Rafael, Novak, and even Andy were on the scene winning most everything in sight. ;-)

We had good players with their strengths, mainly Isner and Querrey on dominant service games, but not as overly strong all around in their game, like the current group of players that are either on the rise (Nakashima and Michelsen) or already arrived in the top 20.

We're finally to the point of having 5 in the top 20, but none in the top 10, but now's as good a time as any for a breakthrough, especially on home soil. Fritz and Paul did fine at the Olympics at getting the Bronze in doubles, but each I've thought had the chance to break through, and this could very well be Fritz/Tiafoe's time.
The ending of the mega superstar is over too. That gives others a chance to reach the top and gain confidence.

An interesting few years ahead.

The ending of the mega superstar is over too. That gives others a chance to reach the top and gain confidence.

An interesting few years ahead.
It won't surprise me if Sinner and Alcaraz are the dominant forces through the next five years, but there are others who could join them for more parity, including Sinner's opponent tonight if he's on his game.

Joker got his Gold, and if you would have told him he'd not win 1 Grand Slam this year but for that medal, I bet he'd gladly take where he's at. Fair play on that too.

He, along with the two Americans are certainly the story of the tournament this year.
Good luck to Jack Draper today, hope he plays a great match and we'll see where things can go. From what I've seen, he's certainly capable of the upset if he continues dictating pace like he has. Either way, this tournament will be something he can build upon. I'd love it for this to be his time too at the young age of 22. He's had a great run and will get plenty of cheering from me.

I'm out at a concert today/tonight, so I won't be watching either men's match live here, but I'll certainly be tuning in to catch them both at some point. DVR is a great thing.

Good luck to Jack Draper today, hope he plays a great match and we'll see where things can go. From what I've seen, he's certainly capable of the upset if he continues dictating pace like he has. Either way, this tournament will be something he can build upon. I'd love it for this to be his time too at the young age of 22. He's had a great run and will get plenty of cheering from me.

I'm out at a concert today/tonight, so I won't be watching either men's match live here, but I'll certainly be tuning in to catch them both at some point. DVR is a great thing.
Enjoy your evening. Guess you’ll need to avoid this thread until you’ve caught up with the matches!

Enjoy your evening. Guess you’ll need to avoid this thread until you’ve caught up with the matches!
Yes, I've been doing this all tourney, so yes, no worries. It was similar to the Olympic thread until I caught up on the day's events. Trying to stay current during the workday on both is never something that has been possible. ;-)

So are others though. They’ve both shown that they still have frailties.

It may well be that they are the next two superstars, but until they’re cemented there, the likes of Draper and others have a genuine chance of winning a slam.
Absolutely people like Tommy Paul Tiafoe Zverev Rublev all have potential to win one
However Alcatraz is already a multiple slam winner and I suspect Sinner will be very soon
If Draper stays injury free he could get one but he needs to be playing consistently and injury free for sustained periods
Not sure Draper has the potential to be a mega star multi slam winner
I hope I’m wrong

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.