Terry Phelan's wondergoal v Spurs 1993

Did Spurs not actually beat us 4 times that season?
It seems a long time ago but at the League Cup game there were absolute murders between the Spurs fans and us, at the corner of the North Stand and the Kippax. The Spurs fans were chucking some nasty shit from the North Stand into the Kippax. It was a proper nasty atmosphere and particularly violent.
I remember the League Cup game being far nastier than the FA Cup game.

Curle was worth every penny. A Rolls Royce of a centre half.
Phelan was fast, but that was about it.
Absolutely. Curle was ahead of his time and would be excellent in today’s game.

The problem when Curle came wasn’t Curle. It was that the idiot Reid thought Redmond to be the superior partner for him than Hendry. No offence to Steve Redmond who was perfectly decent but my word.

And that was typical Reid. A huge list of bad decisions culminating in a deserved sacking and yet the narrative is that he was unlucky, two fifth place finishes etc.. The reality was that Kendall’s excellent work brought us that team and Reid’s ineptitude brought it down.

Did Spurs not actually beat us 4 times that season?
It seems a long time ago but at the League Cup game there were absolute murders between the Spurs fans and us, at the corner of the North Stand and the Kippax. The Spurs fans were chucking some nasty shit from the North Stand into the Kippax. It was a proper nasty atmosphere and particularly violent.
I remember the League Cup game being far nastier than the FA Cup game.
Yes, 0-1 Vinny Samways.

I’m not old enough thankfully to remember 1981 - my Spurs loathing is all about 92/93.

Yeah think it was Wimbledon. Holden scored if I recall
Think the Wimbledon game was late in the season...a few weeks after the QF. I was about 13 and, unusually, was in the Main Stand rather than the Kippax (think my dad had picked up freebies) for the Wimbledon game. I remember the atmosphere being mutinous - calls for the heads of Swales, Reid, booing the team throughout much of the 2nd half...until Holden's 'worldie'! I'm sure I remember people setting fire to their programmes as well.

As others have said, that Spurs QF killed the vibe around the club. Bottled it at the first sight of success again. Many just couldn't see us get close to winning anything.
Alongside this, our increasingly route one footie, our small time new stand, no money to spend and United about to win the PL....it was the beginning of the downward spiral.

Last edited:
Like the total bellend I was when I was 19, I went on the pitch and headed for the 'Yid army'. Then just before I got to the North stand, a copper on a horse twatted me across the back and in doing so knocked me to the deck. I thought my number was up,but he didnt hang around and I didn't want to give him a second chance so I scarpered back into the kippax. My just deserts. Sorry..I was a little bit psycho back then. :-/ The reason for this was earlier in the season, we played them in league cup midweek. Coming out of the Kippax and walking past the North stand, thousands of the bastards were steaming out attacking men women and children. I walked right into the fuckers and had it with a few of them on my own. I was a bit ruffled but ok. So I wanted to get at them in the FA Cup game for that reason. Looking back,it was probably this game that pushed me into going down that route.

Curle was worth every penny. A Rolls Royce of a centre half.
Phelan was fast, but that was about it.
Yeah Curle was class but Phealan just had pace and nothing else. To think we payed £2.5m for him when around that time players like Shearer were only going for £3.3m

Like the total bellend I was when I was 19, I went on the pitch and headed for the 'Yid army'. Then just before I got to the North stand, a copper on a horse twatted me across the back and in doing so knocked me to the deck. I thought my number was up,but he didnt hang around and I didn't want to give him a second chance so I scarpered back into the kippax. My just deserts. Sorry..I was a little bit psycho back then. :-/ The reason for this was earlier in the season, we played them in league cup midweek. Coming out of the Kippax and walking past the North stand, thousands of the bastards were steaming out attacking men women and children. I walked right into the fuckers and had it with a few of them on my own. I was a bit ruffled but ok. So I wanted to get at them in the FA Cup game for that reason. Looking back,it was probably this game that pushed me into going down that route.
Remember the Manchester evening news picture gallery from that match. A couple of friends and the brother in law were in the rogues gallery along with a few other regular faces. Was in the new Umbro stand for that match and the mood was not great as expectation had been building up around winning the cup and avenging 81 along the way. A few lads kept low profiles for a couple of weeks but none of the lads I knew ever suffered any consequences. The Umbro stand was a joke - no room to swing a cat and badly thrown together.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.