Terry Phelan's wondergoal v Spurs 1993

The actual big turning point was John Bond leaving like that. We weren’t badly placed in the league when he walked out after we lost away to Brighton in the FA Cup.

It always amazes me how little John Benson’s name gets mentioned when worst City manager threads pop up on here.

Our track record under his stewardship was appalling. Our form completely collapsed.

That sent us into a tailspin from which we didn’t really recover until as @pauls has said, 2008.

It was Big Mal’s recklessness that was the source of that tailspin though. Weakened the foundations. We had a fine group of players when he came in. He tried to change too much, too quickly.

And fucked it up.
Malcolm was the turning point for me. He dismantled and ruined a very, very good team and turned it to dust. We never recovered that level of talent (on the pitch and managerially) until ADUG/ Mancini.

Bond (IMHO) was merely an interregnum amidst the kings of shite that paraded in that dugout.

Malcolm was the turning point for me. He dismantled and ruined a very, very good team and turned it to dust. We never recovered that level of talent (on the pitch and managerially) until ADUG/ Mancini.

Bond (IMHO) was merely an interregnum amidst the kings of shite that paraded in that dugout.
I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said there, but I think it’s sometimes forgotten how abruptly and unexpectedly Bond went, and that seemed to take our legs from under us.

Yes he tried to show Giggs on the outside and Giggs completely did him and smashed a shot in iirc.

Didn’t just show him. Literally pointed the way he wanted him to go. And Giggs thought, ok, bang.

I liked Curle. But apart from his pace, he was really a pretty average defender, at best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.