Thank You, Ilkay Gundogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while ago I posted on a thread about match day attending Blues and those on Bluemoon match day forum who give grief to our own players.

My view has always been 'Never boo a Blue', especially when the game is on, no matter how badly a player might be performing. We should be there to enjoy the football (especially under Pep's management) and support the squad through thick and thin.

I wrote about a herbert who used to sit near us in the North Stand and who was forever railing at Yaya, claiming he was 'lazy' and (yes!) wouldn't track back for the team. Said herbert was clearly an aficionado of all things to do with pies, judging by the size of him.

I remembered one game in particular, in injury time when Yaya (who'd controlled the game we were about to win from minute-one) broke up an opposition attack on the edge of our box, went on one of his lung busting charges on the opposition goal, players bouncing off him until he got a shot away which narrowly missed, then collapsed in a heap. As he pulled himself up, said corpulent, sweaty herbert by us was going mental.. 'Get up and get back you lazy f**ker!' and so on.. the irony!

The same guy was always calling Gundogan too. 'What does he do for us?', 'Get it forward Gundogan!', 'He's always going sideways.. get it in the box!' and so on and so on..

And anything good that Ilkay did was met with grudging comments, such 'Why doesn't he do it more often then?' Thank goodness he moved elsewhere. I wonder what the fat herbert thinks now after Ilkay's contribution over the past few years.

Pep's first signing. Five Premier League titles. A Champions League title. Numerous other trophies. His form during the run-in to the title in 2021. Aston Villa at home. United at Wembley. His social conscience and awareness of others less fortunate than him. His thoughtfulness. His philanthropy.

What a player, what a person. One of the greatest I've ever seen. I wish him all the best.
Agree with every word. Good post

d6f9172af83c44479ca3171e72debd3c.gif
Upamecano vibes. But the Assist and the control top shelf.

A while ago I posted on a thread about match day attending Blues and those on Bluemoon match day forum who give grief to our own players.

My view has always been 'Never boo a Blue', especially when the game is on, no matter how badly a player might be performing. We should be there to enjoy the football (especially under Pep's management) and support the squad through thick and thin.

I wrote about a herbert who used to sit near us in the North Stand and who was forever railing at Yaya, claiming he was 'lazy' and (yes!) wouldn't track back for the team. Said herbert was clearly an aficionado of all things to do with pies, judging by the size of him.

I remembered one game in particular, in injury time when Yaya (who'd controlled the game we were about to win from minute-one) broke up an opposition attack on the edge of our box, went on one of his lung busting charges on the opposition goal, players bouncing off him until he got a shot away which narrowly missed, then collapsed in a heap. As he pulled himself up, said corpulent, sweaty herbert by us was going mental.. 'Get up and get back you lazy f**ker!' and so on.. the irony!

The same guy was always calling Gundogan too. 'What does he do for us?', 'Get it forward Gundogan!', 'He's always going sideways.. get it in the box!' and so on and so on..

And anything good that Ilkay did was met with grudging comments, such 'Why doesn't he do it more often then?' Thank goodness he moved elsewhere. I wonder what the fat herbert thinks now after Ilkay's contribution over the past few years.

Pep's first signing. Five Premier League titles. A Champions League title. Numerous other trophies. His form during the run-in to the title in 2021. Aston Villa at home. United at Wembley. His social conscience and awareness of others less fortunate than him. His thoughtfulness. His philanthropy.

What a player, what a person. One of the greatest I've ever seen. I wish him all the best.
I sat in front of someone once who did nothing but slag David Silva (?!) off for the whole game, and sarcastically applauded him off when he was subbed. Fucking mad.

Try and ignore the title, what a player he was for us. Left on the highest of highs. Good luck Mr Whippy you shall be missed. Come back as Pep's assistant in 3 years.

Brilliant,absolutely brilliant viewing.
Some goals I'd forgotten about,such a great finisher,left foot right foot 6 yard poachers long distance bullet shots,technically brilliant and volleys ,headers ,confidently hit penalties and sweetly struck free kicks from distance....

Scored on his debut ,and two against utd in his penultimate game for us
One of my fav is against spurs at the Etihad when he tricks centre half Sanchez and makes him stumble and fall over( memories of negrado v spuds few seasons back) not great viewing for the spurs player who was left in a heap on the floor not quite knowing what hit him.

What a player.

Last edited:
There are only 3 players i'll defend with my life in this squad and Ilkay was one of them.
Thank you for the memories and good luck in the future.

I sat in front of someone once who did nothing but slag David Silva (?!) off for the whole game, and sarcastically applauded him off when he was subbed. Fucking mad.
It's all about opinions. Maybe Silva wasn't the type of player he liked? Football is a strange game. I've heard people absolutely slaughter Yaya at games and to be honest I've heard Gundogan get a crap load of abuse. However, you balance that out with all the plaudits these players also get. Football brings out the best and worst in people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.