Thank You, Ilkay Gundogan

lovely 20 minute watch here - his game was much more than the 60 goals he scored, but what a selection - that ability to produce when surrounded by defenders, or to arrive in the right spot, but also some great strikes from outside the box and from free kicks. And that run of goals to empty stadiums in early '21 - amazing. It's been a pleasure to watch him for the last 7 years.

Not everybody ‘got’ him. I myself didn't quite ‘get’ him. It took quite a while. Pep kept on selecting him, again and again and again. Then people thought, “Well, I'd better take a closer look at this. I'd better see what Pep is seeing.” In the end, we saw.
Best of luck, Gundo. We've had many good players over the last fifteen years. But you will have been one of the unforgettable ones. If you ever come back to the Etihad, even with the opposition, you'll see the welcome.

Oh, and Gundo — that goal against United. If you'd never done anything else for us… that goal!

What a pro.

some info did leak out in Jan that he signed for Barca, however to play like that and keep professional win all 3 trophies. What a player

Not everybody ‘got’ him. I myself didn't quite ‘get’ him. It took quite a while. Pep kept on selecting him, again and again and again. Then people thought, “Well, I'd better take a closer look at this. I'd better see what Pep is seeing.” In the end, we saw.
Best of luck, Gundo. We've had many good players over the last fifteen years. But you will have been one of the unforgettable ones. If you ever come back to the Etihad, even with the opposition, you'll see the welcome.

Oh, and Gundo — that goal against United. If you'd never done anything else for us… that goal!

You've hit the nail on the head there with your opening comments. Like you he frustrated me at first and I wasn't quite sure why Pep kept starting him but boy did he prove me (and others) wrong.

Tactically and positionally he's very smart. He knew when to make the runs into the box and when to hold off. His instincts and ability to read the game are second to none.

We'll miss him. But I'm a big believer in refreshing after success and given he's 32 it's a nice time for him to try new adventures. We of course must find a way to replace him - not just on a day to day basis but we need to find someone else who can step up during those pivotal moments when our back is against the wall and we need a big goal. Big shoes to fill.

One of my favorite City players. One of the best players in our club's history too. He gave us so many big moments. Will miss him for sure.

The sad thing is he has barely had time to discuss the winning of the treble with his team mates. It’s like he won it, couple of days celebrations then gone.
I know it’s because he is out of contract and he needs his income to start.
I think he could regret going there. They are miles away from what they were.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.