That Blackburn Goal

PSmyth07 said:
Say if Dzeko wasn't in line with De Gea and De Gea was say on the 6 yard line, and the pass by Joleon was made to Dzeko, would that be offside?
No. If the ball is played backwards or straight across it is never offside no matter where the opposition is. Offside rules apply to forward passes only.

PSmyth07 said:
jimharri said:
54keh.png

Say if Dzeko wasn't in line with De Gea and De Gea was say on the 6 yard line, and the pass by Joleon was made to Dzeko, would that be offside?
My (basic) understanding is that if you are behind the line of your team-mate when he completes his pass to you (as Edin is in that instance), then you cannot be ruled as being offside at that instant. Not sure what the ruling was if he was offside (but Joleon somehow wasn't) when Gareth flicked the near post header on. Then again, if Edin was offside in that scenario, the likelihood is that Joleon would be too and the flag would have gone up when JL squared the ball back to Dzeko. As the other pic showed though, Evra was playing them both onside, and it would be irrelevant where Krispy Kreme was positioned due to the ball being cut back.

bluetonium said:
The ref obviously didn't see it, but the worrying thing is that he's then thought to himslef

"Ok, not sure what happened there as I was busy doing my little jog into the box. Which went great btw. Why thank you, I have been on the slim fast. But to avoid looking like a dickhead I'll just let them play on. They are all professional footballers anyway, and what's a more honest profession that that?"

He then evidently gets a message via his earpiece along the lines of "You dickhead" from the 4th official.

Do have to feel for Wigan here. Least Yakubu could have done is come clean post match - he may have meant to tap it but he didn't. Instead he talks about how he can't recall what happened and that they deserve the luck anyway? Luck? Since when does cheating and getting away with it count as 'being lucky'?

He did

Mikem93 said:
bluetonium said:
The ref obviously didn't see it, but the worrying thing is that he's then thought to himslef

"Ok, not sure what happened there as I was busy doing my little jog into the box. Which went great btw. Why thank you, I have been on the slim fast. But to avoid looking like a dickhead I'll just let them play on. They are all professional footballers anyway, and what's a more honest profession that that?"

He then evidently gets a message via his earpiece along the lines of "You dickhead" from the 4th official.

Do have to feel for Wigan here. Least Yakubu could have done is come clean post match - he may have meant to tap it but he didn't. Instead he talks about how he can't recall what happened and that they deserve the luck anyway? Luck? Since when does cheating and getting away with it count as 'being lucky'?

He did

He bloody didn't! Certainly not straight away anyway. He was asked if he touched it post match and he said I don't know! In an interview later that day he said 'No I don't think so'.

Skashion said:
PSmyth07 said:
No. If the ball is played backwards or straight across it is never offside no matter where the opposition is. Offside rules apply to forward passes only.

Not exactly right, it's to do with relative position to the BALL when it's played by the previous player. Dzeko is behind the ball so therefore not in an offside position when the ball is played. If, say, in this photo Dzeko was stood on the goal line as Lescott played it directly towards De Gea (i.e diagonally backwards) then Dzeko comes back for it to score he would have been offside because he would have been in front of the BALL.

Offside rules do not apply to forward passes only.

Committing an offside offence:

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:
•interfering with play
•interfering with an opponent
•gaining an advantage by being in that position

Interfering with play is defined as touching the ball played by one of that player's team. Gaining an an advantage is interpreted as when it rebounds off the post/ cross bar or touches an opposition player.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.