Thatcher's State Funeral

Seosa said:
Skashion said:
Seosa said:
I was referring to the magnitude of that particular victory and how that carried him for the following 2 elections he won.
Explain.

Well you've better knowledge of the political stats than me but I was of the impression that while he did lose a small number of seats in 01 + 05, the size of the 97 meant it difficult for a Conservative victory especially while they were in a bit of a mess.
There's absolutely nothing to stop a sizeable swing from one election to another - how big a majority is makes no difference to the outcome of the next election. There's no incumbent advantage. The only difference tends to be momentum. When a party is going out it tends to be in disarray whilst a party coming in is usually fairly cohesive. The tories were in a muddle post-97, as were Labour and the SDP in 83 when Thatcher lost votes but tripled her seat majority.

Skashion said:
Seosa said:
Skashion said:

Well you've better knowledge of the political stats than me but I was of the impression that while he did lose a small number of seats in 01 + 05, the size of the 97 meant it difficult for a Conservative victory especially while they were in a bit of a mess.
There's absolutely nothing to stop a sizeable swing from one election to another - how big a majority is makes no difference to the outcome of the next election. There's no incumbent advantage. The only difference tends to be momentum. When a party is going out it tends to be in disarray whilst a party coming in is usually fairly cohesive. The tories were in a muddle post-97, as were Labour and the SDP in 83 when Thatcher lost votes but tripled her seat majority.

That's mainly what I was referring to, the impact and momentum the 97 victory had.

Lucky13 said:
Lady Thatcher was a brilliant Prime Minister who dragged this Country out of the dark ages , power cuts , 3 day week , union control etc.

Her rise from humble beginnings to leader of the Conservative Party and ultimately Prime Minister in the 1970's should be applauded.

I only wish that she had only served two terms , something the Americans have got right in their electoral process.
Your not an ex tory councillor by any chance are you?

The cookie monster said:
Lucky13 said:
Lady Thatcher was a brilliant Prime Minister who dragged this Country out of the dark ages , power cuts , 3 day week , union control etc.

Her rise from humble beginnings to leader of the Conservative Party and ultimately Prime Minister in the 1970's should be applauded.

I only wish that she had only served two terms , something the Americans have got right in their electoral process.
Your not an ex tory councillor by any chance are you?

I was 14yr old when she became Prime Minister , i've always been surprised that the feminists have never given her the accolades she deserves , she became an MP in 1959 and then goes on to be PM , an incredible achievement.

I suppose the ultimate question about a state funeral is: would a decent proportion of the country find this objectionable?

Ultimately, for such an event to be given that status, then it is right that its existence is widely received in at least a lukewarm manner.

In spite of his fairly aristocratic background and occasionally reactionary views on foreigners, I do not imagine that many left leaning UK citizens opposed Churchill's funeral being afforded such status.

On that basis I think it would be wrong to give Thatcher a state funeral. I think she did a lot of difficult and necessary things, especially in her first two terms, but that is hardly the point - that is what she was elected to do.

The point, in actual fact, is that a state funeral should be for someone who brings the nation together, and I doubt anyone would argue that was a legacy, that applied in any meaningful way, to Margaret Hilda Thatcher.

glen quagmire said:
I get pay rises and rewards. That ia because of MY graft and ability to do my job well.
My lads think i am great, i look after them very well And they can and do come to me with anything. Oh and i met bob crow briefly a few years ago, i thought he was a **** then and i still do today.
I thought as much. Leeching off the fact that your fellow workers are paying into the Union, the RMT. not your Union as you stated earlier. `Your lads ` probabley think you are great to your face, but i bet it`s not what they think when you are not around. If you work on the pway side then that will be 99% fact. My Union Branch regularly get complaints about bullying pway gangers and supervisors from all over the region.

The cookie monster said:
SWP's back said:
That's the thing. If she was as bad as bluemoon makes her out, she wouldn't have kept being re-elected.
What like blair was?
I don't see the same level of anger and hatred, nor classless comments about his death.

Do you?

SWP's back said:
The cookie monster said:
SWP's back said:
That's the thing. If she was as bad as bluemoon makes her out, she wouldn't have kept being re-elected.
What like blair was?
I don't see the same level of anger and hatred, nor classless comments about his death.

Do you?
She was just fuckin evil. FACT.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.