The ‘Proper’ Treble

You could argue that the competition, back then, was much more of a level playing field, if not heavily weighted towards Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus who had unlimited spending power, and bought all the best players in the world.

United didn't have a monopoly on winning the PL. Infact, weren't even champions of England in the treble season. And Bayern Munich were the favourites going into that game.

Also, it was a feat that was accomplished with 7 academy players. 6 of them from Greater Manchester.

This makes the 99 treble a fairly unique occurrence, that probably will never be matched.

*grabs coat*
I'm far from a Celtic fan but the greatest in testimont to history is Celtic in 1967. Won everything they entered including first UK club with a player base all within 25 mile radius of Glasgow. It will never happen again. Ever.

I'm far from a Celtic fan but the greatest in testimont to history is Celtic in 1967. Won everything they entered including first UK club with a player base all within 25 mile radius of Glasgow. It will never happen again. Ever.
A fine feat by all means and you can only judge yourself against the teams you play. But the Scottish 1st Division?

A fine feat by all means and you can only judge yourself against the teams you play. But the Scottish 1st Division?
Scottish football wasn't as atrocious back then, in fairness. Dunfermline, Dundee and Rangers all made semi finals of the Fairs Cup. Rangers won the Cup winners Cup and lost a European Cup Final. Celtic also lost another European Cup Final... all between the mid 60s and mid 70s.
(I think Hibs did well in Europe, back in the day too, but that may have been a bit earlier).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.