The Album Review Club - Week #125 - (page 1524) - Listen Like Thieves - INXS

Thanks, after liking your last two nominations, this is how you insult me.

Haha yea thougt that wasn't likely given your tastes, but couldn't think of anything else.

The war on drugs is one of those bands that friends and algorithms keep telling me I would like, but I never gave them a meaningful go. So should be an interesting one.

LIVE DRUGS THE WAR ON DRUGS

I’ve no real emotional connection with this band nor had the chance to see them live as I keep missing them, they were on recently at Glastonbury.When I first heard the single ‘Under The Pressure’ I immediately liked it although it does have those twiddly nobs that myself and Rob don’t really like.
However they get the combination of synthesiser and traditional instruments just right for me and create a very atmospheric sound.I then listened to the album and was hooked , I was going to choose yet another 70s album but I thought I’d diversify aswe don’t seem to have many nominations post 2020, Unfortunately the single ‘Under The Pressure’ got pasted by The Rubettes ??? In the cup although BH was impressed .I had already made a decision well before the cup result.Kurt Vile who some of you might know was a member of the band as lead guitarist upto the second album.
I’ve also gone for a live album ,I’ve not been a fan of live albums being nominated as although I like them I’ve always seen them as a greatest hits, I don’t think it matters here as I suspect most of you won’t be familiar with the band and IMHO this is a good live album as a number of their songs sound better live including the aforementioned’Under the Pressure’.it’s a good clear recording with very little audience participation.
There’s one cover on the album, sorry Rob but it is one of WZ’s so the band obviously have good taste!
They get a number of comparisons to The Boss and Adam Granduciel Is a big Springsteen fan.Similarities vocally and the fact there is a sax player other than that not really as they have much their own sound.

Standouts for me ‘Red Eyes’ Under the Pressue’ ‘The Dylan influenced ‘Buenos Aires Beach,Accidentally like A Martyr and the Springsteenesque ‘Eyes to the Wind’

Play Loud and hopefully enjoy!

I’ve no real emotional connection with this band nor had the chance to see them live as I keep missing them, they were on recently at Glastonbury.When I first heard the single ‘Under The Pressure’ I immediately liked it although it does have those twiddly nobs that myself and Rob don’t really like.
However they get the combination of synthesiser and traditional instruments just right for me and create a very atmospheric sound.I then listened to the album and was hooked , I was going to choose yet another 70s album but I thought I’d diversify aswe don’t seem to have many nominations post 2020, Unfortunately the single ‘Under The Pressure’ got pasted by The Rubettes ??? In the cup although BH was impressed .I had already made a decision well before the cup result.Kurt Vile who some of you might know was a member of the band as lead guitarist upto the second album.
I’ve also gone for a live album ,I’ve not been a fan of live albums being nominated as although I like them I’ve always seen them as a greatest hits, I don’t think it matters here as I suspect most of you won’t be familiar with the band and IMHO this is a good live album as a number of their songs sound better live including the aforementioned’Under the Pressure’.it’s a good clear recording with very little audience participation.
There’s one cover on the album, sorry Rob but it is one of WZ’s so the band obviously have good taste!
They get a number of comparisons to The Boss and Adam Granduciel Is a big Springsteen fan.Similarities vocally and the fact there is a sax player other than that not really as they have much their own sound.

Standouts for me ‘Red Eyes’ Under the Pressue’ ‘The Dylan influenced ‘Buenos Aires Beach,Accidentally like A Martyr and the Springsteenesque ‘Eyes to the Wind’

Absolute class band and album

As mentioned on the cup thread, I have the Lost in the Dream album, so I'll look forward to listening to this.

On a forum I used to be a member of, everybody was talking about this album when it was released.
I "knew" I wouldn't like it with it being all new and fancy dan, but I gave it a listen on Spotify and was blown away by it: exactly as you say @Mancitydoogle - the blend of synth and traditional instruments is just about right.

I've listened to the albums they've released since and not been too fussed on them.

War on Drugs played the Piece Hall in Halifax recently and I was umming and aahing about whether to go or not. Ultimately I didn’t because it was quite short notice when I found out but I wish I had.

I don’t know how I first heard them but I think they have some great songs and moments in songs. I’ve heard and like the last three albums, when I went backwards I wS less enamoured but assuming this live album covers from the start of their career I’ll be giving at least some of them another listen, possibly.

I may struggle though as I am on a Wednesday to Wednesday trip in a camper van round Pembrokeshire and South Wales. Indications so far are that connectivity might be an issue. I want to listen to this but any review might be late.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.