The Album Review Club - Week #125 - (page 1524) - Listen Like Thieves - INXS

Edit: strong suspicion that Radiohead totally ripped of Loaded Man when they wrote How to Disappear Completely
After hearing both, it's more than a strong suspicion to me. Radiohead wrote HtDC in June 1997 while on tour for OK Computer, but that is the same year that this album came out.

Those songs are just too similar and I'm quite shocked I can't find any notes about one being a rip off of the other. If there's a backstory or otherwise I'm not aware of, then I'm all ears on this one. I find it heard to believe Michael Head hasn't heard the song (and a single!) from Kid A 3 years later, with the same music, albeit the lyrics are completely different, and not had deja vu on Loaded Man.

Great observation, all the same.

Fucking NOW I feel like listening to fucking Radiohead.

Oh you're not leaving this wreck,
we're both going down with it..

As the salt water gushes,
into out ship's hulls,
don't you dare jump without me,
not good on my own.

Oh you're not leaving this wreck,
we're both going down with it..

It’s pleasant.
I don’t know the artist at all and am struggling to pin down who he sounds like. An acoustic Stone Roses on a couple of songs, a couple of 60s singer songwriters. The music is very English and I have a video of Morris Dancers in my head for one or two tracks. It’s not groundbreaking/challenging and it doesn’t engage me on any emotional level but it’s ……
Pleasant.
Want to listen again before I score it.

By the by, Mrs S is turning into a massive The War on Drugs fan thanks to the live album reviews on here. What recommendations do you have for their studio albums?

It’s pleasant.
I don’t know the artist at all and am struggling to pin down who he sounds like. An acoustic Stone Roses on a couple of songs, a couple of 60s singer songwriters. The music is very English and I have a video of Morris Dancers in my head for one or two tracks. It’s not groundbreaking/challenging and it doesn’t engage me on any emotional level but it’s ……
Pleasant.
Want to listen again before I score it.

By the by, Mrs S is turning into a massive The War on Drugs fan thanks to the live album reviews on here. What recommendations do you have for their studio albums?
Lost in the Dream, A Deeper Understanding and I Don’t Live Here Anymore are all great. As I recall you weren’t that enamoured with the live one when it was up for review.

Lost in the Dream, A Deeper Understanding and I Don’t Live Here Anymore are all great. As I recall you weren’t that enamoured with the live one when it was up for review.
It’s grown on me substantially. Sometimes an album needs time to breath. Mr’s S still a bigger fan. Was It you that proposed it mate? If so thanks.

The War on Drugs. What a right-on lefty name for a group. Maybe that’s why I approached this album with a little trepidation.
Did I like it? Did I fuck. It was like the Barron Knights reborn. Instead of the Beatles, the Stones and Freddie and the Dreamers, we got Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young and many many many others. If I were to score a band solely on originality this one would get my first zero.
Anyway, that’s that out of the way. I like good live albums and there were bits of this I did like - how couldn’t I based on who they were emulating? The guitar sound was nice in parts. I found none of the songs stood out as particularly strong and the vocals increasingly grated with repeated plays. Despite the lack of originality, the band were pretty tight and as background listening it was pleasant enough. For me though, there was nothing fresh or unique and I would rather listen to those that came before. I can’t give it any more than a 5/10.

Wow. I must of been in a grumpy mood that day. The Barron Knights no less. If I were to rescore today I would give it seven. The words would be much kinder too. Whilst I still like the guitar work. The songwriting and vocals have certainly grown on me. This list of albums is a great resource I increasingly find myself returning to when I want to listen to something that’s unfamiliar. Anyway, happy to admit my initial views were wrong.

It’s grown on me substantially. Sometimes an album needs time to breath. Mr’s S still a bigger fan. Was It you that proposed it mate? If so thanks.
no it was me, and your welcome.There‘s a few albums on here that if I were to revisit I might improve my score.
I’m going to see them live in scouseland in July.

Wasn’t me although I already knew them but hadn’t heard the live album. Loved it though, still regretting I didn’t go and see them at the Piece Hall in Halifax a year or so ago, only found out at short notice they were on there.
no it was me, and your welcome.There‘s a few albums on here that if I were to revisit I might improve my score.
I’m going to see them live in scouseland in July.
Just googled that and the two nights in Liverpool are while we are away in Norfolk. Destined not to get to see them by the looks of things.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.