The Album Review Club - Week #126 - (page 1531) - All Mod Cons - The Jam

I have two write-ups ready for my next and two in process. Don’t know if I’ll use any of them. TBF we had ABC not that long ago and that was a “get up and move” record. I was so irritated by RH I went on a writing bender among records that it sounds the least like. Almost assuredly my next record will finally break the streak I’ve had of no Top 1,100 records though. I have an all-time classic, an early 90s pick, a late 90s pick and an early 2000s one. I’ll be ready this time!!
Writing as a form of Radiohead exorcism - I like it :)

Don't feel I have much to say about this one, pleasant and relaxing for the best part. Strong distinctive guitar sound and singing. Probably would have liked it more back when it came out in that context, I imagine the post-dylan pre-indie mix of sound would have been quite interesting to me then. It was a 'split it up' album for me, as more than 3 in a row started getting a bit tedious. But individually there are some really good songs, of which for me, Something Like You and Loaded Man were my favourites. A solid 6.

The Magical World of the Strands – Michael Head & The Strands

The first three tracks aren’t bad without really hitting the mark although the mix of acoustics and strings on “Something Like You” are pleasant enough. What they do, though, is establish a nice tone for when “X Hits the Spot” lands. This has a sound right out of the 60s, in a good way. I also enjoyed “The Prize” with its changes of tempo.

I don’t know where the original “Undecided” is but the reprise here is makes for a lovely, lilting listen. “Glynys and Jaqui” features a nice break around the halfway mark and a nice psychedelic flourish at the end.

Listening to a song like “Loaded Man”, you realise that Michael Head’s performance is good enough to just have him accompany himself on acoustic guitar – his voice is good enough that the seven-minute-plus running time doesn’t feel like that. It’s a beautiful performance of a beautiful song. Every time a new verse comes around, I keep thinking that it was going to launch into Willy Wonka/Gene Wilder singing “Pure Imagination”.

“Fontilan” goes on a bit and is the only disappointment in a very good runs of tracks; “Harvest Time”, “Hocken’s Hey” and “Green velvet Jacket” all being enjoyable, chipper acoustic songs.

The font on the album cover is reminiscent of 60s psychedelic bands. Reading that Love were one of Michael Head’s heroes, this, along with the sound of this album, makes a lot of sense. One of best albums I have heard by participating in these music threads is Love’s Forever Changes.

Whilst I enjoyed The Pale Fountains’ album nominated a few weeks ago, I enjoyed this album more. Once again, rather than any standout songs, it’s the overall tone and sonic palette that I enjoyed.

The album doesn’t rely on any catchy hooks or strong rhythm through its guitar chords. It’s more intricate, finger-picking guitar work that builds up a warm, open sound that’s good to listen to. Given that I enjoyed most of the tracks, I’ll go with 7/10.

I don’t know where the original “Undecided” is but the reprise here is makes for a lovely, lilting listen.

It's on the Waterpistol album by Shack, another of his projects/bands.

Your mention of Forever Changes and my divergence into witch finders makes me think we should have that as a nomination so we can definitively root out any real wrong uns on the thread :-)

Now got visions of you in a witch finders hat roaming the countryside conducting "trial by record collection". You sure you don't hail from New England? :-)
I swear Mr Witch Finder that "Popped in, Souled out" was a present and I have never actually played it...honest.

As for this weeks nomination I thought it was something of a palate cleanser after last weeks offering. From somethign that I thought was aimed at mass sales to this beign somethign that felt so much more personal.

Hints of an acoustic "waterfall" on the first track and reminders of S&G throughout. I'm afraid my following of Mick stopped after The PF's and I have to say I was a little disappointed that there wasnt a little more variety across this. Some good tracks but I did think they did start to sound very similar. The odd change of tempo in songs was nice but perhaps not enough of it. Both wife and son said they thought they would fall asleep to this when listening in the car.

Pleasant has been used a fair few times about this and I have to agree...and as such I dont think it goes beyond a pleasant score of 6 from the Derry jury

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.