The Album Review Club - Week #140 - (page 1844) - Lovers Electric - Lovers Electric

Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus

Couldn’t really get into this one, it sounded very much of its time.
Quite liked the odd song like Mr Skin, but on the whole it’s not something I’d listen to again or a band I’d want to explore further and it was a few tracks too long.

5/10

The 18 or 19 dreams of Dr. Sardonicus, quite a challenging album, this. The timing didn't help, but even so I struggled with the chops and changes in mood and sometimes style.

I think it is always hard nominating a (what I presume is a lesser known) album from an era that sounds so much of that era, because it ultimately ends up compared against other more known works of that time, and that was a bit of a trap I fell into. Is it a bit of the rolling stones, is it a bit of rick wakeman, is there funk thrown in etc, and before you know it, you are paying more attention to things you already know than listening to the album itself.

Once I imagined it more as a concept of multiple dreams of all sorts (whether or not that is its intention), I found it less confusing.

Beyond that, the songs all seem to start really well. Some tail off, some pivot before they tail off, and a few maintain it. Nature's way was the stand-out for me. Space child a weird intermission but on its own an interesting song. Street worm had a fun groove to it.

This is one of those, overall, it is not really for me. Not so much in style and era which can often be the case when I say that, but more as a whole album and experience itself. There is however some obvious strong performance and skill there. And one or two tunes I did quite enjoy. I'd say a 6 feels fair.

Twelve Dreams of Dr.Sardonicus – Spirit

I wondered what John Locke was doing before he pitched up in Lost; now we know – his was playing keyboards in Spirit.

The album kicks off with “Prelude – Nothin’ to Hide”, which has some pleasing layers, but the guitar chords scream “early 70s” (which it obviously was) and there’s something that I don’t like about that sound. It’s better at the end with the keyboard stabs and fuzz guitar buzzing over the top.

“Nature’s Way” – has a good ambience created by the acoustic intro and then the electric joins in, and the song builds into a satisfying late 60s/early 70s sound, whilst “Animal Zoo” is a nice upbeat track with some chunky bass. Along with “Mr. Skin”, with its propulsive keyboards, and the compressed piano sound on “Street Worm”, these are the best tracks on the album.

Its is a bit of a mixed bag: some really groovy tracks, odd short songs but then some tired sounding electric guitars popping up all over the place. However, the overall effect is a pleasing melange of sound, and once again, something a little out of the ordinary that made for a good listen. Worth a 7/10.

Thought: Maybe we should move to an every two week schedule for the summer?

It would relieve the pressure on me…!

I agree that’s a good idea, it seems we have a lot less participants during the holiday season.
It's an interesting idea and funnily enough, the next two nominators are Denis and Doogle, so if they think it is a good idea then maybe we should trial it. The numbers have certainly fallen off a cliff for the last few weeks.

If we are doing this, I'll leave the current album review running until next week and then move to the two-week schedule starting on 19th July. We'll move back into once-a-week mode on 13th September (which is the week after I return from holiday and this is round about the end of summer).

19/07/2023 denislawsbackheel
02/08/2023 Mancitydoogle
16/08/2023 threespires
30/08/2023 GoatersLeftShin
13/09/2023 Gaudion M
20/09/2023 BimboBob

Of course, people can voice opposition if they feel they will be missing out!

It's an interesting idea and funnily enough, the next two nominators are Denis and Doogle, so if they think it is a good idea then maybe we should trial it. The numbers have certainly fallen off a cliff for the last few weeks.

If we are doing this, I'll leave the current album review running until next week and then move to the two-week schedule starting on 19th July. We'll move back into once-a-week mode on 13th September (which is the week after I return from holiday and this is round about the end of summer).

19/07/2023 denislawsbackheel
02/08/2023 Mancitydoogle
16/08/2023 threespires
30/08/2023 GoatersLeftShin
13/09/2023 Gaudion M
20/09/2023 BimboBob

Of course, people can voice opposition if they feel they will be missing out!

Yes please Roberto

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.