The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Foggy, you know I share your pain on this one but maybe it's time to let it go and lay it to rest? and before you get any ideas, I don't by that mean digging a shallow grave for Thom, and his accomplices :-)
Ha ha — fair enough. I just thought it was funny and amusingly-phrased. More heartening was their familiarity with all the stuff played: Tears for Fears, Smiths, Thompson Twins, 80s Bowie — and Kate Bush! — whatever I think about that music (which is generally a lot), they have their own views. My oldest loves 90s music; my youngest likes more 80s and new stuff.

Last edited:
Ha ha — fair enough. I just thought it was funny and amusingly-phrased. More heartening was their familiarity with all the stuff played: Tears for Fears, Smiths, Thompson Twins, 80s Bowie — and Kate Bush! — whatever I think about that music (which is generally a lot), they have their own views. My oldest loves 90s music; my youngest likes more 80s and new stuff.
My son lives in Melbourne, and I went to the Peter Hook gig with him prior to the FA cup final in the pub
In December I saw Morrissey with him
He reckons there’s a huge retro following of alternative/new wave / britpop underground following in various venues every Fri in Melbourne
And these are driven by students/19, 20 year olds

My son lives in Melbourne, and I went to the Peter Hook gig with him prior to the FA cup final in the pub
In December I saw Morrissey with him
He reckons there’s a huge retro following of alternative/new wave / britpop underground following in various venues every Fri in Melbourne
And these are driven by students/19, 20 year olds
That’s fantastic. Almost makes me feel young again :) My oldest and I saw Noel G in Portland last year — great fun.

And did they compare Kate Bush to Barry Manilow Fog? ;-)

Well, well, well...

I'm a bit disappointed with this album. Sure there is the behemoth that is "Down In The Tubestation", the relentless "David Watts" and the rather nice "Mr Clean". I don't really mind "English Rose" and "The Place I Love", I like the guitar at the end of "In The Crowd", very psychedelic. I like the bass. Quite a few likes there.
But then we hit the rest. I always thought The Jam were an angry act. Years must have dulled my senses because this seems very mellow. And safe.

The rest of the album then...It's like they had the six songs I've mentioned and then reworked them to fill the record out.

It gets a 6. Some good songs let down by some rather average ones.

I find the Jam a strange band, far too nice and non offensive to be anything like punk, more just 'grown up pop' and never really got their popularity really, whilst I really like a couple of songs I've heard (literally 2)...neither are on this album, and I didn't find a 3rd. It's not awful, but they certainly don't make me listen.....3.

AMC sounds both pleasant and frustrating enough to be like every other Jam record I know — thin on melody, short on crunch, lyrics so inscrutably English they don’t resonate directly with a Yank but somehow seem so heartfelt you trust all PW’s observations anyhow, tempos better when they’re consistent through a song, but somehow all good enough in total to be happy listening but too flat to reach for too often.

I’ve heard most of these before and nearly all came back to me pretty quickly. The opener is good start. On Someone — I know it’s a Foxton thing but it’s weird that the bass line is the same as on Start (which I know came later but I heard first). The time signature changes don’t really make a lot of sense here; it’s almost three songs in one, which for whatever reason doesn’t work. Mr. Clean doesn’t speak to my righteous anger as it does some of you, but it’s still a strong statement and enjoyable. I agree with those who think the piano mucks up David Watts some, but also disagree with those who think it’s a weak Kinks song — I’ve always liked it. I could understand how one could detest English Rose but I’ve always really liked it. It’s so simple and sweet. Another example of this band being impossible to hate.

In the Crowd kind of grows on you — it’s particularly Who-like, more than much I can recall of theirs. Billy Hunt is meh, though the guitar rips a bit more, and I found the Cockney rhyming slang knowledge you all dropped on me helped, but it still feels like a throwaway. I’ve never cottoned to It’s Too Bad — another weird tempo change and some grating “harmony” — nor does The Fly interest me. The Place I Love is better, though more musically than lyrically. Sometimes it feels like Weller forces his lyrics into songs and this is one of those.

The closers bring some clout though. I don’t recall hearing A Bomb before but I liked it a lot — my favo(u)rite thing here if just for the great rhythm section backing — and Weller sings with some punch too. And its kind of hard to gainsay the terrific Tube Station — I’m not sure it’s their best tune, but it’s certainly one of their best lyrics — that sense of foreboding and the detailed sketch the band draws (music and lyrics) is really sharp and scary.

So while I think this sounds a lot like The Jam I know, it also sounds better than The Jam I know. I’ve always liked Setting Sons best of their records, but after repeat plays, now I think this could give it a run for the money — a little angrier, more guitary, less prententious, still a little uneven (it wouldn’t be The Jam if it weren’t), but a solid 7/10. Nice pick!

Last edited:
I can see what works about it, I can see why it/they are well liked. And have a particular strong following. I can’t say it is a 'not for me' really, but I can see why I would have overlooked them or not been previously drawn to it.

Still, as a week long one off, it was a good listen that I found intriguing at times with a few songs to like. Glad it was put forward, and feel the richer for it. Won't mind if my algorithm randomly weaves more into my daily listening.

The bass is again the strongest here, and what gives it the interest. I find the singing trying to sound laddy and like he 'doesn't care', a bit of a forced gimmick. They borrow heavily from the Who, and they really commit to the style. It was poppier than I expected, and not as raw/pure as I imagined. The songs are sharp, catchy, and most importantly short, knowing just to stop short of overdoing it. At 37 minutes total, another album that knows its timing well. A strong 7 and a good week for me.

As an aside, makes me acknowledge I was overly harsh on the previous album. There is arguably more on it than on this one to appreciate, musically. But my expectations maybe played a part, and context and timing sways things too. I wonder if my takes would have been somewhat different if their order was reversed.

I liked the Jam when they were first introduced as a punk band (although they weren’t). I think I envied Bruce Foxons haircut at the time. Listening to this gave me what I expected to hear from a Jam album albeit I really didn’t recognise many of the tracks. What stood out for me as I expected it would was the bass. I wonder if Foxon still has his cool haircut?

I enjoyed it as a reminisce of a bygon age. Would I listen to them regularly? No.
6 out of 10 from me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.