The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Good songs get over played it shouldn't be used as a negative on the value of the song. I also don't get the general anti oasis stance, there volume of work stands up to almost anyone tbh.

Absolutely. There are some songs that are brilliant but I have heard so many times that I am not in a hurry to hear again but that would not change my opinion of them.

Went out shopping with one of my daughters, who are 23, today and we managed two plays of Definitely Maybe. She really liked it; of course some tracks she is quite familiar with due to radio play and I’m pretty sure I would have played the album to her on one of our trips to the Etihad but she doesn’t have my familiarity with the album because I have not played it that frequently during her lifetime but I did play it an awful lot when it came out.

For me, it still holds up. It’s a great debut. The opening track is one of the best opening numbers on a band’s first album ever. Liam sings it likes he means it, because he does. Noel’s guitar solo is excellent; he’s underrated as a guitar player but he solos like a guy who writes songs. The end of the song is very Who like.

Noel is something of a musical magpie and that is never more evident than on Shakermaker, which is clear evidence of Noel having had too much Coke.

The singles are fantastic and they could have released even more songs from the album as singles. Despite not being a drinker or smoker, the sheer T.Rextasy of Cigarettes & Alcohol makes it my personal favourite.

Downsides, Columbia is longer than necessary and there’s a couple of tracks late on that are fillers so it’s not quite a 10 but I still love this album so it is a 9/10.

I was too old for most of the peripheral stuff to this album and too cynical for the hype. However, this was / is an important album. It did mean that bit more for being so determinedly Manc; especially MCFC supporting Manc.

Went out shopping with one of my daughters, who are 23, today and we managed two plays of Definitely Maybe. She really liked it; of course some tracks she is quite familiar with due to radio play and I’m pretty sure I would have played the album to her on one of our trips to the Etihad but she doesn’t have my familiarity with the album because I have not played it that frequently during her lifetime but I did play it an awful lot when it came out.

For me, it still holds up. It’s a great debut. The opening track is one of the best opening numbers on a band’s first album ever. Liam sings it likes he means it, because he does. Noel’s guitar solo is excellent; he’s underrated as a guitar player but he solos like a guy who writes songs. The end of the song is very Who like.

Noel is something of a musical magpie and that is never more evident than on Shakermaker, which is clear evidence of Noel having had too much Coke.

The singles are fantastic and they could have released even more songs from the album as singles. Despite not being a drinker or smoker, the sheer T.Rextasy of Cigarettes & Alcohol makes it my personal favourite.

Downsides, Columbia is longer than necessary and there’s a couple of tracks late on that are fillers so it’s not quite a 10 but I still love this album so it is a 9/10.

I was too old for most of the peripheral stuff to this album and too cynical for the hype. However, this was / is an important album. It did mean that bit more for being so determinedly Manc; especially MCFC supporting Manc.
I definitely think on a Manc forum they maybe benefit score-wise, but so they should.

Reactions: OB1

Columbia is not long enough!

Nice review.

OT (sorry I know there was a thread about this, but so what), I saw this today:

Personally I would say Eddie VH is the greatest ever, and it's nice to see some love for Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and this list is missing Bob Mould, and Pete Townshend should be higher up . . . but my most visceral reaction was HOW THE FUCKING FUCK DOES THE EDGE MAKE THIS LIST????

Pj Harvey at 49 fuck me.
Now I like polly, and she's a bloody good singer/songwriter and live performer. I respect her.
But she's not anyway near a top 50 guitarist. I've got mates who can play better than her.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.