The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

We should change nothing. The scoring forces you to take a stand!

I mean it’s not too hard to get a good score — just pick a very popular record that everyone knows and most like. I am indifferent to whether someone does that or picks something new and/or obscure I don’t know.

They’re both fun.
I don’t mind the scoring and I don’t think it matters whether you are in keeping with the majority opinion or not. As long as your own scoring is consistent to your own personal taste.

My problem with having been out of here for a while and coming back for the last two albums, is having started with a 7 it doesn’t leave me much room for manoeuvre towards excellence in the future.
I may have started too high, depending on what comes after.

OT (sorry I know there was a thread about this, but so what), I saw this today:

Personally I would say Eddie VH is the greatest ever, and it's nice to see some love for Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and this list is missing Bob Mould, and Pete Townshend should be higher up . . . but my most visceral reaction was HOW THE FUCKING FUCK DOES THE EDGE MAKE THIS LIST????

I don’t mind the scoring and I don’t think it matters whether you are in keeping with the majority opinion or not. As long as your own scoring is consistent to your own personal taste.

My problem with having been out of here for a while and coming back for the last two albums, is having started with a 7 it doesn’t leave me much room for manoeuvre towards excellence in the future.
I may have started too high, depending on what comes after.
For me 7 is a record I would play again. 6 has some songs I'd play again. 8 is a record I would own and like a lot, nearly every song. 9s and 10s are great and going to be on my slowly-growing list of favo(u)rite records ever. 5s are flawed, 4s I dislike, below that I actively hate, with 3.14159265359 etc. specifically reserved for OK Computer. My scores also have a component of grade in- or de-flation if I sense the group here is missing something :).

Last edited:

Personally I would say Eddie VH is the greatest ever, and it's nice to see some love for Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and this list is missing Bob Mould, and Pete Townshend should be higher up . . . but my most visceral reaction was HOW THE FUCKING FUCK DOES THE EDGE MAKE THIS LIST????

To be fair to the Edge I know a bunch of players who own a delay pedal and try and copy him. He's pretty influential

To be fair to the Edge I know a bunch of players who own a delay pedal and try and copy him. He's pretty influential
I think the fact that he's included -- but very low -- has everything to do with the fact that U2 is immensely popular, but that the purveyors of this list know that he's actually not very talented, so they snuck him in near the bottom because they had to find a place for him SOMEhow. Back that old "influence vs. talent" argument I guess. Sonics are no substitute for dexterity.

I'm fine with U2 -- always have been -- but Larry Mullen is the only talented musician at his instrument compared to his other peers who play it IMO. Adam Clayton still looks at the frets FFS.

Pffft!!!
I spit on Rolling Stone.
The best guitarist of all time not even mentioned.

I think the fact that he's included -- but very low -- has everything to do with the fact that U2 is immensely popular, but that the purveyors of this list know that he's actually not very talented, so they snuck him in near the bottom because they had to find a place for him SOMEhow. Back that old "influence vs. talent" argument I guess. Sonics are no substitute for dexterity.

I'm fine with U2 -- always have been -- but Larry Mullen is the only talented musician at his instrument compared to his other peers who play it IMO. Adam Clayton still looks at the frets FFS.
The Hedge? A guitarist?
I agree about Larry.
Learned how to play the drums properly in The Artane Boys Band.

Seriously though. That R/S list is ridiculous for these very reasons.
I could name half a dozen better Irish guitarists alone, than The Hedge.

Not one included from further East than Dover so no, I don't agree with this list.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.