The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

The Incredible String Band
The Hangman’s Beautiful Daughter
As other have posted, the sitar is a beautiful instrument - long live Kula Shaker!!!!! ;-)

So............. I should have been out on a works do tonight, instead Mrs Onholiday is out (she generally carpet bombs the diary months in advance so that I am left with the occasional Tuesday night to venture out) ;-)

I've got the laptop a few gins in so lets take a swing at this - its fair to say it appears to be splitting opinion as usual (great stuff @denislawsbackheel).

As I have previously offered, your write up was brilliant and really got me thinking (after my first listen when I was absolutely panning the album ;-) ) is that I can't even begin to appreciate hearing it for the first time from your perspective in relation to your experience being 12(?) and more than likely more impressionable and in a completely different era.

Can't say that I am particularly familiar with psychedelic folk music on the whole as far as I can remember - however some of it does feel like it should be played by the fiddler / lute player in the Blackadder ii end credits leaping around that fancy fountain, annoying Edmund in that extravagant garden setting.

Maybe just me.

Straight off the bat, when you guys first heard The Minotaur's Song, did no-one else's mind immediately go to I've found a doctor (is that what its called?) by The Who from Tommy (or vice versa)?

in addition, was the vocalist just channelling If I was a rich man in that second song (or is it the 3rd) - I forget?

This is my 3rd listen whilst I work through this, to be fair it is immediately sounding a lot more appealing to me as its no longer playing to me whilst fighting traffic southbound on the M6 in the pissing rain (fair to say, that isn't the setting to appreciate this genre). My Sonos speakers from different rooms also help pretty much all music.

Another point of note is that this music feels a lot easier to digest from a distance and a more relaxed setting - I'm finding myself warming to it quite a bit.

I'm no longer distracted by the unusual vocals - to a point I don't really care about what they are singing about (not all music gets that pass) - I think you can kind of feel a vibe? This isn't to say that I don't raise an eyebrow at some quirky directions that the music takes, but it isn't overall unpleasant.

I like the array of the instruments utilised - not sure I even dislike the heavy use of woodwind that I wouldn't usually warm to either.

As per usual enough of the waffle - where are we?

I think I'm about hang myself here in a scoring perspective that I will find difficult to apply logic to in future scores, but at this moment I'm thinking 5/10.

I think I will be able enjoy and dislike this album in equal measure pending the setting and company that listen to it. I would also suggest that this is a genre has quite a slender corridor of likeability to navigate through that its pretty impressive that we are here now.

18 year old me (certainly less rounded than I am now in more than one way) would not have managed to finish this album - I'm actually open to it....................

So having listened to 'The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter' a few times now I feel able to review.

Firstly, I like a bit of folk music, so why would I not like psychedelic folk?
Turns out I did.

Some albums I like to analyse forensically, listening to the different instruments, lyrics, production etc. This one I just let flow over me and it made me smile and lightened my mood significantly - always a very good sign. I loved how the different songs changed direction and took you places you really weren't expecting to go. One minute in a flower strewn meadow, one minute an extra in Monty Python and the Holy grail, the next on set in 'The Whicker Man'. I could have sworn I was sitting in an underground cave with water dripping down the walls at some point. All that without the help of any 'substance', just the immersive music.

I tried to think of a comparison with another album and the best I could come up with was Joanna Newsome's Ys. It had a similar unusual lyrical feel to it (and its one of my all time favourite albums).

I liked every song, loved the lyrics crazy as they were, the instrumentation was a delight and I loved the acoustic guitar work particularly. Nice to hear a jaw harp and bongos!

I thought I had listened to this album back in the day but didn't recognise it at all so I come at this totally fresh. It gets an 8/10. Thanks @denislawsbackheel for proposing it. I will certainly play it again and again.

This album is beautiful.

I remember my dad taking me to watch the Incredible String Band at the Life Cafe on Peter St, around 2004?

That venue has long since closed but I’ll always remember that gig.

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Robin Williamson subsequently through my job, when he toured with John Renbourn, probably around 10 years ago now.

Watching those two perform was pretty special. One of those magical moments where an artist has 100% of the attention of the audience and you could hear a pin drop.

This album is beautiful.

I remember my dad taking me to watch the Incredible String Band at the Life Cafe on Peter St, around 2004?

That venue has long since closed but I’ll always remember that gig.

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Robin Williamson subsequently through my job, when he toured with John Renbourn, probably around 10 years ago now.

Watching those two perform was pretty special. One of those magical moments where an artist has 100% of the attention of the audience and you could hear a pin drop.
If you enjoy this album, it could probably do with some help in the ratings. Care to offer a score?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.