The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Based on the lyrics to "In the Gallery", "Les Boys" and "Money For Nothing."
In the Gallery is about a Northern artist who died without recognition and was written when Knopfler saw what he deemed as unworthy examples of art in a London art room. I'm not seeing anything untoward there myself. Written at the time of the North/South divide starting to take hold in the UK and as a Scot-Geordie, MK would have been very aware of this.

Money for Nothing is known for using the fa____ word of course, but this was written in different times and he wrote that particular lyric for a character in the song. It's no different to the way Seth McFarlane writes words for Peter Griffin today but I wouldn't attribute that character's opinions onto their creator. Would Knopfler use the word today in a song? Of course not, but in a way it's sad that he can't because it hides the fact characters like that still exist.

Les Boys is possibly one of the first songs written by a rock/pop group to openly talk about gay characters in its lyrics. I never felt comfortable with it because it could be viewed as dreadfully stereotyped and defines the characters as operating in seedy areas however the lyrics also suggest that they are purely teasing the clientele and actually don't engage in anything other than that but would prefer to dream of Jean Genet, who was a homosexual political activist. I'm unsure of where Knopfler was going with this song, personally, but I don't see a hatred in there. Brave to write about it all the same.

In the Gallery is about a Northern artist who died without recognition and was written when Knopfler saw what he deemed as unworthy examples of art in a London art room. I'm not seeing anything untoward there myself. Written at the time of the North/South divide starting to take hold in the UK and as a Scot-Geordie, MK would have been very aware of this.

Money for Nothing is known for using the fa____ word of course, but this was written in different times and he wrote that particular lyric for a character in the song. It's no different to the way Seth McFarlane writes words for Peter Griffin today but I wouldn't attribute that character's opinions onto their creator. Would Knopfler use the word today in a song? Of course not, but in a way it's sad that he can't because it hides the fact characters like that still exist.

Les Boys is possibly one of the first songs written by a rock/pop group to openly talk about gay characters in its lyrics. I never felt comfortable with it because it could be viewed as dreadfully stereotyped and defines the characters as operating in seedy areas however the lyrics also suggest that they are purely teasing the clientele and actually don't engage in anything other than that but would prefer to dream of Jean Genet, who was a homosexual political activist. I'm unsure of where Knopfler was going with this song, personally, but I don't see a hatred in there. Brave to write about it all the same.
Might as well tar Shane McGowan with the same brush.

The reference to the “trendy boys” in “In The Gallery” was at the time, definitively code for gay men. Why make the reference at all?

The “Money for Nothing” line — the most controversial because it was the most popular song — begs the question — why does the “character” NEED to say it? For shock value? As someone else pointed out, if he had said “little ______ with the spit curl”, wouldn’t the world — including MTV — have been outraged?

In the context of “Les Boys” — which I find akin to Knopfler looking at animals in a zoo — and the “trendy boys” (who screw the “real artist”, of course, in the song), I think my conclusion about him is correct.

That’s not to say I don’t appreciate some of DS music or Knopfler’s skill as a guitarist. But it’s been very hard to get beyond these references.

Last edited:
I travelled to Hebden to offer my new airbuds an outing whilst channeling thoughts and listening in to DLBH's album choice.

I asked many boats along the road to Sowerby if they had ever heard of The Incredible String Band from Scotland, but I just drew derisory blanks. Boats can be rented so they had to be day trippers and tourists buying into perceived ecleptic dreams as there was no other plausible explanation too chew upon.

I thought that this place was the home of shiny happy people-hippi-ism and the spiturally religious that go by the name of New Age. Adopting beliefs of the holistic as forms of divinity and then marrying their inner self to be being as one with that universe. I used to be a trainee hippie back in the day owning a full length and a sleevless Afghan, beautifying my mantra with petuli oil in a desperate desire to fit in.

Spiritual wisdom and the age of Aquarious my arsehole as these day trippers knew nothing about nothing, so after listening to the album in more depth we retreated to a centrally heated Micro Pub back in town.

You have to close quarter chat in these places as they are so small which is a good thing as it encourages dialogue. After a flaggon or two of Bosuns IPA a customer we befriended said he'd actually owned the album and that it is easy to dispell the band without first examing what they were really all about.

One of the songs on the album a Very Cellular Song aparantly has connection with the kundalini yoga movement and that the music is well connected in the area Hebden so may the long time sun shine upon you.

On returning home I did some research off the Tube and it transpires that the kiunduli movement song may the long time sun shine is Mike Herons work and not belonging one iota to their movement. It is in fact the final composition of the Very Cellular Song and may the long time sun shine upon you, all love surround you and the pure light within you, guide you all the way on.

If thats not lyrics to die for, then I will show my arse in Burtons Window. I didn't want to just listen and dispell the album out of hand because it did receive some well recognised adulation, so it's only fair to listen in and dig as deep as possible. "Open my eyes that I may see, glimpses of truth thou hast for me; Place in my hands the wonderful key, that shall unclasp and set me free" .. Oh yes indeed!

I guess the cellurar song is my favourite from the album next to Minotaur and the more I play it the more I become embroiled. Have a read below as it explains things far more eloquently than ever I could. I guess there's nothing wrong with chanting .. but there is a time and a place.

I would add lyrics to this fine song but we'd be here all day ... but safe to say they are quite exscuisite.

I am not going to dwell into detail with the albums other offerings as some were more pleasing than others.
I think poster Mr Journolud said it best when he mentioned that... It's not that I look on this like I do my first ex-wife and wonder what did I see in her but it's more a case of the little quirks that used to be so endearing are now, well you know how it goes. In the immortal words of Bob Dylan .. the times they are a changing and what tickled us all back in the day may not tickle us in the hear and now.

Quote from the intraweb:
"This album has the unique characteristic of being new (not just fresh) each time I listen to it (and I listen to it a lot!). I don't find this phenomenon in any other album. There seems to be infinite paths for the mind to follow through each song, I think due to the spontaneous, creative approach by the band to the music and compositions. Robin Williamson's lyrics seem to lead you in a variety of directions on each hearing, as well. It remains completely novel, an understated, complex-yet-simple integrated work by a group plugged into something big"

I wouldn't have listed to this album if were not for this thread and so I shall happily score it a solid 6.85/10

If anyone fancies a trip to Hebden to seek enlightenment from their utterly mundane City lifestyles then after using your 2 together railcards mentioned in the B.F thread you can have a" find your inner self day trip" for only £7 return direct from the Victoria station.

The Mike Heron Band A very Cellurar Song..Live at record store day 2013 ..Incredible String Band

Atmospherics to die for !

Last edited:
I travelled to Hebden to offer my new airbuds an outing whilst channeling thoughts and listening in to DLBH's album choice.

I asked many boats along the road to Sowerby if they had ever heard of The Incredible String Band from Scotland, but I just drew derisory blanks. Boats can be rented so they had to be day trippers and tourists buying into perceived ecleptic dreams as there was no other plausible explanation too chew upon.

I thought that this place was the home of shiny happy people-hippi-ism and the spiturally religious that go by the name of New Age. Adopting beliefs of the holistic as forms of divinity and then marrying their inner self to be being as one with that universe. I used to be a trainee hippie back in the day owning a full length and a sleevless Afghan, beautifying my mantra with petuli oil in a desperate desire to fit in.

Spiritual wisdom and the age of Aquarious my arsehole as these day trippers knew nothing about nothing, so after listening to the album in more depth we retreated to a centrally heated Micro Pub back in town.

You have to close quarter chat in these places as they are so small which is a good thing as it encourages dialogue. After a flaggon or two of Bosuns IPA a customer we befriended said he'd actually owned the album and that it is easy to dispell the band without first examing what they were really all about.

One of the songs on the album a Very Cellular Song aparantly connection with the kundalini yoga movement and that the music's well connected in the area Hebden so may the long time sun shine upon you.

On returning home I did some research off the Tube and it transpires that the kiunduli movement song may the long time sun shine is Mike Herons work and not belonging one iota to their movement. It is in fact the final composition of the Very Cellular Song and may the long time sun shine upon you, all love surround you and the pure light within you, guide you all the way on.

If thats not lyrics to die for, then I will show my arse in Burtons Window. I didn't want to just listen and dispell the album out of hand because it did receive some well recognised adulation, so it's only fair to listen in and dig as deep as possible. "Open my eyes that I may see, glimpses of truth thou hast for me; Place in my hands the wonderful key, that shall unclasp and set me free" .. Oh yes indeed!

I guess the cellurar song is my favourite from the album next to Minotaur and the more I play it the more I become embroiled. Have a read below as it explains things far more eloquently than ever I could. I guess there's nothing wrong with chanting .. but there is a time and a place.

I would add lyrics to this fine song but we'd be here all day ... but safe to say they are quite exscuisite.

I am not going to dwell into detail with the albums other offerings as some were more pleasing than others.
I think poster Mr Journolud said it best when he mentioned that... It's not that I look on this like I do my first ex-wife and wonder what did I see in her but it's more a case of the little quirks that used to be so endearing are now, well you know how it goes. In the immortal words of Bob Dylan .. the times they are a changing and what tickled us all back in the day may not tickle us in the hear and now.

Quote from the intraweb:
"This album has the unique characteristic of being new (not just fresh) each time I listen to it (and I listen to it a lot!). I don't find this phenomenon in any other album. There seems to be infinite paths for the mind to follow through each song, I think due to the spontaneous, creative approach by the band to the music and compositions. Robin Williamson's lyrics seem to lead you in a variety of directions on each hearing, as well. It remains completely novel, an understated, complex-yet-simple integrated work by a group plugged into something big"

I wouldn't have listed to this album if were not for this thread and so I shall happily score it a solid 6.85/10

If anyone fancies a trip to Hebden to seek enlightenment from their utterly mundane City lifestyles then after using your 2 together railcards mentioned in the B.F thread you can have a" find your inner self day trip" for only £7 return.

The Mike Heron Band A very Cellurar Song..Live at record day store 2013 ..Incredible String Band

Bob, I take my imaginary hat off to you. Your review was an extremely good read, showing that there's more than to a review that saying either "it's shit" or "it's the best thing ever".

True, I was tempted to ask if you tripped and banged your head somewhere along the canal towpath, but reading your piece was nothing less than entertaining. You are welcome in here any time and I hope you stick around to share your thoughts on all the albums we've got to come over the weeks, months and years.

I was tempted to complain about your 6.85 rating, but what the hell, I'm using Excel to generate the averages so I'm quite happy to accept any number between 0.0000001 and 10.

I was tempted to complain about your 6.85 rating, but what the hell, I'm using Excel to generate the averages so I'm quite happy to accept any number between 0.0000001 and 10.
Blame the Europhiles..that's what I say : /

Last edited:

One of the songs on the album a Very Cellular Song aparantly has connection with the kundalini yoga movement and that the music is well connected in the area Hebden so may the long time sun shine upon you.

Quote from the intraweb:

If anyone fancies a trip to Hebden to seek enlightenment from their utterly mundane City lifestyles then after using your 2 together railcards mentioned in the B.F thread you can have a" find your inner self day trip" for only £7 return direct from the Victoria station.

The Mike Heron Band A very Cellurar Song..Live at record store day 2013 ..Incredible String Band

Bloody Hell Two Gun, and Wow !
I loved reading your review. Ive always said since you "Lacota" days you have enormous talent, reading that first part (before being fully plasmatised by my first Lavazza of the day, Im 10 hours ahead of you remember) was like some Kendu religious experience on Hebden Bridge heather (always a Psychedelics place late 60s) listening to a dry stone wall reveal its secrets of witchery and midnight frolics.
You have indeed caught the essence of the Northmen. :)

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this album!

It's one I've not heard before from a band I've not come across before.

I like the "crossover" between folk music and the sitar, it's a really nice sound. Am I the only one who'd love to own a sitar? :) I didn't find that any of the songs stood out, but neither did I want to skip them either. I think it says a lot about them that if someone told me this was a new band, I wouldn't be surprised either. It sounds both psychedelic - and therefore from a certain few years - and yet new too.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it and I was quite curious to hear the next song, yet I'm not sure if I like it.

I honestly don't know how to score this one. I'm going to file it under "I'm not sure if I like it, so listen to it a few times as there's some decent songs on there". I normally come back to these kinds of albums.

6/10

I must admit I havent listened to any Folky Rocky Psychy music for years, bands like this and Pentangle, Fairport were introduced to me by a Celtic hippy girlfriend in the early 70's, she was a free spirit, the type who wanted to dance around Stonehenge naked, (I wasnt doing that) when she realized I was serious about being an Engineer and buying a house she moved on to another lover who also saw other ways of life (mainly poverty in squat like conditions), filled with "tangerine trees and marmalade skies. "
I couldve been drawn in fully but the "it makes better sense" side of me wouldnt let me take that imaginary Hippy bus to Kathmandu.
The music stayed with me however (unlike her) and I loved the Celtic imagery of these bands Pentangle probably being my favourite, although Fairports Sandy Denny had the best and purest voice of the lot of them.
For many fans this is a high point in the Incredible String Band discography..... it's shorter than the sprawling double album Wee Tam and the Big Huge, and crucially it predates their conversion to Scientology which sent them spinning down an often-contentious path - this is a nigh-archetypal work of psychedelic hippy folk. Nods to Indian raga music, a strange sense of humour, and the help of some friends allow the duo of Heron and Williamson to produce the closest a prerecorded studio album can get to sounding like a spontaneous hippy jam session.
I believe Fairport Convention guest on backing vocals, (they were mates) providing a chorus used to good effect in The Minotaur's Song.
This is a journey through all four corners of the acoustic side of psych, and a well steered one at that. There's just something about allowing oneself to enter into the light and welcoming the music ISB had to offer that even many folk bands forget about, then and now. Perhaps too minimalistic for some - and not by intention - but this is wonderful and enjoyable work. Yes the vocals wander slightly off key but for me it adds to the atmosphere and lets face it, were not listening a bloody West End Lloyd Webber branch of fakedom.
Love it or hate it, as you will but these guys were invested in this ancient music and I admire their lack of desire for materialism and Top Of The Pops adulation/$$$.

7/10

Im tempted to go higher as I dont want to lose bottom spot with Red, but honesty took over my intended craftiness.

That bit sounds like its been written by a psychedelic folk musician. I can see Steve Peregrine Took on the bongos accompanying that. ;-)
Now come on mate, nothing will match this..

"Rose, Rose, Rose, Rose
No bigger than a bubby's thumb.
Medieval dublet, elk horn ornamented woodland trumpet,
Cradling your musket son
."

Who can work that one out and What is a bubby's thumb ?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.