The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Well . . . . if The Beatles, Stones, Led Zep and Who are the "greatest" classic rock bands of the late 60s and 70s (and many would argue all-time), who are four "greatest" post-punk/pre-grunge bands of the 80s? Would someone make a case for U2, REM, The Police and Talking Heads?

This is not to open a can of worms (I know a lot of folks dislike one or all of those four 80s bands) -- just trying to draw a parallel at the number 4.

whilst I can reasonably happily listen to a little bit of any of those 80's bands without wanting to cut off my ears, trying to draw a parallel is a bit like comparing 5.5% real ale with alcohol free lager, sorry

Well . . . . if The Beatles, Stones, Led Zep and Who are the "greatest" classic rock bands of the late 60s and 70s (and many would argue all-time), who are four "greatest" post-punk/pre-grunge bands of the 80s? Would someone make a case for U2, REM, The Police and Talking Heads?

This is not to open a can of worms (I know a lot of folks dislike one or all of those four 80s bands) -- just trying to draw a parallel at the number 4.

The Smiths, REM, Talking Heads maybe, The Stone Roses, Depeche Mode, The Cure. Don't think The Police or U2 would feature.

Chesterbells says it best for me regarding a dip in quality song for song in 3 &4 however Bron-Y-Aur ( a master stroke to play a short Scottish folk instrumental with only acoustic , bass and spoons to hear in effect after a longish intro track to side 3) , the Wanton Song and Boogie with Stu would grace any album they made and IMO make the double album more than hold its own as a double album.

Their version of In My Time of Dying cheekily got them line credits but its such a departure from Dylan's shorter earlier version and his inspiration from the traditional gospel blues from Blind Willie Johnson it gets my nod as a Led Zeppelin original and for me its in my top 3 all time Zeppelin songs.

I am sure I have listened to it over 1000 times in its entirety and I never grow tired of it as I do with some of my other favourites that I come back to when required.

Amazing band at the peak of their powers in 1974/75 that have given me so much enjoyment for so many years when alone and with people I hold dear to me and I didn't need to get high to get high on this album which for me says a lot about the brilliance of the sound and the musicianship of the four members the obvious stand out as the forerunners of heavy metal with their brilliant and clever mix of blues and folk and hard rock throughout this album.

Side 2 as fog has already said speaks for itself as pure musical genius.

I have to put it above as a rating over Fogs pick as much as I love listening to and enjoy the Replacements and have for over 35 years now so its a 10/10 for me but if half points were allowed it would be 9.5 because its not perfection for me at least even for Led Zep as great a band that they are.

Great choice OB1 I would have been more than happy the untitled number 4 but its clear to me they have with this a stand out of their rich and varied catalogue given you some of your most enjoyable hopefully inspirational music you have had the pleasure to listen to and I can say honestly hand on heart they have likewise for me.

Last edited:
YES.

Yes. Yes. YES.

This is the best album by the best band that ever existed.

Ten Years Gone is possibly my favourite moment in music. The Rover is one of the best riffs ever. In The Light does things in my belly. Night Flight makes me stop whatever I was doing. Sick Again just makes me want to play it all over again.

I LOVE THIS RECORD.

Wow - it's like a who's who of who I don't want to listen to............ ;-)

YES.

Yes. Yes. YES.

Ten Years Gone is possibly my favourite moment in music. The Rover is one of the best riffs ever. In The Light does things in my belly. Night Flight makes me stop whatever I was doing. Sick Again just makes me want to play it all over again.

I LOVE THIS RECORD.
Solid 4/10?

YES.

Yes. Yes. YES.

I LOVE THIS RECORD.
Are you giving us a score, @Stuuuuuu (or are you too busy boogying?)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.