The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Nice write up mate. I must have been one of those older boys as I did indeed have a canvas rucksack painted orange (of all colours) with a splendid zoso rune in jet black across it.

I know the album very well but in terms of playing the game will go and listen to it again a couple of times with my critical hat on. I can’t agree it’s the best double ever as my previous pick holds that accolade and then there is Quodraphenia, Ariel, Tommy, Lamb, Exile, Sign o the times...I find one disk far stronger than the other but there is no doubt you have made a fine (if rather safe) choice ;-)

On the greatest double album thing, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek in dissing other ones that I own and love (well not so much The White Album!) but as it is my favourite album, it is inevitably my favourite double. I don't know Ariel but will recitify that at some point; Tommy, Quad and Sign are great and The Who are one of my favourite bands.

First song I heard off the album. I loved it - and predictably my mom hated it!

Anyone else have the original album - with the cover insert that you could slide back and forth to make different characters appear in the windows?

Last edited:

First song I heard off the album. I loved it - and predictably my mom hated it!

Just one of the awesome songs off of my favorite Zeppelin album.

Anyone else have the original album - with the cover insert that you could slide back and forth to make different characters appear in the windows?

I do, yes.

Wonderful album review from OB1, as per the other poster’s comments. And like probably everyone else who has read it, it’s got me desperate to dig it out again and play the album again too.
It seems churlish to take issue with anything in tbh, as I basically agree. However, this being a forum an’ all, I guess I might as well.
1) I had it for ages on a single AD 90 TDK tape, and would always play side one of the tape, but just FF the second side. Like others have posted, I think sides 3&4 are more uneven, and the quality dips, with some ‘throwaway’ tracks. For that reason it’s a 9/10 album for me. If they’d just released sides 1&2 as a single album then it would be 10/10.
2) re the comment about Kashmir, great track that it is, for epic sounds, I actually prefer Stargazer. Even though possibly, ahem, inspired by Kashmir, that Rainbow track is unsurpassed in terms of lyrics, vocal performance, instrument playing and orchestration. They say Phil Spector created the Wall of Sound, well that track for me has it and then some.
3) ob1’s frequent mentions of layering of guitar sounds just kinda reinforces my view about how Zeppelin really were masters of the studio recording, but that with technology as it was in the 70s they would have benefited so, so much from having an additional musician tour with them live. Floyd did it to fantastic effect with Snowy White, and I don’t know if it was the band or Grant being money-minded, or an ego thing from Page, but to do justice to these off-the-scale studio tracks live they needed it, imho.

Anyway as I said, cheers @OB1 - a pleasure to read :-)

Led Zep v Talking Heads - it's like a Champions League final.
Well . . . . if The Beatles, Stones, Led Zep and Who are the "greatest" classic rock bands of the late 60s and 70s (and many would argue all-time), who are four "greatest" post-punk/pre-grunge bands of the 80s? Would someone make a case for U2, REM, The Police and Talking Heads?

This is not to open a can of worms (I know a lot of folks dislike one or all of those four 80s bands) -- just trying to draw a parallel at the number 4.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.