The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

By way of a it bit of a bump, I mentioned that Levi Stubbs Tears was probably my favourite Bragg song. The other candidate is off what is probably my favourite Bragg album, which changes at points in time but is more often than not the album Don't Try This At Home. It's a song he wrote for his dad, I lost my own a couple of years after this was released and it has always resonated.

Also, as we're on a football forum there is another song on that album called God's Footballer based on the story of the Wolves player Peter Knowles (younger brother of 'nice one Cyril' Knowles) who packed in the game. His story is here https://themalestrom.com/sport/the-greatest-footballer-that-never-was-peter-knowles/

and this is the song

Finally for the Braggistas who've already commented why not leave a score out of 10 too? :-)

Last edited:
The War On Drugs - Live Drugs

First time I heard these was the song cup with ‘Under The Pressure’ , I instantly fell in love and posted I hope someone nominates one of their Albums soon. So Thankyou!

They’re so good and clean live that it doesn’t even resonate as a live Album for me - for the upbeat tracks it’s like a mix of Dylan with the E Street Band , what more can ya want ?! Other tracks just float so gently and beautifully before building and breaking euphorically, ‘Thinking Of A Place’, ‘Eyes To The Wind’ and ‘Under The Pressure’ all gems and not one bad track at all. Lovely harmonic patches and sax aswell.

Might look out for a UK gig for sure for these lot.

8/10

* bloody hell, was hoping to catch up but Billy Bragg 20+ songs is no mean feat. I know he’s round my neck of the woods but never really listened (New England aside) - Need to understand what he’s all about. gonna take a fair few listens.

Last edited:
The War On Drugs - Live Drugs

First time I heard these was the song cup with ‘Under The Pressure’ , I instantly fell in love and posted I hope someone nominates one of their Albums soon. So Thankyou!

They’re so good and clean live that it doesn’t even resonate as a live Album for me - for the upbeat tracks it’s like a mix of Dylan with the E Street Band , what more can ya want ?! Other tracks just float so gently and beautifully before building and breaking euphorically, ‘Thinking Of A Place’, ‘Eyes To The Wind’ and ‘Under The Pressure’ all gems and not one bad track at all. Lovely harmonic patches and sax aswell.

Might look out for a UK gig for sure for these lot.

8/10

* bloody hell, was hoping to catch up but Billy Bragg 20+ songs is no mean feat. I know he’s round my neck of the woods but never really listened (New England aside) - Need to understand what he’s all about. gonna take a fair few listens.
The Billy Bragg album is really only 12 (?) songs - it’s another one of those deluxe albums with a load of bonus tracks.

Meant to say that whilst it’s admirable that you are playing catch-up, you’d be best reviewing the current week and catching up when you have a bit more time because scores don’t get logged after the week of the nomination.

The Billy Bragg album is really only 12 (?) songs - it’s another one of those deluxe albums with a load of bonus tracks.

Meant to say that whilst it’s admirable that you are playing catch-up, you’d be best reviewing the current week and catching up when you have a bit more time because scores don’t get logged after the week of the nomination.

Good point

I’ll put Bragg on the burner and start fresh for tomorrows one

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.