The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Some interesting comments on this album and more evidence of people’s varying tastes.

I’ve had to listen to the album whilst working so no deep analysis from me (not my style anyway).

I’m in “The Whole of the Moon” is a fine single camp. I was never tempted though to invest in one of their albums so this was an interesting listen.

I think the production tries hard, perhaps too hard, but isn’t a complete success.

I did enjoy the album though overall but found Mike Scott’s vocals a bit wearing over a whole album.

I’m not sure that I would buy it so it will have to be a 6/10.

Some great reviews and comments so far but what struck me straight away was the idea of @threespires going hard at "Greensleeves" on his recorder.

As someone who cannot wait to get my Phil Spector Christmas album on in the car, I have to say I do like the whole Big Music idea and sound. That said, it is of its time. Pretty much like the saxophone, something every band had to have in the 80s.

I do own this album but must confess to not having played it for years so it was really nice to be pushed back into listening....and it was a real pleasure. From start to finish it was "super enjoyable" and I shall be making a point of sticking it on my playlist for the car. No point in my view going through the tracks as @RobMCFC review summed it all up for me, not a duffer on there.

So how to score it...I went for a 10 on The Lonesome Jubilee so had to think if I would put it along side that. In this case I dont think it is quite there, so will go for a 9 from the Derry jury

I often find this, but the more I think I will, and hope, to like a particular album, it normally falls a bit short, and as much as i wish i didn't expect too much, some albums just rocket the expectation.....this was another potential 9 or 10 before listening!
Would happily listen to it, but probably not ever choose it.....a decent, but not great listen.....7.

Real blast from the past for me this one. Red Army Blues for me into TW and I loved this album from its release. As I said in a previous comment A Pagan Place is my favourite but this runs it close.
I will concede that based on modern standards, for my ear, it is a bit over produced and can be a bit too brassy at times.
Not the biggest fan of Whole of the Moon probably as it has been played to death. My go to tracks are the opener, Medicine Bow and The Pan Within.
I prefer to listen to it as a whole though as it seems to flow along at a lovely pace. Not sure how many hooks etc it has, I just like losing myself in it.
Solid 9/10 for me - APP would have been a 10 :)

Edit - this and APP are the only albums I’ve listened to, and I’m not really sure why. I think I might need to rectify that soon!!

Last edited:
So how to score it...I went for a 10 on The Lonesome Jubilee so had to think if I would put it along side that. In this case I dont think it is quite there, so will go for a 9 from the Derry jury
I know I mentioned it in my review, but just to be clear, for me this album isn’t even close to The Lonesome Jubilee. There are 15-20 albums I own that I’d rate at 10, TLJ being top of the pile.

However, in the context of what others are likely to nominate on this thread, and given how much I really enjoyed This is the Sea, I felt 10 was the fairest score.
I prefer to listen to it as a whole though as it seems to flow along at a lovely pace. Not sure how many hooks etc it has, I just like losing myself in it.
It does flow nicely from track to track and has a consistency to the sound that I appreciated .

Some great reviews and comments so far but what struck me straight away was the idea of @threespires going hard at "Greensleeves" on his recorder.

As someone who cannot wait to get my Phil Spector Christmas album on in the car, I have to say I do like the whole Big Music idea and sound. That said, it is of its time. Pretty much like the saxophone, something every band had to have in the 80s.

I do own this album but must confess to not having played it for years so it was really nice to be pushed back into listening....and it was a real pleasure. From start to finish it was "super enjoyable" and I shall be making a point of sticking it on my playlist for the car. No point in my view going through the tracks as @RobMCFC review summed it all up for me, not a duffer on there.

Not been able to bring myself to play Greensleeves since I found out Henry VIII actually had fuck all to do with it. These days If I'm going to whip out my recorder My Heart Will Go In is my weapon of choice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.