The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Although I quite like Kick, well, Never Tear Us Apart and Mediate, I always thought that was the zenith of their career and never gave previous stuff much quarter as it seemed to be very generic Aussie rock.

Let's see if my prejudices are out of wack.

Last edited:
I went through a brief Inx/Simple Minds/Dire Straits/ Level 42 Phase. Happily it didn’t last too long. Despite that I will put my many prejudices to one side and give this a proper listen.

Interesting choice - if my life depended on it I couldn’t name any song by Inxs. I’m sure (or maybe not so sure) that I may recognise a few when I give it a listen

Never liked them, was dragged along to see them at Wembley with the girlfriend at the time who loved them and to be fair they were great live.

Had a look at the track listing to see if I was familiar with anything but I don't think so. A band that many people speak highly of but that have mostly passed me by other than their radio play. Will be interesting to see how I find it.

Apologies for the delay in posting and going back to the playlist/guessing game briefly……I’ve been holidaying on the (sometimes) sunny shores of Lake Garda but following the thread via my phone and was delighted to see that my song nomination was the top choice.

However, in the interests of full disclosure, I should point out that I first heard this song myself only a few weeks ago, on Folk Alley Radio I believe. I know nothing about this band/album other than what I have read since. The song made an instant impact and has clearly done so with a number of other posters too. It leapfrogged a number of selections as my nomination for this playlist.

As an aside regarding the Leonard Cohen track, there’s a covers album of his songs by Jennifer Warnes called “Famous Blue Raincoat” which is well worth a listen.

As an aside regarding the Leonard Cohen track, there’s a covers album of his songs by Jennifer Warnes called “Famous Blue Raincoat” which is well worth a listen.
That was the version of the song that I heard.

Congratulations on winning the song poll. I thought the Junip song was great.

Second listen this evening.
I’m sort of getting the same feeling both times.
I think it’s surprisingly appealing for the most part. Nothing that I could say is outstanding or a grabber, but ultimately I think the album runs out of steam towards the end.
Maybe the last three or four tracks.

It’s pleasant enough in the background and I definitely get the vibe that this would be worth seeing live.

I do think there is a lot could be done with a few numbers in a live setting and I can imagine him being the frontman for it.

But ultimately, twice now, my interest waned at the end.

We’ll go again tomorrow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.