The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

As a Yank, Oasis we’re never quite the phenomenon over here as there which makes it a bit easier for me to not have to think about the hype nor forget that it was the soundtrack to my youth which it wasn’t. That said, I’ve heard it a bunch along with WTSMG so I have thoughts . . .

BTW is this our first repeat band?

As a Yank, Oasis we’re never quite the phenomenon over here as there which makes it a bit easier for me to not have to think about the hype nor forget that it was the soundtrack to my youth which it wasn’t. That said, I’ve heard it a bunch along with WTSMG so I have thoughts . . .

BTW is this our first repeat band?

Threepeat, if you include Noel.

I couldn’t wait for this album to come out, having already heard Supersonic and Shakermaker as the lead singles. Loved the album immediately (although not a fan of Bring It on Down), but when that first note to Slide Away kicked in, I was blown away. Still one of my favourite-ever tunes

I think I’m going to be very unpopular, this round.
I’m on first listen and I’m struggling.
I’ll try my best to get through this as objectively as possible and put some coherent thoughts together, but listening to Liam Gallagher is not my idea of fun.
At least there's 2 of us.

It will get 3 listens, as always. Open mind and all that.

I’m struggling through the first listen and I’m getting dirty looks from the missus, who’s not overjoyed by them either.

I was starting to think it might be fairer if I just bow out of this one.
Don't you dare leave me!

Try and give it a listen with headphones, without the ogre...erm...missus giving you evils!

Got to give it a proper go mate...

Don't you dare leave me!

Try and give it a listen with headphones, without the ogre...erm...missus giving you evils!

Got to give it a proper go mate...
Initial impressions?
Pretty much what I’ve always thought and why I’ve never bothered with any of their albums.
However, it is true that familiarity breeds contempt.
I’ve read BH’s personal comments on each song as I go and I will agree with him regarding the stuff he regards as underrated.
I think I prefer the unfamiliar.
The stuff I haven’t been saturated with and continually told is the most brilliant ever while I scratch my head saying, why? What am I missing?

Initial impressions?
Pretty much what I’ve always thought and why I’ve never bothered with any of their albums.
I’ve read BH’s personal comments on each song as I go and I will agree with him regarding the stuff he regards as underrated.
The stuff I haven’t been saturated with and continually told is the most brilliant ever while I scratch my head saying, why? What am I missing?
By contrast, as I was writing that above, the next song came on and I thought hold on, this sounds much more interesting.
Yeah. The album was over though and Spotify offered up The Arctic Monkeys instead. Much less bland.

Initial impressions?
It's the adulation for simple song writing, a splash of plagiarism and the musical skills of a pub band that I find weird. And I’ve not even mentioned the singing.

I was working abroad when all this hit, so didn't get the hoo har.

Will still give it a go though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.