The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

Rob this isn't my genre at all if i'm honest. I'm well out of my comfort zone with this one.
But it did get me thinking, if so many people like it, then I must be missing something.
Therefore I must spend a bit more time to find out.
Let's see.
I'm enjoying the journey.
When's the cut off for review mate?
I was going to round up and post the average on Monday, probably in the afternoon.

Based on what you said you must either be fed up of it by now or warming to it. If I'm being honest, I think some of the bigger scores you are seeing are Mellencamp fans from the 80s. Whilst the hip kids didn't go for this album when it was released, it was very well received by the press at the time and championed by DJs like Johnnie Walker and Roger Scott.

I love these music threads! Everyone posts interesting reviews and is very respectful of others opinions. Given how subjective music is, it's pretty amazing ha ha! I only wish the football threads were the same! :)

I'm really enjoying finding new music from these threads. There's so much great music to listen to and thanks to everyone for pulling out some great stuff, particularly artists I'd not heard before!

I'm a big Spotify fan as I've found some amazing new music, some became some of my favourite new music that I would never found without it. I prefer to listen to a full album, but playlists are great too. However you want to listen to music is totally up to you!

Thanks everyone, it's a fantastic read!

Loved Johnny Cougar. First album I bought was American Fool in 1982.
Him and Steve Forbert still spend a lot of time on my turntable.
Really like Steve Forbert too, seen him live a few times and chatted after a gig with him, really nice down to earth guy.One of the shows was in the states before he released Streets Of This Town during his wilderness years as he was going through a record company dispute,there was only about 20:in the audience.

Not my cup of tea at all, the whole genre that is, not just jcm.
Having said that, this record is book ended by 2 great tracks, 'paper in fire' in particular is a belter, and has gone onto my driving playlist. So if nothing else, thanks to Rob for that.

Musically it's pretty interesting too, I like how he's using instruments that aren't often heard, kudos for that.

His voice however, well for me it's a bit generic and dare I say it, a tad bland. He never tests himself to any degree. Swap his vocals out for adams or springsteen and it would still sound the same. I much prefer pettys voice for this type of thing, it's at least different enough to keep me interested. 'Check it out' for instance would sound much better with him at the helm.

It's not a bad album, far from it, it's probably top notch in this genre, but try as I might (and trust me, I did) I cant get along with it.
It's a 5 from me.

Not my cup of tea at all, the whole genre that is, not just jcm.
Having said that, this record is book ended by 2 great tracks, 'paper in fire' in particular is a belter, and has gone onto my driving playlist. So if nothing else, thanks to Rob for that.

Musically it's pretty interesting too, I like how he's using instruments that aren't often heard, kudos for that.

His voice however, well for me it's a bit generic and dare I say it, a tad bland. He never tests himself to any degree. Swap his vocals out for adams or springsteen and it would still sound the same. I much prefer pettys voice for this type of thing, it's at least different enough to keep me interested. 'Check it out' for instance would sound much better with him at the helm.

It's not a bad album, far from it, it's probably top notch in this genre, but try as I might (and trust me, I did) I cant get along with it.
It's a 5 from me.
Can't argue with your attempts to "get" this album if your previous posts are anything to go by, so thanks for sticking with it. Glad you eventually enjoyed "Paper In Fire", probably my favourite song of all time (if you asked me today, of course!)

OK, it's time to round up at the end of week #1.

19 votes were cast and The Lonesome Jubilee finishes with a very respectable average of 7.05.

Scoreboard is on page #1.

Thanks to everybody who took part. I'm humbled by the number of posts this week - not just those who, like me, obviously love the album but all those who gave it a try and were willing to get involved in the discussion. Like the Top 1100 albums thread, I think we've got a good group here and it was nice to see a few different names joining in as well, so let's keep it up.

It's now time to hand the floor over to our latest nominator @FogBlueInSanFran. He's given me a little clue as to what he's got up his sleeve but I'm still none the wiser so I'm sure he'll be along soon to set the ball rolling. Officially, new albums are presented on Tuesday, but I'm happy with any timeframe for clues and announcements from here on in, especially as he's on PST.

OK, it's time to round up at the end of week #1.

19 votes were cast and The Lonesome Jubilee finishes with a very respectable average of 7.05.

Scoreboard is on page #1.

Thanks to everybody who took part. I'm humbled by the number of posts this week - not just those who, like me, obviously love the album but all those who gave it a try and were willing to get involved in the discussion. Like the Top 1100 albums thread, I think we've got a good group here and it was nice to see a few different names joining in as well, so let's keep it up.

It's now time to hand the floor over to our latest nominator @FogBlueInSanFran. He's given me a little clue as to what he's got up his sleeve but I'm still none the wiser so I'm sure he'll be along soon to set the ball rolling. Officially, new albums are presented on Tuesday, but I'm happy with any timeframe for clues and announcements from here on in, especially as he's on PST.
Top man Rob............

Thanks @RobMCFC!

We'll be staying in the 1980s, staying in America's heartland, staying with a variety of instruments . . . but with a different genre and theme.

Indeed I am prepared to argue that my selection had an enormous influence on many bands and records that followed.

See you tomorrow.
Think I might have an idea now based on a band you mentioned in the other thread a while back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.