The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

I’ve played at home and I’ve played it in the car. Have the place to myself tomorrow so will give it another spin. I will say I can’t get the first track out of my head already and totally get the Strokes reference. It really sounds like something I’ve heard before although the band are totally new to me.

It still suffers from poor production for me although a lot of you seem to find this tinny garage sound part of the attraction, but I’m struggling with the all important lyrics it seems, that are totally indistinguishable from the rest of the noise at times.

Roll on tomorrow and a bit of volume added for the mood.
I know what you mean about the lyrics.
I googled them for each song in the end, kept all the tabs open for reference whilst listening.
Yep, I'm that sad.
Having said that, apart from a few gem like lines, the lyrics aren't a massive contribution to this album, although they do play a part.
There's no poetry or complicated wordsmithery here. Just a few smart and clever lines.
Which is exactly as it should be.

I’ve played at home and I’ve played it in the car. Have the place to myself tomorrow so will give it another spin. I will say I can’t get the first track out of my head already and totally get the Strokes reference. It really sounds like something I’ve heard before although the band are totally new to me.

It still suffers from poor production for me although a lot of you seem to find this tinny garage sound part of the attraction, but I’m struggling with the all important lyrics it seems, that are totally indistinguishable from the rest of the noise at times.

Roll on tomorrow and a bit of volume added for the mood.
Lyrics for the brilliant I Will Dare

As previously stated, never heard of them or heard them.
I read foggys intro and obviously it meant nothing to me, (despite his, as it turns out, accurate description) I pretty much half read it if I'm honest, but reading it back today, having spent a bit of time with the record, It's quite scary how my notes bear similarities to his thoughts.

Talk of drunken performances and references to certain important musical figures definitely got my interest though. I almost liked them before I'd even heard them, ridiculous I know, but there we are. When someone is enthusiastic about a subject, that can often rub off on a receptive audience, in this case me.

Anyway, kicking off with the bountiful energy of 'I will dare' with It's snakey bassline and clever lyrics, "how old am I? let's count the rings around my eyes" and "fingernails and cigarettes a lousy dinner" it's pretty good punk pop straight in.
I can't be the only one to notice 'favourite thing' is quite clash- esque in its delivery? His vocals now ringing some bells. I'm thinking strummer/ burns. No bad thing.

'We're coming out' is just a great track, the messy attempts at guitar solo adding to the chaos, it slows down then goes again with great vigour. Top notch.

It's not without humour though, 'Tommy gets his tonsils out' and 'androgynous' both had me smiling, I like the shoulder shrugging "so what" attitude. Nice piano melody on the latter too.

When I first heard 'black diamond' I didn't know it was a kiss song, I still haven't heard the original so I don't know if this is a good cover or not. I do know however, that this and the next track 'unsatisfied' show off his vocal ability well.

On to my favourite track, the quite brilliant 'seen your video' it has a wonderously long intro (2.25 on a 3.08 track) some guitar feedback, then some mad piano clearly lifted from a completely different song. Fantastic.

'Gary's got a boner' blimey we're getting some punk rock n roll, and even some punk balledering on the chaos calming 'sixteen blue' (ok it's not a ballad but you get the idea)
It's a shame that the last track is my least favourite, 'answering machine' I like the guitars but the song doesn't really go anywhere.
They could have ended on a high by swapping this with any number of tracks, but this is just a minor niggle in a big fuck off ocean of positives.

Like all good records this took a few plays for it to get under my skin. But once there it ain't going nowhere.
It's a great album, and offers such a lot. Sounding like a true garage band, it's raw, full of energy, and well delivered. Most importantly, it's imperfect, and that's why I like it so much.
I know it's a keeper, thank you foggy, hope I did it justice.
9/10
Top review that mate...........

John Cougar Mellencamp
Lonesome
4/10

New Score

The Replacements
Let it be
Does Gary still have a boner after all this time? ;-)

I really like the guys voice, fits some of the music perfectly (I'm thinking Unsatisfied here - which I enjoyed a lot and I caught myself singing to myself later in the day). I really appreciate 'effort' vocals (not to say I don't love artist's who don't break sweat hitting the high notes) and he does sound Cobainy in part.

There are elements of this album that don't appeal to me (bit too thrashy / punky for my ear) but it definitely fits the album as a whole (and wait for it @Bill Walker ), keeps within the overall 'feel' of the album). Some of it is on the face of it an erratic clash of styles, but it works for them.

Lovely change of pace during We're coming out. Not too enthralled with the first bit (although it could easily be repackaged as a 'We are the Mods' type thing), but in my head, would I have enjoyed the break in song without the first bit being so raw? Probably not, the sour and sweet.

Scoring is difficult on this one but after a few listens and consulting my previous efforts I have it in a similar place to Rush, pleasantly surprised of its likeability.

5/10 (probably more 5.5 but we aren't awarding half marks) may seem skinny for all of the above superlative however I've still only awarded one high mark of 7 to date (and that is for an album that I would have regularly chosen to listen to myself).

Two really good picks @RobMCFC and @FogBlueInSanFran as these are two acts I wouldn't have listened to. There is something about the way the music is presented in this and the Top 1000 @BlueHammer85 thread that gives me a different mindset to take in the music. It's not someone telling me that it's either the best thing since sliced bread (which I'm now realising must immediately get my back up) or that I will love it because of X, Y and Z. It's a different setting, this is the album pick go and have a go.

I think my picks will be a fair bit more mainstream for you guys and I await the accompanying fallout.

Selection-gate......... ;-)
Great review OH — and there’s nothing wrong with mainstream whatsoever. One person’s mainstream is another person’s “I’ve never heard that before” — music you love is always fun to listen to again and — at least for me —to write about. If we revisit a record I like already, then I get the treat of listening again. If I don’t know it, I learn. And if it’s something I’ve heard before that I don’t like, I get to come up with new ways to make fun of it. For example, I have a special keyboard for Radiohead records where the the letters “fs” auto-fill to “fucking shite” :). See? Like that.

Great review OH — and there’s nothing wrong with mainstream whatsoever. One person’s mainstream is another person’s “I’ve never heard that before” — music you love is always fun to listen to again and — at least for me —to write about. If we revisit a record I like already, then I get the treat of listening again. If I don’t know it, I learn. And if it’s something I’ve heard before that I don’t like, I get to come up with new ways to make fun of it. For example, I have a special keyboard for Radiohead records where the the letters “fs” auto-fill to “fucking shite” :). See? Like that.
You're wrong about radiohead, but I'm prepared to forgive you.
By way of apology

1981 great set

As previously stated, never heard of them or heard them.
I read foggys intro and obviously it meant nothing to me, (despite his, as it turns out, accurate description) I pretty much half read it if I'm honest, but reading it back today, having spent a bit of time with the record, It's quite scary how my notes bear similarities to his thoughts.

Talk of drunken performances and references to certain important musical figures definitely got my interest though. I almost liked them before I'd even heard them, ridiculous I know, but there we are. When someone is enthusiastic about a subject, that can often rub off on a receptive audience, in this case me.

Anyway, kicking off with the bountiful energy of 'I will dare' with It's snakey bassline and clever lyrics, "how old am I? let's count the rings around my eyes" and "fingernails and cigarettes a lousy dinner" it's pretty good punk pop straight in.
I can't be the only one to notice 'favourite thing' is quite clash- esque in its delivery? His vocals now ringing some bells. I'm thinking strummer/ burns. No bad thing.

'We're coming out' is just a great track, the messy attempts at guitar solo adding to the chaos, it slows down then goes again with great vigour. Top notch.

It's not without humour though, 'Tommy gets his tonsils out' and 'androgynous' both had me smiling, I like the shoulder shrugging "so what" attitude. Nice piano melody on the latter too.

When I first heard 'black diamond' I didn't know it was a kiss song, I still haven't heard the original so I don't know if this is a good cover or not. I do know however, that this and the next track 'unsatisfied' show off his vocal ability well.

On to my favourite track, the quite brilliant 'seen your video' it has a wonderously long intro (2.25 on a 3.08 track) some guitar feedback, then some mad piano clearly lifted from a completely different song. Fantastic.

'Gary's got a boner' blimey we're getting some punk rock n roll, and even some punk balledering on the chaos calming 'sixteen blue' (ok it's not a ballad but you get the idea)
It's a shame that the last track is my least favourite, 'answering machine' I like the guitars but the song doesn't really go anywhere.
They could have ended on a high by swapping this with any number of tracks, but this is just a minor niggle in a big fuck off ocean of positives.

Like all good records this took a few plays for it to get under my skin. But once there it ain't going nowhere.
It's a great album, and offers such a lot. Sounding like a true garage band, it's raw, full of energy, and well delivered. Most importantly, it's imperfect, and that's why I like it so much.
I know it's a keeper, thank you foggy, hope I did it justice.
9/10
Wow! Fantastic piece and not just because I agree with it :). I absolutely love the term “punk balladeering” — very apt, and for more than just this band. Gotta steal that one.

And I’m happy you appreciate the imperfections which I do believe are part of its charm and reflective of where the band was at the time and indeed where minor labels like TwinTone and SST and Slash were at the time — underground, underfunded and willing to take a chance on emerging bands because that’s who they could sign.

As I said before, I would have been pleased if just one person liked it — I’m glad you loved it and I’m looking forward to hearing albums other people love.

You're wrong about radiohead, but I'm prepared to forgive you.
By way of apology

1981 great set

Ha ha — they are no doubt my whipping boys more than any other band. It’s really that I think they’re incredibly overrated, not that they’re THAT bad. But I promise to potentially change my mind when they inevitably make one or more appearances and I really concentrate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.