The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Wow! Fantastic piece and not just because I agree with it :). I absolutely love the term “punk balladeering” — very apt, and for more than just this band. Gotta steal that one.

And I’m happy you appreciate the imperfections which I do believe are part of its charm and reflective of where the band was at the time and indeed where minor labels like TwinTone and SST and Slash were at the time — underground, underfunded and willing to take a chance on emerging bands because that’s who they could sign.

As I said before, I would have been pleased if just one person liked it — I’m glad you loved it and I’m looking forward to hearing albums other people love.
Thanks, I did spend some time with this, as I do respect anyone who has the balls to chuck one in the ring.
Like I said, I could of easily wrote an essay on this, I found it gave me a lot to think about musically.
In one record I hear clash, stiff little fingers, ramones, kurt etc.. interestingly all from different eras, and this was made in 84. I couldn't go into all of it or I'd still be typing now.
I can't remember the last time I heard a record that affected me in that way, past or present.
Fair play mate, a great choice.

Ha ha — they are no doubt my whipping boys more than any other band. It’s really that I think they’re incredibly overrated, not that they’re THAT bad. But I promise to potentially change my mind when they inevitably make one or more appearances and I really concentrate.
I am a radiohead fan, but I'm not a fanboy, if that makes sense. I don't worship every note but I see some genius in the song writing at times, whilst acknowledging there is some filler going on, and I will stand up and tell it how it is.

Anyway that's another discussion for another time.

Ive listened to the opening track a few times, its quite a simple song in what appears to be the Mixolydian mode, Id call College Rock kind of genre, I can hear a sort of Skiffle influence, but I also hear a lot of Beatles influence, in particular, Lennon vocals and I keep hearing "You Like Me Too Much"
Im not saying its a rip off, its not, the song has its own personality and feel.
Maybe its the Let It Be album title, and/or this; LOL

CF5zR8w.jpg

I do like it though, Bass and drums are interesting and very tight. Interestingly this song swings, like a Jazz standard can, in fact if you home in on the Bass after about 2 minutes he starts playing a kind of walking Bass line, as per typical Jazz bass but with a sort of Chris Squire tone, quite trebly.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Great review OH — and there’s nothing wrong with mainstream whatsoever. One person’s mainstream is another person’s “I’ve never heard that before” — music you love is always fun to listen to again and — at least for me —to write about. If we revisit a record I like already, then I get the treat of listening again. If I don’t know it, I learn. And if it’s something I’ve heard before that I don’t like, I get to come up with new ways to make fun of it. For example, I have a special keyboard for Radiohead records where the the letters “fs” auto-fill to “fucking shite” :). See? Like that.
Someone is definitely going to have to break rank on Radiohead at some point - we'd smash 40+ reviews in the first 24 hours as everyone will have an opinion on them (for or against).............

Ive listened to the opening track a few times, its quite a simple song in what appears to be the Mixolydian mode, Id call College Rock kind of genre, I can hear a sort of Skiffle influence, but I also hear a lot of Beatles influence, in particular, Lennon vocals and I keep hearing "You Like Me Too Much"
Im not saying its a rip off, its not, the song has its own personality and feel.
Maybe its the Let It Be album title, and/or this; LOL

View attachment 27707

I do like it though, Bass and drums are interesting and very tight. Interestingly this song swings, like a Jazz standard can, in fact if you home in on the Bass after about 2 minutes he starts playing a kind of walking Bass line, as per typical Jazz bass but with a sort of Chris Squire tone, quite trebly.

To be continued...
Fucking knew Lennon & McCartney would be taking the credit for this one ;-)

Look forward to the rest of you review mate...........

Wow! Fantastic piece and not just because I agree with it :). I absolutely love the term “punk balladeering” — very apt, and for more than just this band. Gotta steal that one.

And I’m happy you appreciate the imperfections which I do believe are part of its charm and reflective of where the band was at the time and indeed where minor labels like TwinTone and SST and Slash were at the time — underground, underfunded and willing to take a chance on emerging bands because that’s who they could sign.

As I said before, I would have been pleased if just one person liked it — I’m glad you loved it and I’m looking forward to hearing albums other people love.
It definitely works for them on this, harnessing that 'what do you sound like live when you are not too pissed' instead of producing the arse out of it...........

I am a radiohead fan, but I'm not a fanboy, if that makes sense. I don't worship every note but I see some genius in the song writing at times, whilst acknowledging there is some filler going on, and I will stand up and tell it how it is.

Anyway that's another discussion for another time.
I'll admit I heard "Karma Police" at the end of the latest Ted Lasso tonight and, having heard it many times before, I find a small portion of my resistance breaking. It's only like a chip, or a hairline crack. But it's something.

Last edited:
I can't remember the last time I heard a record that affected me in that way, past or present.
Even though I didn't like the album as much as you, it's this kind of reaction that we are looking for here (amongst other things). I think for a lot of the albums selected, we are going to get people coming in with their memories because they know the songs inside out, but it will be great if people hear something for first time and are knocked sideways by it.

Fucking knew Lennon & McCartney would be taking the credit for this one ;-)

Look forward to the rest of you review mate...........
Hahaha ...Well not so much credit more influence, I think they were influenced by The Beatles as were many bands.
I think them walking over the street like Abbey Road is a massive clue.
The song has its own Melody and isn't a rip off of anything I've heard.

I actually really like it and I've never heard this band before.

I will probably continue to play it now and then, thats a huge compliment from a grumpy turgid snob like me ;)

Hahaha ...Well not so much credit more influence, I think they were influenced by The Beatles as were many bands.
I think them walking over the street like Abbey Road is a massive clue.
The song has its own Melody and isn't a rip off of anything I've heard.

I actually really like it and I've never heard this band before.

I will probably continue to play it now and then, thats a huge compliment from a grumpy turgid snob like me ;)
Don't forget to vote for it, Bill.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.