The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Initial thoughts:
  • I have listened to this album before but probably not since the late 70’s.
  • The Band is really very good. Musicianship top notch
  • Both ends burning us a top top rock single. Love is the drug more an ear worm albeit a well played/produced one
  • Ferry’s vocals suite the band. There couldn’t be a Roxy Music without him. His phrasing is so interesting. Try singing along and see what I mean.
  • The album lacks a ‘In every dream home’ ‘Bogus man’ ‘Mother of Pearl’ or ‘Song for Europe’ albeit a couple of tracks try hard but fall short.
  • It’s a good album but overall the songwriting is a notch under their best.
Few more listens before I’m ready to score.

The album lacks a ‘In every dream home’ ‘Bogus man’ ‘Mother of Pearl’ or ‘Song for Europe’ albeit a couple of tracks try hard but fall short.
It’s a good album but overall the songwriting is a notch under their best.

Even if the rest of Stranded was bobbins, which it's not, Stranded would be worth buying for those two songs alone.

In a 4 way photo finish I reckon FYP and Stranded are inseparable with Siren about a thousandths of a second behind with Country Life the unlucky fourth placer by two hundredths.

I might give the gold to FYP simply for the iconic cover (albeit as a young lad borrowing his sister's records I was quite taken by Country Life!)

I like Avalon.
I was knocked out the first time I heard Virginia Plain.
But everything else is, sadly for me, ruined by Ferry’s voice and ingenue posturing.
listening to Ferry is like listening to Bjork. Whatever the musical merits of the song the voice is unbearable.
Sorry, it’s a 4/10 for me.
Ouch.

It's strange that I have never once rejected the overall merits of any band because I couldn't handle the voice of the lead. I've never been that much of a fan of Dylan, but it's never been his voice that's the problem. Likewise I like Sleater-Kinney and Rush but both have singers who grate on a wide variety of listeners. I'm not a Bjork fan either but it's not her oddities as a vocalist that are the issue.

Now Ferry's posturing I could understand being annoying to some but I ascribe to the @threespires view that he's keenly self-aware of his own patheticness as a male bimbo. Doesn't change the fact that he gets lots of, errrr, female attention.

Even if the rest of Stranded was bobbins, which it's not, Stranded would be worth buying for those two songs alone.

In a 4 way photo finish I reckon FYP and Stranded are inseparable with Siren about a thousandths of a second behind with Country Life the unlucky fourth placer by two hundredths.

I might give the gold to FYP simply for the iconic cover (albeit as a young lad borrowing his sister's records I was quite taken by Country Life!)
My favourite of the four is FYP. Then Stranded. I need to listen more to Siren to see how it holds up.

Ouch.

It's strange that I have never once rejected the overall merits of any band because I couldn't handle the voice of the lead. I've never been that much of a fan of Dylan, but it's never been his voice that's the problem. Likewise I like Sleater-Kinney and Rush but both have singers who grate on a wide variety of listeners. I'm not a Bjork fan either but it's not her oddities as a vocalist that are the issue.

Now Ferry's posturing I could understand being annoying to some but I ascribe to the @threespires view that he's keenly self-aware of his own patheticness as a male bimbo. Doesn't change the fact that he gets lots of, errrr, female attention.
Although you did refer to Stuart Staples of Tindersticks as a “Bizarro Bryan Ferry” as part of your overall slating of the album.

I won’t let that influence me when I draw my conclusions about this though. :-)

Ouch.

It's the overall package and the gel with instrumentation that carries the day although I don't mind BF's voice at all in fact I think for the songs made his style , inflections and modulation are first rate and clearly value add tot eh listening experience. He does the best with what he was given and that is all you can ask of a performer and his posturing adds to the humour of live performances and in any case you are not privy to his physical response on record and tape etc.

There are not many flaws to any of the songs on this album IMO and its a good album to listen to in the background and without distraction , the songs are well constructed and melodic which is why I gave it an 8.

They are not everyone's cup of tea but for the genre(s) and audience they cater for they are top notch and have a catalogue of longstanding outstanding material. Each of their records make their own mark.

So after a few more listens, I have not really moved on from my first impressions. Its a good album but a notch below their best and in my eyes certainly nowhere near the interest, song writing and flair of For Your Pleasure. Given I would give that album a 9, this is a 7. Good choice though.

Ps. I shall pass my best from you all to Bruce tonight. He has kindly travelled to Edinburgh to entertain Mrs S and I for the evening. :-)

So after a few more listens, I have not really moved on from my first impressions. Its a good album but a notch below their best and in my eyes certainly nowhere near the interest, song writing and flair of For Your Pleasure. Given I would give that album a 9, this is a 7. Good choice though.

Ps. I shall pass my best from you all to Bruce tonight. He has kindly travelled to Edinburgh to entertain Mrs S and I for the evening. :-)
Have fun. Should be a good show.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.