The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

I don't consider myself a prude - I swear all the time - shamefully in front of my family a lot - but I don't understand why anybody would want their work of art laden with expletives. This is what you are putting down on record/paper for 10,100, or 1000 years. This is your legacy.

The odd expletive here and there, fair enough, but am I the only one put off by the language used in these songs?

I don't consider myself a prude - I swear all the time - shamefully in front of my family a lot - but I don't understand why anybody would want their work of art laden with expletives. This is what you are putting down on record/paper for 10,100, or 1000 years. This is your legacy.

The odd expletive here and there, fair enough, but am I the only one put off by the language used in these songs?

It's an interesting question but one I'll hold fire on my main response to it, because it's tied into another point that I will offer up for consideration around one of the other entirely reasonable objections I think people could have to this album.

Myself I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I swear a fair bit but very rarely at home; I have to say the level of swearing in this doesn't really bother me especially because of it's context. I do however have a threshold of stuff I will not listen to because of the amount and perhaps more importantly the type and context of the expletives used; but that threshold is somewhat higher than this.

Thank god you didnt otherwise I would probably have gone lower than my 4 for PJ. I collected my son from work this evening and mentioned that someone had suggested listening and reviewing "Psychodrama"...so of course he insisted on putting it on in the car....fucking hated it...every track has that "super annoying" snare, tska, tska, tska, tska through it and any track where they say "yute" all the time....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I get that. Don't know how long your car journey was but did you get as far as the long track Lesley?

I don’t think it’s the expletives that are making me dislike this intensely, but I will add that to the list!!

Oh thanks, yea that makes me feel better!

So what was the victoria reference I was missing then?

Had it been David rather than her, he does indeed day Free instead of Three.

In Wannabe when the various members are introduced, the lyric about her contains the line "easy V doesn't come for free she's a lady". I have no idea what that faintly imbecilic word soup means, it was basically just a fit for the album title.

Looking forward to discussing the list, this is a hill I'm prepared to die on!
I hate his voice for starters. Unfortunately I can’t blame his place of birth as he was born in the same place as Mrs Daze… I think he may have developed his accent for extra artistic effect :)

I’m not particularly put off by the swearing given the concept. I probably swear too much, to my wife’s dismay. You have given me a fucking great idea for a playlist though

I’m not particularly put off by the swearing given the concept. I probably swear too much, to my wife’s dismay. You have given me a fucking great idea for a playlist though
See, that's an example of good use of swearing. Same as if I said that I don't this album because it's go too much fucking swearing. But it all seems so pointless in the context of this album

A Grand Don’t Come for Free – The Streets

A quick judgement (and execution) from me because (a) I’m busy this weekend and (b) it was easy to judge.

This album represents most of my worst musical nightmares come true:-
  • Streetwise phrasing of the “lyrics”
  • Lack of proper instruments
  • Profanity
The profanity absolutely destroys any chance I’d have of listening to this objectively. It’s over-the-top, every other line and it’s not great to listen to. Maybe a street yoof would laugh at it, but it’s not even funny profanity. Here’s an example:-

Where's my phone, have I got it?
Oh, this is a crock of shit!
I lost the fucking thing!

Is this clever use of swearing? Is it funny? Does it advance the narrative? Is it necessary to the narrative? The answer to all of those questions is “no”.

The music that is unfolding – very much in the background – seems pleasant enough. Nothing ground-breaking or stuff I’d pay money to listen to, but otherwise I’m struggling to say anything positive about this album. There was an outbreak of proper music in “Dry Your Eyes” but it’s a pity that any musicality is hidden beneath that awful voice and “lyrics”.

The lyrics are uniformly terrible – just banal stuff, talking about taking a DVD back, his broken TV or stopping to get chips. It’s not the subject matter I’m looking for in my lyrics, maybe a street yoof would appreciate it.

It’s not just the profanity and banal lyrics – it’s the awful delivery. I don’t mind gruff voices, high-pitched voices, voices with accents, as long as they are making an attempt to sing (although not the British indie mumblers, obviously). But here, there is no attempt at musicality, it’s like listening to some yoof you pass on the street. I get that that’s the point, but it just sounds awful in music. The ”singing” that starts “Get Out of My House” sounds childish, maybe a street yoof would appreciate it.

I realise that these words are delivered in the style of “the street”, and hence the band name, but why even bother creating music in this style? I just don’t get it, but maybe a street yoof would. It might serve its purpose for future generations as a historical document of how people spoke to each other on the street in the 21st century, and I’d hope that these people might be appalled.

You see the point here? I’m not the target audience so it’s not surprising that I don’t like it, especially when I’m such a harsh musical critic. I have no desire to attempt to understand why people talk this way (not proper, like wot I do).

Whatever story is wrapped up in this album seems like a story not worth telling, and even if it was, it’s purposefully buried by an awful voice and lyrics. Reading the plot summary on Wikipedia, it’s hardly Lord of the Rings or A Tale of Two Cities. If you have a story to tell, why present it in a way that could alienate most of your potential audience? Or is swearing and banality a pre-requisite to hook today’s audience?

Scoring: I gave The Chemical Brothers 3/10 – I enjoyed “Let Forever Be” and said that there were “other songs where I found myself thinking that was a clever change of pace”. None of this applies here and so I’m afraid that I’ve no option but to go with 1/10.

Apologies to @threespires, who I respect for his thoughtful reviews as a poster on this and other threads. I will be genuinely interested to read your reasons for liking this album, as I will other posters views. We should get some fantastic debate this week, which if nothing else, will have been worth the nomination.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.