The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

This week has made blindingly obvious how we appreciate music is completely different, from those that simply want to listen and enjoy, to those at the other end of the scale. Isnt it great that we are all so unique.

Amen to that. It's way too easy to take your own way of being as being normative. It was only through a discussion about music I discovered that quite a few people are wired such that they don't have any interior monologue/dialogue. I was absolutely flabagasted and felt not a little foolish that I'd managed to get through such a big chunk of life failing to appreciate that what was going on in some people's heads was so different from me.

One of my eldest sons best mates has a neuro diversity and the way he goes about composition is completey different from my son's approach but the great thing is that whilst there's a gentle mockery between them about how they each go about things, they have grown up enough to really appreciate that which the other cannot do.

Amen to that. It's way too easy to take your own way of being as being normative. It was only through a discussion about music I discovered that quite a few people are wired such that they don't have any interior monologue/dialogue. I was absolutely flabagasted and felt not a little foolish that I'd managed to get through such a big chunk of life failing to appreciate that what was going on in some people's heads was so different from me.

One of my eldest sons best mates has a neuro diversity and the way he goes about composition is completey different from my son's approach but the great thing is that whilst there's a gentle mockery between them about how they each go about things, they have grown up enough to really appreciate that which the other cannot do.
Some envy is always welcome as can lead to inspiration TS but there is a line that you can cross that can and if not checked will elicit demonic energy.

I took a while to realise that problem solving including delving into why a song , album , musician resonates with you or not is a good thing and gives you purpose and from purpose bines happiness and why what was happening to same to someone else is necessarily different.

This isn't to say that I just like this song because I just like it is in itself something that should be frowned upon by those who like to explore more which it is clear you do as you have a deeper understanding of music and how it is made than most.

It is both emotional and cognitive as you have alluded to but the trick is that they are not necessarily mutually exclusive which in part explains why mood is so fluid.

You shouldn't rest and think you have all the sounds and music that take care of your needs and how to approach it with both instrument and voice no matter your age.

I think the art and the science of good music is that it taps into psyche of the masses of what is common and what is intrinsically good and makes friends of humans and creates harmony that on other levels of interest are poles apart.

I think the art and the science of good music is that it taps into psyche of the masses of what is common and what is intrinsically good and makes friends of humans and creates harmony that on other levels of interest are poles apart.
Very astute observation.

I like to think that I listen to music that doesn't always appeal to the masses - i.e. I like to seek out something that others might not know. But given that my favourite artist is one of he biggest names of the last 50 years, that's clearly not always the case!

The other thing that we must realise (me included) is that whilst we may think that a certain artist has more integrity than a bunch of others, they are all making music to make money. That's where the science part comes into play. Every artist, even if its at a subconscious level, must be calculating what would resonate most with large groups of people.

Some envy is always welcome as can lead to inspiration TS but there is a line that you can cross that can and if not checked will elicit demonic energy.

I took a while to realise that problem solving including delving into why a song , album , musician resonates with you or not is a good thing and gives you purpose and from purpose bines happiness and why what was happening to same to someone else is necessarily different.

This isn't to say that I just like this song because I just like it is in itself something that should be frowned upon by those who like to explore more which it is clear you do as you have a deeper understanding of music and how it is made than most.

It is both emotional and cognitive as you have alluded to but the trick is that they are not necessarily mutually exclusive which in part explains why mood is so fluid.

You shouldn't rest and think you have all the sounds and music that take care of your needs and how to approach it with both instrument and voice no matter your age.

Just for the avoidance of doubt I would never (other than in jest and even then I would be circumspect) dare to really frown upon someone else's music tastes, I might offer an opinion on an artist from my viewpoint but if music brings joy into someone's life then what I think of it matters not one jot. Without going into detail, let's just say I've got first hand experience of how the very simplest of music can bring great joy into people's lives.

People's taste in football teams, now that's another matter entirely :-)

Oh I don't think they are mutually exclusive for a minute though perhaps my posts suggest I do. Like most people I imagine, my response to music is quite context sensitive. A couple of days after the arena bombing when the victims had become very real people to us through their names, pictures and stories on the news, I was in the car when whatever radio station was on played the piano version of Ariane Grande's One Last Time. I had to pull the car over as it had left me utterly incapable of driving safely.

Last edited:
I can appreciate a great film without knowing diddly squat about the director.
I can appreciate a great meal at a restaurant without knowing the chefs background.
I believe Mozart was a childish **** but I still think some of his stuff is ok.
I can like the themes of a record without any real life empathy for them. In fact i would say it’s impossible to like a wide range of music if that was a criteria for enjoying it. One of my favourite Albums is Pet Sounds. I like it for the songwriting and harmonies that sound like they were made in heaven. I have zero connection with what the songs are about. I am as far from a love sick Californian wannabe surfer dude dominated by his dad as it’s possible to get but god I love Brian Wilson.
I don’t need to understand the note sequence on Airbag to think it’s a good opening track. My ears (or nowadays my left ear) tells me that.

This week has made blindingly obvious how we appreciate music is completely different, from those that simply want to listen and enjoy, to those at the other end of the scale. Isnt it great that we are all so unique.
What a fine album Pet Sounds is.

What a fine album Pet Sounds is.
I’m sure you could describe why some of his songs raise the hairs on the back of your neck they are so beautiful. There is a little bit of the track surfs up on his Smile album that has such a beautiful melody and harmonies that the first time I heard it it made me want to cry (soft arse). I’m sure there is an explanation as to why such a sequence of notes can trigger a physical reaction. Anyway to me the man is a genius. I was lucky enough to see his live version of Pet Sounds, surrounded by brilliant young musicians and singers. What a memory.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.