The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

Ok, this'll be interesting. I don't really 'get' Oasis and by that I don't mean I dislike them which I don't at all; I just don't understand why they are quite as huge as they are.

Mrs Spires is much more on board with them despite only being one step removed from being a yam yam herself. She claims whenever we're in the car on Kingsway I will at some point have a random rant about Burnage and Parrs Wood, I think this is bollocks but she believes it's a form of self loathing because I don't sound manc any more. Tbh not sure I ever did coming from the sophisticated leafy suburbs of Wythenshawe an all.

Anyway I know this album fairly well but I will listen attentively rather than lazily and look forward to the discussion.

OT (sorry I know there was a thread about this, but so what), I saw this today:

Personally I would say Eddie VH is the greatest ever, and it's nice to see some love for Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and this list is missing Bob Mould, and Pete Townshend should be higher up . . . but my most visceral reaction was HOW THE FUCKING FUCK DOES THE EDGE MAKE THIS LIST????

Any guitar list I look to see if they've got at least one of either Joe Pass or Wes Montgomery in there somewhere and if not I sack it off.

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

One of Oasis albums that just hasn’t dated in my opinion, whereas Morning Glory, Be Here Now and all the rest have date pretty badly (Masterplan aside) – Definitely Maybe still sounds fresh today and still rocks, Liams recent tour has celebrated this Album on its 30th anniversary and it went down pretty well.

I remember hearing this as a young teen and it completely blew me away - a Southern fairy with no connection to Manchester made me all of a sudden want to wear a parka, swagger and wear shades. It led me into other Manc bands like the Roses, The Smiths, New Order etc
I recall fondly how the missus told me in the 90's that the British invasion was back on when this came out. Words and a moment I still remember that has stuck with me since. I wasn't initially a big fan, but more so was after What's the Story? (Morning Glory), and came back to this for a second chance.

There probably would have been no finding Doves for me without Oasis first, so in that regard, I at least owe them that.

Good to have a well-known album to listen to as family and the adult kids get together this next week for holiday. My oldest son and I both saw Noel Gallagher in concert together, so one of the few musical overlaps with your kids you can have I have learned over the years is priceless.

Last edited:
Great nomination. If it's your favourite album of all time, then you absolutely should nominate it, regardless of whether it's well known or an unsung gem.

I am minded to sit this one out, but that in itself out of respect for BH is reason enough to give it at least one go before deciding further.

And it should be noted, it is the 30th anniversary of this album so there is apt timing in the nomination. Which I am guessing is in the write-up which for a while now I have been leaving till the end to read, after listening to an album.

The only other album I have previously sat out was Revolver, widely considered one of the best of all time. So if it foes come to that, it will be in good company at least.

Last edited:
I was 20 when this came out and if I'm honest I felt a little bit of resentment for Oasis as I was and still am a huge Roses fan who thought Liam and Co was pinching Squire and Brown's limelight as the new kids on the block, Liam used to get on my tits acting the towny all the time and generally being a lad whereas all I remember about Noel was that he was forever sticking his tongue out on photos and what not.

But can't believe that Oasis produced this masterpiece, was big City fans and Manchester was cool again so I eventually got over myself and embraced their music.

Just as a side note, I thought What's The Story was a belter too.

Just realised that if I review this in relation to how I thought about it on release I will almost certainly end up revealing my next pick which is from the same year. BH has said it has stood the test of time so rather than contextualise it, I'm going to try and pretend I've never heard it before and just comment on the music as I find it today.

Ok, this'll be interesting. I don't really 'get' Oasis and by that I don't mean I dislike them which I don't at all; I just don't understand why they are quite as huge as they are.

Mrs Spires is much more on board with them despite only being one step removed from being a yam yam herself. She claims whenever we're in the car on Kingsway I will at some point have a random rant about Burnage and Parrs Wood, I think this is bollocks but she believes it's a form of self loathing because I don't sound manc any more. Tbh not sure I ever did coming from the sophisticated leafy suburbs of Wythenshawe an all.

Anyway I know this album fairly well but I will listen attentively rather than lazily and look forward to the discussion.
That’s where I’m at. I never understood how good they themselves thought they were.

Not heard this album for sooo long so will be interesting to go back and listen. I have a weird relationship with Oasis - dislike the band but like the songs. Remember trying to learn many of these songs on a junk electric (thankfully i'd given up on the guitar by time wonderwall came out). I'll always seemed to prefer the B-sides to the singles but I know there will be much on this album I enjoy if I can turn off the part of my brain that reminds me I'm listening to oasis

My son and daughter raved about this album. I did the usual dad thing. What’s thus new drivel? I did promise to sit down and listen to it properly ‘on the good stereo’.
It blew me away so much I stopped giving it large about the 6os and 70s ‘just for one day’.

Great album. Don’t know how it will be possible to listen to it fresh though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.