The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Happy birthday Bill and Saddleworth2.

Just an admin note to say that we're jetting off again this weekend so the score roundup for RATM will be sometime Tuesday morning.

Also checking with @Marklr that you are ready to roll with your nomination on Tuesday?
Tuesday? No problem. Which Tuesday, though? ;)
Yeah...I've half done it all...just need to make some sense of the shite I've written!! haha.

Happy Birthday Bill and Saddleworth2. I wonder what happened to Saddleworth 1?

Tuesday? No problem. Which Tuesday, though? ;)
Yeah...I've half done it all...just need to make some sense of the shite I've written!! haha.

Happy Birthday Bill and Saddleworth2. I wonder what happened to Saddleworth 1?
I'm sure you're joking, but for the avoidance of doubt, Stardate: 16th November, 2021.

Just put it all on unedited - it might give us a laugh.

I'm sure you're joking, but for the avoidance of doubt, Stardate: 16th November, 2021.

Just put it all on unedited - it might give us a laugh.
I might give you both the edited and unedited versions..haha. I was probably stoned when i wrote it all...i just go off on subjects totally unrelated. I asked my daughter (she got a 1st in English at Uni) to go over some of it and she told me to leave out all the ellipsis! "What the fcuk is a lispis?" i asked her.... these: "....." Too many dotted lines when all i need are commas. .....I like the dotted lines, though.

I’ve not reviewed any albums so far but I’ll do this seeing as it’s an old fave. As some may have noticed I’m partial to a bit of rap/metal and crossover music in general. Most attempts at mixing the two genres that I’ve heard sound shite but RATM got the balance right for me. I reckon this album was a huge influence for a lot of bands back in the 90s. As has been said the rhythm section is tight, very funky bass lines. The riffs are crunchy, heavy but also catchy as well. And this is nothing like Pantera btw. Zack’s rapping is great and his anger is authentic, matching the lyrical content. Sure there’s a lot of swearing and there’s definitely a time and place for listening to this album. I get why a lot won’t like this but as a late teen I fucking loved belting this out but my parents didn’t. I can still listen to this from time to time quite happily.

8/10 for me

I asked my daughter (she got a 1st in English at Uni) to go over some of it and she told me to leave out all the ellipsis!
A simple "like "is not enough for this.

I love this. This is what I''m talking about. I'm quite happy for people to simply throw a couple of lines on and tell us why it's their favourite, but when people go to the effort of getting it checked by their University-qualified children, you are setting a new standard here, Mark!

It's like the four Yorkshiremen sketch. Who can up the ante and tell us that before submitting, they called a meeting at work and got everybody in their team to critique their nomination before submitting?

A simple "like "is not enough for this.

I love this. This is what I''m talking about. I'm quite happy for people to simply throw a couple of lines on and tell us why it's their favourite, but when people go to the effort of getting it checked by their University-qualified children, you are setting a new standard here, Mark!

It's like the four Yorkshiremen sketch. Who can up the ante and tell us that before submitting, they called a meeting at work and got everybody in their team to critique their nomination before submitting?
When it comes to mine I’ll just be hoping no one is checking for plagiarism

OK I’ve heard enough, it’s played a couple of times through in the car in manageable portions. I can get the passion and appreciate some of the musicianship but it’s not for me. Not going to mark it too far down just because I don’t like it though, lower scores would be reserved for lazy, derivative, cynical records. This is anything but that so I’ll give it a 6 out of 10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.