The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Number 2 - Pop Will Eat Itself , English rock band 80/90's
Yes, thanks. Thought I'd recognise it when somebody said it. Just couldn't work out the acronymn.

From Wikipedia:

"Grebo artists and fans sported long hair, dreadlocks and baggy shorts"

It makes it easier to picture Foggy now.

I enjoyed reading your review as usual, even if I didn't agree with all of it.

In order to further broaden my musical knowledge:-
1. What's a grebo band?
2. What's PWEI?
As @BlueHammer85 wrote above, and grebo was the style PWEI semi-invented in the late 1980s -- quasi-hip-hop over metal guitar, but mixed with a lot of electronica, found sounds, etc. Not especially socially forward-thinking; almost science-fiction like in some ways lyrically.

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy everyone's reviews too, regardless of whether I agree. That's what's great about this thread. We can offer different opinions but the love of music is binding and universal. Plus it's so fun to listen to classics you've missed, or old favo(u)rites, or new music you don't know. Still jacked about that Dylan zydeco record on the other thread which I really enjoyed and on its face I would NEVER have listened to otherwise.

I can't approach 1/100th of Fog's writing ability so breaking off a review in that mode doesn't make sense for me.

I will say that I have several thousand tracks from my lifetime of music fandom playing on random shuffle often.

Sometimes something from the 90s comes on and I'm like 'cool, good memories associated, etc.'

But when "People of the Sun" or "Down Rodeo" or "Bulls on Parade" come on that shit gets turned up to volume 30. Today. I can't think of much else from the sounds of my misspent twenties that engenders such a reaction.

Great band - I connected with them as a punk/metal/hip-hop fan. Like Zack I'm part Mexican. Went big for the political side as well. "Bullet in the Head" still nicely describes my attitude toward corporate America and the establishment in general.

So a 10/10 for me

I mentioned I used to hear this coming out of my lads bedroom very loud. I didn’t like it then at all. I have listened to it through a couple of times which for me was above and beyond because I have to say I don’t just dislike it, I absolutely hate it. I’m not a great fan of heavy metal and I really don’t like rap so that not a good place to start from.
I tried guys, honestly I tried. I can see they have a pretty tight rhythm section and you tell me that the lyrics are worthy and meaningful but I just hear the vocalist shouting and swearing accompanying sabbath type riffs. I won’t say any more as I really don’t want to upset those that value it.
1 out of 10 Just because I didn’t want to give anything zero.

Yes, thanks. Thought I'd recognise it when somebody said it. Just couldn't work out the acronymn.

From Wikipedia:

"Grebo artists and fans sported long hair, dreadlocks and baggy shorts"

It makes it easier to picture Foggy now.
Ha ha. You'd just as soon see me with a green and yellow scarf and zebra pants!

I mentioned I used to hear this coming out of my lads bedroom very loud. I didn’t like it then at all. I have listened to it through a couple of times which for me was above and beyond because I have to say I don’t just dislike it, I absolutely hate it. I’m not a great fan of heavy metal and I really don’t like rap so that not a good place to start from.
I tried guys, honestly I tried. I can see they have a pretty tight rhythm section and you tell me that the lyrics are worthy and meaningful but I just hear the vocalist shouting and swearing accompanying sabbath type riffs. I won’t say any more as I really don’t want to upset those that value it.
I don't think you'd upset anyone. If metal and hip-hop are both non-starters there's no way this can appeal.

It's a fair review mate - this was never going to sing to everyone.

Fair fucks for giving it a good go........

I can't approach 1/100th of Fog's writing ability so breaking off a review in that mode doesn't make sense for me.

I will say that I have several thousand tracks from my lifetime of music fandom playing on random shuffle often.

Sometimes something from the 90s comes on and I'm like 'cool, good memories associated, etc.'

But when "People of the Sun" or "Down Rodeo" or "Bulls on Parade" come on that shit gets turned up to volume 30. Today. I can't think of much else from the sounds of my misspent twenties that engenders such a reaction.

Great band - I connected with them as a punk/metal/hip-hop fan. Like Zack I'm part Mexican. Went big for the political side as well. "Bullet in the Head" still nicely describes my attitude toward corporate America and the establishment in general.

So a 10/10 for me
Great insight mate...........

I don't mind the sweary stuff on this at all. In fact I think it enhances if anything.
This was made just 4 short years after Jools Holland's "groovy fuckers" legendary live gaffe on channel four, which I remember causing quite a stir at the time. Swearing wasn't as popular back then as it is today, so when this came out it was pretty controversial, plus it's very much in context given it's a protest record.

The sound they create makes me think they believe what they're trying to say, not just going through the motions, committed, if you will, can't ask for much more really.

I like this record, very much, but it's a hard one to score because for me it's a "small doses" kind of sound. When I revisit this album as I do from time to time, it always sounds brilliant cranked up in the car or with cans on, but I quickly get my fix and move on, filed away for the next time I need some high octane aural stimulation. It's not a sound I need to hear that often to enjoy it.

I'd compare it to a vindaloo, you wouldn't want one every night, but having one every now and again just re-reminds you of how great they are, and you'd miss it like fuck if you could never have another.

Just something I've noticed whilst discussing this pick at work, this record seems to appeal to a really wide age group. I've had people from their mid-twenties up to 60ish saying how much they love it, which I thought was interesting.

Nevertheless it's a great pick and a bloody good record, some will absolutely hate it, and I get that, but for me it's gotta be a 7 at least.
Fuck it, 8/10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.