The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

The Warerboys are definitely Scottish. Some Irish folk once tried to claim them cause they did a thing in Dublin once. But that wasn't happening.
Waterboys spent a lot of time in Ireland and are loved here, but they are more Celtic folk/rock and apart from Scott, the members pover the years have been Irish, Scottish,Welsh and English.

Waterboys spent a lot of time in Ireland and are loved here, but they are more Celtic folk/rock and apart from Scott, the members pover the years have been Irish, Scottish,Welsh and English.

Hah, thought you'd take the bait. ;)

One of my favourite of their works was indeed recorded in Ireland.

You are right, there isn't one. But there is definitely musical substance there, as opposed to just a style/marketing lable.

Which then leads to my bigtime pet hate. The fucking purism of forever locking Grunge as a term only describing one defined set of bands, from one specific area, from one determined time period. And that nothing else may be called gurnge, despite actually sounding it and having the qualities of grunge. I honestly don't think any other genre has that rigourous elitism. And that's where part of your point is actually quite valid.
Neil Young made the best grunge albums.

I have no idea whether this is going to be relevant to the conversation on what grunge is or isn't (and as a clueless I await with interest) but a couple of nights ago I had a 'healthy discussion' with elder son about cadging money for pedals and our differing views on the necessity of certain bits of kit for specific 'genres' he wants to dabble with. I expressed the opinion that at the point where you supposedly need a specific big muff variant or an md-500 or [insert one of a thousand other bits of kit on the wishlist] to play a genre then it's not a genre it's just a marketing ploy.

This is a round about way of saying that if it turns out that grunge is basically a combination of angsty lyrics playing softly for a bit and then wazzing a shit load of distortion onto the chorus then I'm going to be very disappointed and I won't be buying that it constitutes a genre :-)

I have no idea whether this is going to be relevant to the conversation on what grunge is or isn't (and as a clueless I await with interest) but a couple of nights ago I had a 'healthy discussion' with elder son about cadging money for pedals and our differing views on the necessity of certain bits of kit for specific 'genres' he wants to dabble with. I expressed the opinion that at the point where you supposedly need a specific big muff variant or an md-500 or [insert one of a thousand other bits of kit on the wishlist] to play a genre then it's not a genre it's just a marketing ploy.

This is a round about way of saying that if it turns out that grunge is basically a combination of angsty lyrics playing softly for a bit and then wazzing a shit load of distortion onto the chorus then I'm going to be very disappointed and I won't be buying that it constitutes a genre :-)
Don't forget the lumberjack shirts (or "flannel" shirts as some call them).

Good shout maybe.

I have two themes I'd like to explore with the team first though, so it might be a while.

I noticed you stopped at one contribution. I know you have more in your locker, and we have an extra week to listen now!
He has to get in by this weekend though.
He has a very strong contender though, with Energy Orchard.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.