The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

He would be an expert on fillers right enough.
Hhmmmmmmmmm. Saving this for future reference. Since Nevermind is one of my favo(u)rite records of all time, and I also love their covers on MTV Unplugged, this will need to be revisited. But In Utero — ok, might not argue that. Won’t argue it at all with Bleach.

I’ve always really loved the Foos (I do think Dave Grohl is probably the musician I’d most like to hang out with) but agree that after their first two records nothing has matched them. Still they’ve been good for a number of quality songs per record but, yes, I listen to the first two and then bits and pieces from all the rest.

Hhmmmmmmmmm. Saving this for future reference. Since Nevermind is one of my favo(u)rite records of all time, this will be revisited. In Utero — ok, might not argue that.

I’ve always really loved the Foos but agree that after their first two records nothing has matched them. Still they’ve been good for a number of quality songs per record but, yes, I listen to the first two and then bits and pieces from all the rest.
I'm the opposite.In Utero i love but Nevermind a couple of songs only.
Swings and roundabouts.

I don't own this as it dates back to the time when I was titting about in a turtle neck listening to Coltrane and so not really paying close attention to much of the rock music that was produced.
1696456948911.png
GROOVY!

Despite owning all of Nirvana's output I have to admit I never really warmed to Pearl Jam & dont actually have anything at all from them. So whilst I have heard the singles this is going to be yet another new one for me.
Back to work tomorrow so I will have my daily commute to listen.

LOL. I think I compared it to The Queen Is Dead in that one side is very good and the other side not so much, although I may have used stronger language peppered with invectives. That said, I have not listened to the entire record in at least 20 years and will give it every chance to change my mind. I also have always liked the song “Jeremy”, which is my favo(u)rite of theirs.
"Jeremy" reminds me of a song like "Hungry Heart" - it got all the radio play ad nauseum (and STILL to this day, I claim!), but was NOT the best song on the album.

I don't need a listen to know that, but it will be forthcoming once I do submit my review!

"Jeremy" reminds me of a song like "Hungry Heart" - it got all the radio play ad nauseum (and STILL to this day, I claim!), but was NOT the best song on the album.

I don't need a listen to know that, but it will be forthcoming once I do submit my review!
Funny I like Even Flow too but that’s the one that I thought got airplayed to death.

Funny I like Even Flow too but that’s the one that I thought got airplayed to death.
For the past ~20+ years in the US, and especially since the 90's got added to "classic rock" stations that now run the range of 70s - 90's, if you get a Pearl Jam track from 10, it's more than likely going to be "Jeremy".

That poor recess lady's breast has taken on quite the gnashing over the years on a daily, if not hourly basis.

Just like if you hear Radiohead, you are going to get served "Creep" on the airwaves. I certainly don't belong there listening to just that.

Neither is indicative of what the bands have given us.

So one listen in and initial thoughts...

I have no idea what makes this grunge, it sounds entirely like a conventional rock album that could have been produced a number of years before or after its actual release.

It's very accessible and pretty melodic. Whether that accessibility is at the expense of depth remains to been seen.

Some of it sounded a bit generic and there are a few cliches knocking about but nothing egregious.

Eddie Vedder is a decent singer whose natural range coincides with my preference in rock singers. He plays to his strengths well.

It's solidly produced.

It's very radio friendly, I'm not remotely surprised it sold in bucket loads. Arguably it feels very (too?) 'safe' in it's approach though that might just be in comparison to the lunacy of the last pick!

So one listen in and initial thoughts...

I have no idea what makes this grunge, it sounds entirely like a conventional rock album that could have been produced a number of years before or after its actual release.

It's very accessible and pretty melodic. Whether that accessibility is at the expense of depth remains to been seen.

Some of it sounded a bit generic and there are a few cliches knocking about but nothing egregious.

Eddie Vedder is a decent singer whose natural range coincides with my preference in rock singers. He plays to his strengths well.

It's solidly produced.

It's very radio friendly, I'm not remotely surprised it sold in bucket loads. Arguably it feels very (too?) 'safe' in it's approach though that might just be in comparison to the lunacy of the last pick!
They're from Seattle. That's what's makes this grunge. You know what those marketing execs are like.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.