The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

From 82-85 the Cocteaus were up there with New Order, The Fall and (ahem) the Icicle Works as favourites. Unlike the other 3 never saw Cocteaus live. Treasure a year after Head Over Heels was probably even better, but both are practically perfect, and unfathomable. They drifted after the two 1985 EPs.

Head Over Heels – Cocteau Twins

Wailing vocals and layers of electronica with little or no spaces between the notes. Repeat listens will not help in this case.

Only the acoustic guitar on “In The Gold Rush Dust” and bluesy piano on “Multifoiled” saved this from being a dead loss for me.

So I’ll accept that it's not for me, give it a 5/10, step back and let others discuss the merits.

Last edited:

Wailing vocals and layers of electronica with little or no spaces between the notes. Repeat listens will not help in this case.

Only the acoustic guitar on “In The Gold Rush Dust” and bluesy piano on “Multifoiled” saved this from being a dead loss for me.

So I’ll accept that it's not for me, give it a 5/10, step back and let other discuss the merits.

Too early to dismiss in my opinion, already spotted a few growers (sugar hiccup, Gold dust rush, musette and drums) also not many songs actually sound like each other despite it all being layered indie. Well that’s my take after a listen so far

Too early to dismiss in my opinion, already spotted a few growers (sugar hiccup, Gold dust rush, musette and drums) also not many songs actually sound like each other despite it all being layered indie. Well that’s my take after a listen so far
Fair enough. I generally agree that giving something more time will allow it to grow on you, but in some cases, there's nothing to work with. Without any doubts, this is one of those cases.

First listen points this to the 'not for me' shelf.

That said, it also points firmly towards the 'ahead of its time' drawer.

So I’ll accept that it's not for me, give it a 5/10, step back and let other discuss the merits.

Might be flogging a dead horse here but maybe try one of the later albums which are not as dense and 'breath' a bit more.
That said if you are not into the approach that Robin Guthrie takes to processing a signal and for you Liz Fraser is wailing then you are probably a lost cause ;-)

It is interesting though in that Robin Guthrie doesn't play the guitar in the conventional sense of the word. I imagine given how much you love guitars in their more normal form it probably is quite a trial to listen to.The geeky bit of me loves hearing about how they made their sound but beyond that I'm drawn to the sound itself. I'm going to use an awful term (not ethereal) but it does fit..they are creating soundscapes as much as they are songs. But not in an airy fairy way, they are still songs some of which have a real drive to them.

That said, it also points firmly towards the 'ahead of its time' drawer.

Very much so. It's not just the number of bands they've influenced but the breadth too. There are obvious bands like Sigur Ros but less obvious acts like The Weeknd too.

Might be flogging a dead horse here but maybe try one of the later albums which are not as dense and 'breath' a bit more.
That said if you are not into the approach that Robin Guthrie takes to processing a signal and for you Liz Fraser is wailing then you are probably a lost cause ;-)

It is interesting though in that Robin Guthrie doesn't play the guitar in the conventional sense of the word. I imagine given how much you love guitars in their more normal form it probably is quite a trial to listen to.The geeky bit of me loves hearing about how they made their sound but beyond that I'm drawn to the sound itself. I'm going to use an awful term (not ethereal) but it does fit..they are creating soundscapes as much as they are songs. But not in an airy fairy way, they are still songs some of which have a real drive to them.
There is what you like, and then stuff that you wouldn’t normally listen to but are a few steps away from that, and you can see a connection. In these cases, you appreciate what is different and there’s plenty to discuss.

I’m all for soundscapes in the framework of a song - Daniel Lanois, Pink Floyd and others. But this offering is just to alien for me to appreciate.

I’m glad that an album like this was nominated because this thread is all about celebrating different styles of music. I’m sure a lot of people will enjoy it, but I don’t even feel like there’s anything positive I can add to the discussion, so I’d rather see what others say.

Just to assist people....
Screenshot_9.png
Well this takes me back to my Uni days.
Not that it was me you understand, but it did create the idea for me of trying to be that little bit different, that little bit interesting and sensitive in order to get into the knickers of some other other young 1st year at Uni.

First listen in years and it was OK but didnt grab me,. I shall give it another couple of listens tomorrow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.