The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

The album starts with a stone cold classic and one of my playlist perennials. Sadly, it’s all downhill from there but, fortunately, the gradient ain’t steep.

Oh, Atlanta starts off like Status Quo but the boogie is Southern and not Sarf Lawndon.

Skin it Back is fabulously funky. Love the chorus.

Down the Road features some lovely slide guitar.

Spanish Moon is just a proper horny track underpinned with a slinky bass line.

Feats Don’t Fail Me Now is more roller than rocker.

The Fan gets kinda heavy and features a mid-section that goes all ELP.

The closing medley wouldn’t have been out of place on a Skynyrd album.

Turned out I knew most of the tracks on this album and the ones I don’t, I need to get. In fact, I probably just need to add all the albums they made with LG to my wish list. Edit, just bought a pack of (think, first) five LF studio albums for just over a tenner!

I like every track on this album and although I can’t quite go all the way to 10, I can give it 9/10.
Steady on, I’ve not even entered it in the spreadsheet yet!

Wow, that didn't take long...as expected!

View attachment 96658

I should also add that I changed my nomination at the last minute mainly because the album I had originally chosen has been mentioned favourably in this and another music related thread recently.

However, when I first put my name forward, this is the album I originally had in mind.
For me, the best decision you made.....if an album has been mentioned in a couple of different threads, I've probably heard it, or enough by the band to know if I'll like it ;)
I joined/like this thread because I may 'discover' something different or a band I've never heard of...and really like it (The Yawpers from Rob, perfect example).
I've heard of Little Feat, as I predominantly like Rock....but haven't knowingly heard any songs, unless it was on Planet Rock radio or Friday Rock show on Radio 1 back in the day, and a memory is stirred!
Looking forward to this one!!

I've never knowingly listened to Little Feat either, although I know the name through song lyrics.

I don't know whether anybody else listened to The Stereo Sequence on Radio 1, Saturday afternoons in the late 80s. It was a good show where they mostly played songs by artists who, in my opinion, were much better than what was around in the charts at the time (plenty of Springsteen, Mellencamp, Steve Earle and other Americana, as well as lots of lesser known bands).

Anyway, that's where I heard Mark Germino's "Rex Bob Lowenstein", a song about a radio DJ who played what he wanted. It ends with the suits buying out his station and him locking himself in the control room and playing "smash or trash" before they arrest him. It includes the lyrics:-

He'll play Stanley Jordan, The ‘Dead and Little Feat
And he'll even play the band from the college down the street

For me, the best decision you made.....if an album has been mentioned in a couple of different threads, I've probably heard it, or enough by the band to know if I'll like it ;)
I joined/like this thread because I may 'discover' something different or a band I've never heard of...and really like it (The Yawpers from Rob, perfect example).
I've heard of Little Feat, as I predominantly like Rock....but haven't knowingly heard any songs, unless it was on Planet Rock radio or Friday Rock show on Radio 1 back in the day, and a memory is stirred!
Looking forward to this one!!
Fond memories… TV on the radio!!!

I've never knowingly listened to this album but it's had a super fast top review from OB1 so now I'm intrigued.

Edit: started first listen, younger son walked into the kitchen to get his lunch box. On his exit he announces, 'this is a vibe' and off he trots. Hard to tell when he's being ironic but I think not in this case and he might be right too

Last edited:
I've never knowingly listened to Little Feat either, although I know the name through song lyrics.

I don't know whether anybody else listened to The Stereo Sequence on Radio 1, Saturday afternoons in the late 80s. It was a good show where they mostly played songs by artists who, in my opinion, were much better than what was around in the charts at the time (plenty of Springsteen, Mellencamp, Steve Earle and other Americana, as well as lots of lesser known bands).

Anyway, that's where I heard Mark Germino's "Rex Bob Lowenstein", a song about a radio DJ who played what he wanted. It ends with the suits buying out his station and him locking himself in the control room and playing "smash or trash" before they arrest him. It includes the lyrics:-

He'll play Stanley Jordan, The ‘Dead and Little Feat
And he'll even play the band from the college down the street
I certainly did Rob, it was presented by the late Roger Scott, great show and along
with Bob Harris‘s shows introduced me to new artists every week which have become favourites over the years.It’s probably why we have similar tastes.

I certainly did Rob, it was presented by the late Roger Scott, great show and along
with Bob Harris‘s shows introduced me to new artists every week which have become favourites over the years.It’s probably why we have similar tastes.
Yes. It was Johnny Walker, then Roger Scott and then Richard Skinner from what I remember.

I think you are right about our similar tastes - I would say the music played by JW and RS shaped my musical tastes more than any other person, show or magazine.

The first time I heard "Copperhead Road" was when Roger Scott played it. He made some comment about sitting there with his mouth open the first time he heard it and it was exactly how I felt.

In fact that song would be a good pick for my theme on the playlist thread next week. Now I've probably got Coatigan sweating that it's a fortnight of yee-haw/cowboy boots and banjos, I'll leave everybody dangling .....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.