The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

This nomination has triggered a school memory, I went to school with a lad who the two main things I remember about him were that:

1. He really liked the Lowell George album, Thanks I'll Eat It Here. Which I think is quite an unusual like for a schoolkid in late 70's early 80's Wythenshawe, I'm not even sure how he became aware of it.
2. He had webbed feet but they were nothing like the man from atlantis sterotype.

Weird how music triggers these random things.

I like the LG solo album, it’s mainly a covers album ,sorry Rob,but has a similar vibe to
early LF.

I couldn't remember much about it other than he would rave about it, so I've just had a listen and had completely forgotten it had a version of I Can't Stand The Rain on it. Quite liked it.

Were his webbed feet little?

He wasn't a big kid so relatively speaking yes they would have been! They were more like fused than webbed but it didn't seem to stop him playing football or anything like that. Before you ask we didn't do swimming at school so I can't vouch for his aquatic prowess.

Had some absolutely sublime moments like Rock n Roll Doctor and Long Distance Love, but we're a bit patchy at times, though George was some player !

So my pick for this round is Dvořák’s Rusalka. I’m sorry but this is going to be a bit of a shorter write up as we are in the process of moving back to the UK, so I am rather preoccupied with other things.

Anyway, to the music. Rusalka is a lyric fairy tale in 3 acts and, in common with many other operas, has a tragic ending. It is likely based on the fairy tales of Czech writers Erben and Němcová with a fair bit of Andersen’s The Little Mermaid thrown in for good measure.

It tells the story of a water sprite (Rusalka) that falls in love with a human prince and desires to become human so that they can be together. She is granted that wish on the condition that she loses her ability to speak and becomes mortal. Also if she doesn’t find true love with the prince, he will die and she will be eternally damned.

As you can probably guess, they fall in love, the prince then betrays her and she is condemned to eternal misery but can save herself by killing the prince, which she refuses to do as she still loves him. The prince realises his mistake and searches for Rusalka. He asks for a kiss from her (despite knowing it will mean his death). They kiss and he dies. Happy stuff!!

It is my favourite opera and the one that I have been to see most often. I try to go to at least 10 operas per season and one of them that I always choose is Rusalka.

The best known piece from the opera is Měsíčku na nebi hlubokém (Song to the Moon) and this is my favourite aria from all operas. I find it incredibly moving. It’s popularity has increased in modern times and is frequently performed as an individual piece or as part of film/TV soundtracks. The rest of the songs are almost as wonderful too.

The opera (like most) usually takes over two and a half hours in total which I realise is far too long for this. I have, however, found on Spotify a couple of shorter, highlight recordings. The one that I would recommend is with the Czech Philharmonic and conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras. Renée Fleming sings the part of Rusalka and despite not being a Czech speaker, does an admirable job. There are also even shorter English and German language versions that are ok but to me it lacks something when not sung in its original language (but the choice is yours). If you type Rusalka highlights into Spotify, those options should come up.

We haven’t had an opera yet ,or anything in a foreign language, so it is something a bit different and a bit of a risk. I appreciate that opera may not be to everybody’s taste and I’m not expecting big scores or even many votes at all but it is a work that is very close to my heart and something I wanted to share. I hope that some of you will give it at least a chance. It really is worth it in my opinion.

Anyway, for the next couple of years I’ll be back in the UK, so this will most likely be my final Czech offering and my future choices will be a bit more mainstream.

Enjoy (or at least try to)!!

Top tip - If you can't face that much opera, you might get a bit of motivation if you type into Youtube 'Patricia Janečková - Rusalka'. She performs Měsíčku na nebi hlubokém and while not in Fleming's class, she is rather easy on the eye.

Not posted on this thread for a long time and not really posting this for any other reason than I'm a bit pissed and just heard that earlier this month Patricia Janečková passed away from cancer at the age of 25 and as I had mentioned her here, I thought it perhaps the most appropriate place for it. I knew she was battling it but the last news I heard was that treatment seemed to be going well. Such a wonderful talent to lose at such an early age. RIP.

For those that can stand a bit of opera:

Not posted on this thread for a long time and not really posting this for any other reason than I'm a bit pissed and just heard that earlier this month Patricia Janečková passed away from cancer at the age of 25 and as I had mentioned her here, I thought it perhaps the most appropriate place for it. I knew she was battling it but the last news I heard was that treatment seemed to be going well. Such a wonderful talent to lose at such an early age. RIP.

For those that can stand a bit of opera:

It sad when an artist you admire dies and at 25 as well, that’s terrible.

This nomination has triggered a school memory, I went to school with a lad who the two main things I remember about him were that:

1. He really liked the Lowell George album, Thanks I'll Eat It Here. Which I think is quite an unusual like for a schoolkid in late 70's early 80's Wythenshawe, I'm not even sure how he became aware of it.
2. He had webbed feet but they were nothing like the man from atlantis sterotype.

Weird how music triggers these random things.
As opposed to George having little feet, which was where their name came from !?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.