The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Foxtrot is aptly named -- there’s a lot -- and I mean a LOT -- of up and down in this record.

Let’s start with this: I don’t find much of Foxtrot to be rock and roll, which is fine. It’s prog pop, but rather than prog pop heavily influenced and sounding like classical music, the first half is prog pop heavily influenced by and sounding like jazz. To some extent I found that unique and winning, even if the idea is probably better in concept than execution.

Let’s pretend the unnecessary two-minute organ chord bashing exercise that opens “Watcher of the Skies” doesn’t exist, because it’s infuriating. After that, the band is jumpier and speedier than I expected relative to other Genesis. And rather than whomping away with the sledgehammer drums Phil Collins became known for (and that I don’t hate TBF), I hear some pretty remarkable dexterity which surprised me some. Quite listenable.

Likewise “Can-Utility” – the first two minutes just seem like aimless noodling. Then it moves into the acoustic guitar backed by strings and those splashy drums before finding a resting spot for Tony Banks organ, the expression of which should IMO be additive and in the background (or used in brief solos) rather than driving in the foreground (and why I’ve always been hugely annoyed by ELP).

But “Time Table” is the kind of Genesis that I’ve struggled with, the quiet lily-on-the-pond stuff that doesn’t really have a hook and definitionally has to lean on the vocals (which Gabriel isn’t capable of injecting emotion into here) and the lyrics (which don’t have an obviously interesting subject, at least to me). So it kind of tries to simulate beauty rather than actually being beautiful. Not my thing. Nor is “Get ‘Em Out By Friday”, which whistles along between slow tempo and uptempo and no tempo but honestly I just felt was confusing in both message and what it was trying to be sonically.

“Horizons” is a nice acoustic interlude (I never mind those), and then into the meat of “Supper’s Ready”, all 22+ minutes of it. It’s in parts wonderful, and parts unpleasant. I am not going to write out all the frankly ridiculous titles, but parts II and III are especially good, with Gabriel soaring into the chorus on II and Hackett suddenly blazing all over III. Part V feels a little Bowie-esque and a lot TV-program-for-kids-like and much more like what would come out of a Broadway musical (which I’m certain was intended). Part VI has that odd time signature and that organ morphs into a Yes-sy mish-mash which I didn’t mind as much as I usually would in this context, and then part VII returns to Gabriel and Hackett flying together to a great closing effect.

Of all the records we’ve gone through on both threads, I found this to be I think the most varied in quality in terms of parts I enjoyed vs. those I didn’t. You can hear what Gabriel would become, and what Genesis would become without him. None of this sticks in my ears the way the first quarter of “Lamb” does, nor the best songs on “Trick”, nor Gabriel’s best solo work. But there’s enough really good stuff to make it worth wading through the less interesting/more irritating parts. it's right down the middle, but because I liked the good bits more than I disliked the bad bits, I'll go 6/10.
From what I can remember of listening back in the day, I think there were many parts that I didn't like…over the years though, the more I listened and got familiar with them, I grew to like all of it. Obviously, I wouldn't have it any other way now.

For those that really enjoy 'early' Genesis as showcased by @Markir choice of Foxtrot, there is a rich seam of music that continues to this day in the shape of Steve Hackett's solo work.

Many people believe that Genesis changed when Gabriel left (and they did) but to me the even more profound changes came when Steve Hackett the guitarist left. Genesis made A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering with Steve but without Peter and both are fine albums in the early Genesis tradition. It was only after those albums that Phil Collins influence on the music took them down an extremely commercial but far less interesting route. So anyone that really enjoys Foxtrot will also like the albums that came before it (Trespass and Nursery Cryme) and the four that came after (Selling England by the Pound, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Wind and Wuthering and Trick of the Tail). I have purposely omitted the album Genesis to Exodus (their very first album). Whilst it is interesting to Geeks like me, it is unrepresentative of their later work.

Steve has been making music and touring since he left Genesis in 1977 and continues to make inspired guitar based prog rock. I can recommend for anyone interested, his debut solo album Voyage of the Acolyte as typical of his work. If you can catch him live, he tours annually and plays half his own stuff and the second half is devoted to early Genesis and frankly, his live show musically eclipses what live early Genesis could produce albeit without the bizarre red dress and foxes head that Gabriel had a penchant for. There are some wonderful full concerts on You Tube. Here is an example of his band playing Suppers Ready (with full orchestra).

A couple have mentioned Foxtrot as almost like classical music and there is a great deal of truth in that. Most of the band were educated at Charterhouse where they received a classic education and Banks mother was a classical pianist and he in particular was immersed in the genre from a very early age and has gone on to compose and record classical music. There are some wonderful examples of prog/classical compositions in their work. Check out Firth of Fifth on Selling England and Fountain of Salmacis on Nursery Cryme where the classic influence is particularly clear.

That supper's ready performance is pretty special. Just watched it for the first time, really enjoyed it. The music is superb and the singer makes a hard song to sing look easy, a very controlled performance.

Foxtrot is aptly named -- there’s a lot -- and I mean a LOT -- of up and down in this record.

Let’s start with this: I don’t find much of Foxtrot to be rock and roll, which is fine. It’s prog pop, but rather than prog pop heavily influenced and sounding like classical music, the first half is prog pop heavily influenced by and sounding like jazz. To some extent I found that unique and winning, even if the idea is probably better in concept than execution.

Let’s pretend the unnecessary two-minute organ chord bashing exercise that opens “Watcher of the Skies” doesn’t exist, because it’s infuriating. After that, the band is jumpier and speedier than I expected relative to other Genesis. And rather than whomping away with the sledgehammer drums Phil Collins became known for (and that I don’t hate TBF), I hear some pretty remarkable dexterity which surprised me some. Quite listenable.

Likewise “Can-Utility” – the first two minutes just seem like aimless noodling. Then it moves into the acoustic guitar backed by strings and those splashy drums before finding a resting spot for Tony Banks organ, the expression of which should IMO be additive and in the background (or used in brief solos) rather than driving in the foreground (and why I’ve always been hugely annoyed by ELP).

But “Time Table” is the kind of Genesis that I’ve struggled with, the quiet lily-on-the-pond stuff that doesn’t really have a hook and definitionally has to lean on the vocals (which Gabriel isn’t capable of injecting emotion into here) and the lyrics (which don’t have an obviously interesting subject, at least to me). So it kind of tries to simulate beauty rather than actually being beautiful. Not my thing. Nor is “Get ‘Em Out By Friday”, which whistles along between slow tempo and uptempo and no tempo but honestly I just felt was confusing in both message and what it was trying to be sonically.

“Horizons” is a nice acoustic interlude (I never mind those), and then into the meat of “Supper’s Ready”, all 22+ minutes of it. It’s in parts wonderful, and parts unpleasant. I am not going to write out all the frankly ridiculous titles, but parts II and III are especially good, with Gabriel soaring into the chorus on II and Hackett suddenly blazing all over III. Part V feels a little Bowie-esque and a lot TV-program-for-kids-like and much more like what would come out of a Broadway musical (which I’m certain was intended). Part VI has that odd time signature and that organ morphs into a Yes-sy mish-mash which I didn’t mind as much as I usually would in this context, and then part VII returns to Gabriel and Hackett flying together to a great closing effect.

Of all the records we’ve gone through on both threads, I found this to be I think the most varied in quality in terms of parts I enjoyed vs. those I didn’t. You can hear what Gabriel would become, and what Genesis would become without him. None of this sticks in my ears the way the first quarter of “Lamb” does, nor the best songs on “Trick”, nor Gabriel’s best solo work. But there’s enough really good stuff to make it worth wading through the less interesting/more irritating parts. it's right down the middle, but because I liked the good bits more than I disliked the bad bits, I'll go 6/10.

I can't achieve the level of description an analysis here so I won't try but I do agree with much of it, now you've put it out there.

Also, I find plenty to agree with in Rob's post.

I recounted on another thread the genesis of my realtionship with the band's music. I was relatively late to the Genesis fold; although 1983 does mean almost 40 years of admitting to being a fan and I did first venture ot see them in concert in 1980. However, I am more a breakfast in America kind of guy than part of the supper club so I didn't spend hours listening to "Foxtrot" back in the day; it probably didn't get added to my collection until about ten years ago. Therefore, I am glad to have had to give it a couple of spins and actually sit down and listen to it, as opposed to playing it in the car or while I'm working, which is how I mostly consume music these days.

I do keep hearing new things on each play but it is a mixed bag. I'm not a huge fan of the production; not sure why but it almost sounds a slightly amateurish; maybe that is partly down to the lack of ebb and flow in the arrangements that Rob, I think, mentions. The drum sound is flat. You can tell Hugh Padgham or David Hentschel isn't at the helm.

One cannot deny that there is some talent on display on the album but it does sound like a band finding its way. It is very prog but not rock.

The only track I'll comment on is "Supper's Ready" because it is what this album's reputation hangs on. I'm afraid the claim that it is the greatest of epics is wide of the mark for me: it's not that epic; it's just long - oh and Yes have prduced loads of better songs; so have Genesis. I like bits of it a lot but others bore me a tad. I almost nodded off the other week when I saw Hackett play it live. And I'm one of those that prefers the version on "Seconds Out" but I prefer the other three sides of that album. And talking of three, I'm just playing "And Then There Were" and it really just sounds so much better then "Foxtrot"; plus "Burning Rope" is epic in way that "Supper" can only dream of.

I'm going to score this 7/10 though because I have been too generous to other albums and I am a Genesis fan but there's at least ten of their studio albums that I prefer to this one.

The highlights of the first side, Watcher and Friday, are better served on the 73 Genesis Live album (what a back cover that album had btw, the picture and the story); the other tracks on side 1 I can happily leave.
I’m also not a big fan of Horizons, just a filler for me, and I say that as a great admirer of Hackett’s playing both solo and whilst in the band.
It’s all about Supper isn’t it tbh. A bit like Yes with the Going For The One album, everything else cowers in the shadow of Awaken. As time goes on, I’m a lot more critical of albums I used to say I really rated, and when I go back to them now, it’s often about individual songs (except maybe for certain concept or themed albums like the Lamb or The Final Cut).
Supper’s Ready, Awaken, 2112 are all tracks that stand head and shoulders above the rest of their host albums.
As such, as I love Supper so much my heart says it’s a 10/10 - more rationally playing the whole thing now with more critical ears, it gets a 9 maybe.
While it could be criticised for not cohering, certainly musically, I find that variety, difference and sudden shifts to be a strength in this case, and it keeps the piece busy and engaging and exiting to listen to, especially as you build towards the climatic release of the conclusion.

Gabriel and rest of the band on top form, and it’s a measure of the power of the track that it has equal impact on the studio version as on Seconds Out for me; adore both.

As an aside, I can recall being beyond excited to get my first listen to the King Biscuit Flower Hour FM radio bootleg tape of the LA show at the start of the Invisible Touch tour to hear the In The Cage medley now concluded with the 9/8 section and end of Supper in all its glory …. only to be completely crestfallen by the time i got to Roundhay Park in Leeds and Wembley to discover they’d dropped it in favour of the over-played and over-familiar dirge that was Afterglow. Such a disappointment at the time, though the rest of the show was fabulous.

The highlights of the first side, Watcher and Friday, are better served on the 73 Genesis Live album (what a back cover that album had btw, the picture and the story); the other tracks on side 1 I can happily leave.
I’m also not a big fan of Horizons, just a filler for me, and I say that as a great admirer of Hackett’s playing both solo and whilst in the band.
It’s all about Supper isn’t it tbh. A bit like Yes with the Going For The One album, everything else cowers in the shadow of Awaken. As time goes on, I’m a lot more critical of albums I used to say I really rated, and when I go back to them now, it’s often about individual songs (except maybe for certain concept or themed albums like the Lamb or The Final Cut).
Supper’s Ready, Awaken, 2112 are all tracks that stand head and shoulders above the rest of their host albums.
As such, as I love Supper so much my heart says it’s a 10/10 - more rationally playing the whole thing now with more critical ears, it gets a 9 maybe.
While it could be criticised for not cohering, certainly musically, I find that variety, difference and sudden shifts to be a strength in this case, and it keeps the piece busy and engaging and exiting to listen to, especially as you build towards the climatic release of the conclusion.

Gabriel and rest of the band on top form, and it’s a measure of the power of the track that it has equal impact on the studio version as on Seconds Out for me; adore both.

As an aside, I can recall being beyond excited to get my first listen to the King Biscuit Flower Hour FM radio bootleg tape of the LA show at the start of the Invisible Touch tour to hear the In The Cage medley now concluded with the 9/8 section and end of Supper in all its glory …. only to be completely crestfallen by the time i got to Roundhay Park in Leeds and Wembley to discover they’d dropped it in favour of the over-played and over-familiar dirge that was Afterglow. Such a disappointment at the time, though the rest of the show was fabulous.
Nice review mate. Thanks for mentioning the live album. I think one element that has been missed by a few is that this version of Genesis were one of the first proponents of 'Theatre Rock' and Gabriel tried hard to push that element of their performance very hard indeed (allegedly to cover for his chronic shyness. I right.). Many of the songs from that period were written with that in mind so for example, the long melatron into to 'Watcher' was brought to life by Gabriel gradually appearing from the darkness with bat wing headress and UV make up. Sounds laughable now but at the time it was lapped up. Songs like the Musical Box from Nursery Cryme and the Knife from Trespass and the whole of LLDOB were devised with one and a half eyes on the stage show that would tell their story. Suppers ready allowed Gabriel a number of costume changes including the much maligned red dress/foxes head and flower helmet. Those expecting a 'lets rock' album were always going to be disappointed. Thats not what this band was about.

That supper's ready performance is pretty special. Just watched it for the first time, really enjoyed it. The music is superb and the singer makes a hard song to sing look easy, a very controlled performance.
I like it because it still has Gary O'toole on drums. Sadly he left a couple of years ago. He is a very talented and subtle drummer. Perfect for this type of music. The new one is a bit too bish, bash bosh for me. There is much more material on You Tube - a couple of full concerts last time I looked all in HD sound and vision.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.