The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Genesis
Foxtrot
One of musical arch nemeses'(sp?)......Not a good platform, or is it? ;-)

So to be fair @Marklr , to say that coming into this I wasn't a huge admirer of anything that Phil Collins has been part of would be an understatement, but in the spirit of these threads and your superb write up which I really enjoyed; almost like I can hear it being read out in your voice (even though we've never met and I don't know what your voice sounds like) kind of way, it allowed me to free myself of premeditated opinions and listen to it with fresh ears.

So straight out of the gate, I didn't love it, I'm not a Genesis convert but I didn't hate it and they have obviously got a lot about them.

Some of the music kind of reminds me of what University graduates do in films where they stand on a chair in a bar or the like and limerick something ad-hoc and get a round of a applause from their peers. I myself, would have liked someone to reign them in a little and try not to be too smart which is sometimes to the detriment of the music (but who am I to criticise, how many records have they sold worldwide vs my none?).

Others have eluded to the individual songs being hugely varied (i.e. you can be liking a certain section of a song and then it runs off in a completely different direction leaving you slightly non-plussed). I think I mentioned something similar when reviewing The Replacements (@FogBlueInSanFran can keep me honest here, what's the song that starts off quite heavy(ish) and breaks half way through into a sort of bouncy piano thing that I liked?), my observation or question at the time was whether I would have enjoyed the second part of the song as much if I had liked the first part as much (if that makes any sense?).

The sweet after the savoury if you will (even though I prefer savoury food - I digress).

Are the artists that self-aware and comfortable with themselves that they are willing to offer up some sections that they know aren't as pleasurable to reward the listener later on in the song (or is it all in my head?)? I'l let you guys decide but very very impressive and ballsy if so.

So now where am I?

Some of it I really liked, even some bits that people have written off like the opening 2 minutes to the album. I found it quite exciting / suspenseful (like the good bits of psychological thrillers where you don't yet know the who or the why)?

Again, plenty to like musically throughout Suppers ready like the continuous 12 string(?) riff played through quite a part of it. However, I do agree with others on some of Peter Gabriel's theatrics (which to be fair I'm sure there are plenty who that would be a reason to love it even more).

Overall, I think this felt like a 4.5 after a couple of listens but I'm going with a 5/10 comparing it again to my previous scoring.*

Prior to listening I would have guessed that I would end up scoring it a 2/10 as the band has never previously done anything for me, so the 3 point swing is actually really important in this to me as I am certainly open to more of their music (still remain to be convinced of any that fucking Phil starts singing lead on but baby steps).

Top pick @Marklr !!!

*You can tell I was taking this one even more seriously, my write up was done on the laptop.

Keep going Bluemooners, undiscovered musical gold is just round the next corner for us all................. :-)

Edit: Has anyone seen that gig that has probably been shown on Sky Arts loads of times where Phil (I think is heading up a Genesis line-up), at a venue in Paris on a circular stage with a fully surrounding crowd and he is basically running round the stage in between singing? What the fuck is that all about?

Last edited:
Genesis
Foxtrot

So to be fair @Marklr , to say that coming into this I wasn't a huge admirer of anything that Phil Collins has been part of would be an understatement, but in the spirit of these threads and your superb write up which I really enjoyed; almost like I can hear it being read out in your voice (even though we've never met and I don't know what your voice sounds like) kind of way, it allowed me to free myself of premeditated opinions and listen to it with fresh ears.

So straight out of the gate, I didn't love it, I'm not a Genesis convert but I didn't hate it and they have obviously got a lot about them.

Some of the music kind of reminds me of what University graduates do in films where they stand on a chair in a bar or the like and limerick something ad-hoc and get a round of a applause from their peers. I myself, would have liked someone to reign them in a little and try not to be too smart which is sometimes to the detriment of the music (but who am I to criticise, how many records have they sold worldwide vs my none?).

Others have eluded to the individual songs being hugely varied (i.e. you can be liking a certain section of a song and then it runs off in a completely different direction leaving you slightly non-plussed). I think I mentioned something similar when reviewing The Replacements (@FogBlueInSanFran can keep me honest here, what's the song that starts off quite heavy(ish) and breaks half way through into a sort of bouncy piano thing that I liked?), my observation or question at the time was whether I would have enjoyed the second part of the song as much if I had liked the first part as much (if that makes any sense?).

The sweet after the savoury if you will (even though I prefer savoury food - I digress).

Are the artists that self-aware and comfortable with themselves that they are willing to offer up some sections that they know aren't as pleasurable to reward the listener later on in the song (or is it all in my head?)? I'l let you guys decide but very very impressive and ballsy if so.

So now where am I?

Some of it I really liked, even some bits that people have written off like the opening 2 minutes to the album. I found it quite exciting / suspenseful (like the good bits of psychological thrillers where you don't yet know the who or the why)?

Again, plenty to like musically throughout Suppers ready like the continuous 12 string(?) riff played through quite a part of it. However, I do agree with others on some of Peter Gabriel's theatrics (which to be fair I'm sure there are plenty who that would be a reason to love it even more).

Overall, I think this felt like a 4.5 after a couple of listens but I'm going with a 5/10 comparing it again to my previous scoring.*

Prior to listening I would have guessed that I would end up scoring it a 2/10 as the band has never previously done anything for me, so the 3 point swing is actually really important in this to me as I am certainly open to more of their music (still remain to be convinced of any that fucking Phil starts singing lead on but baby steps).

Top pick @Marklr !!!

*You can tell I was taking this one even more seriously, my write up was done on the laptop.

Keep going Bluemooners, undiscovered musical gold is just round the next corner for us all................. :-)

Edit: Has anyone seen that gig that has probably been shown on Sky Arts loads of times where Phil (I think is heading up a Genesis line-up), at a venue in Paris on a circular stage with a fully surrounding crowd and he is basically running round the stage in between singing? What the fuck is that all about?
It was “We’re Comin’ Out”. :)

Top write up as usual mate!

Genesis
Foxtrot

So now where am I?

Top pick @Marklr !!!

Great write up and i totally get where you're coming from. I think I'd probably feel the same if i hadn't been introduced to this music at such an early age. At 12 years old i used to try and impress my friends with the Willow Farm theatrical bit: "listen to this ...listen to this...it's dead good!!" "A FLOWER?...duh duh duh duh..."
Maybe 10 years later, when I'm listening to the Roses and Mondays, it wouldn't have impressed me so much but, like I've said, I wouldn't change any of it now :)

Great write up and i totally get where you're coming from. I think I'd probably feel the same if i hadn't been introduced to this music at such an early age. At 12 years old i used to try and impress my friends with the Willow Farm theatrical bit: "listen to this ...listen to this...it's dead good!!" "A FLOWER?...duh duh duh duh..."
Maybe 10 years later, when I'm listening to the Roses and Mondays, it wouldn't have impressed me so much but, like I've said, I wouldn't change any of it now :)
That was a cool bit. I particularly liked:

Feel your body melt
Mum to mud to mad to dad
Dad diddley office, Dad diddley office
You're all full of ball
Dad to dam to dumb to mum
Mum diddley washing, Mum diddley washing
You're all full of ball

because the vocals ran from one speaker to the other and then back again and you could demonstrate the superiority of your hi-fi system to your mates.

My introduction to Genesis was in the post Peter Gabriel era and I’d listened to Seconds Out many many times before listening to the early studio recordings. I’m afraid I’m not a fan of Gabriel’s vocals compared to Phil Collins, the live versions of the Gabriel era are much better in my opinion than the actual albums.

That said, I’ve got them all up to and including the opinion splitting and then… with the exception of TLLDOB which I never really got on with but might revisit having played a lot of early Genesis over the past week.

Despite Gabriel’s vocals and what sounds like a tinny production there is a lot to like about this album and not really much not to like. Seen as a band beginning to get into their stride I think it is a pretty solid 7 out of 10.

Mention for the sleeve, some great artwork on early Genesis albums. Almost worth a bonus point but I’ll resist and stick with 7 for the music

That was a cool bit. I particularly liked:

Feel your body melt
Mum to mud to mad to dad
Dad diddley office, Dad diddley office
You're all full of ball
Dad to dam to dumb to mum
Mum diddley washing, Mum diddley washing
You're all full of ball

because the vocals ran from one speaker to the other and then back again and you could demonstrate the superiority of your hi-fi system to your mates.
I love the little "woo" after the "mum diddley washing" line.

there are numerous favourite bits on the album. One of mine is on Can Utility and the Coastliners, after verse 2 there is a drum and keyboard break that is perfection leading into verse 3.

They-told-of-one-who-tired-of-all-
singing-praise-him-praise-him-
we-heed-not-flatterers-he-cried-
by-our-command-waters-retreat-
show-my-power-halt-at-my-feet-
but-the-cause-was-lost-now-cold-winds-blow....

drum and organ break (accompanied by controlled air drumming).

...far from the north, overcast ranks advance

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.