The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Definitely Maybe.
A trip down memory and a great one at that.
9 great songs.1 Okay,Digsy's Dinner and the final track that does nothing for me.
The 4 singles."Supersonic" "Shakermaker" "Live Forever" "Cigarettes & Alcohol" all top notch .
Still loved this today despite first listen for years.
Oh to be 34 again lol. 9/10.
Thought about a 10 because of the City connection.

Roth is the best front man I've ever seen and I've never seen a better guitarist then Eddie, and, as mentioned, many times, I've seen over 1,000 performances from over 500 acts. Roth didn't just put on a show, he could hold an audience just by standing there - a bit like Liam (to give a nod to our official topic).

I grew up on Glam (T.Rex, Sweet, Bowie etc) so that has never left me.
Nothing wrong with a bit of glam either.
There’s a time and a place for all moods and preferences.

Reactions: OB1
Definitely Maybe came out in 1994 which was probably the perfect time for to fall in love hard. Growing up in a house that played Dylan, Cohen, Dire Straits & Lennon I naturally gravitated to 2 Unlimited and Technotronic until a friend at school gave me a tape with some Nirvana songs and my sisters boyfriends brother told me about Cypress Hill. These were fine and as my music taste enlarged I felt like this was music I could admire from a distance. Then Oasis came out of nowhere and I fell hard as this was music that spoke to me directly. Until I saw them live.

What should have been a euphoric moment - my favourite band at my favourite place (Maine Road) instead sparked a slide into disinterest and disdain.

the problem wasn’t the music it was the mythology. It’s like I’d gone from playing GTA to suddenly being a part of the Crips. Not wanting to join a cult I distanced myself from Oasis. I just have no swagger. I owned Morning Glory but quickly stopped listening to either album. My only exposure to Oasis songs then came on match days at the Etihad. Despite myself best effort I’d nod my head whilst telling myself I hated Oasis.

But this is a review not a biography. Rock & Roll Star is the perfect opener to the debut Oasis record. It’s a statement of intent and they have delivered regardless of my opinion. Liam has made the most of a limited voice. What surprised me is how soft and thin he sounds on this album - not the sneering bonobo I’d remembered. I know they were young when this came out but I thought it was at least post puberty. I listened to the remastered version in case it was just a bad mix but it sounded the same there.

Shakermaker was the first Oasis track I’d heard. Listening to the radio with my bedroom light off it was noisy, dense and loud but not in the American style. It was British sounding but without the acoustic guitar prattling away in the background like the Smiths or the Cure. Its loud, chaotic and polite. The rest of the album sounds just as loud and dense but almost homemade and authentic. DM is the album your mates made.

I’ve already written a lot so won’t go into a song by song breakdown but honestly there wasn’t a song I didn’t love and wish had been recorded by someone not Oasis. It’s disappointing - like marrying Heidi Klum only to realise she’d harvested Seal’s organs and kept fingers in the fridge. Digsy’s Diner sounds like a band in-joke and the album should end with Slide Away - I can’t remember if Married With Children was an unlisted bonus track that you often got at the end of albums in those days. It’s fine and caustic and is a palette cleanser to the dense production of the rest of the album.

Much has been written about how simplistic and derivative the album is which I think is actually why it is so good. Oasis don’t excel at anything but they are a great covers band. This is like a greatest hits record of several other bands you probably like if you like Oasis.

To see how well this had aged I checked out another album I loved that came out the same year - Parklife by Blur. If I could have been in any band at that time I’d have picked Blur - they were quirky in all the ways I liked. The wrote about London like the Jam did so it’ll never feel local in the way Oasis does despite not have any overt references to Manchester. The difference between those albums demonstrates why DM is the vastly superior album in retrospect. Oasis would never write a song like Lot 105 but on the plus side Lot 105 would never appear on an Oasis album. DM is not interested in demonstrating how smart Oasis are. It's interested in sharing some great tunes with you.

There is a video of Thom Yorke DJing at Boiler Room in London whilst a group of disinterested people stand around watching him be smart and ironic and clever. Oasis would only play the bangers people danced to. No artifice. No irony. Nothing smart. Your mates playing you songs that they love.

Despite everything in me reminding me I hate Oasis this is an 8.5. it feels good like a cheese and onion crisp and beef paste butty. My mates shared their mix tapes with me with music they were passionate about - Oasis do the same
Whether you agree with your review or not - that is a terrific write up and I enjoyed reading that.

Just for clarity, is Heidi Klum keeping parts Seal the Pinniped in the fridge or Seal the artist in the fridge? :-)

First of all, I don’t get the references to ‘pop’. For me this is a rock album first and foremost. A simple rock album but a rock album nonetheless. Its songs are simple but well written, Noel has an ear for an ear worm riff. The lyrics are those of a teenager, the playing is straightforward and simple. Liams delivery perfectly matches the music, strangled syllables and all.

And yet I still love it from that first listen with my teenage kids watching expectantly for my reaction, to today.

Not that I play it much ( or any other Oasis album) on a regular basis but I still have a real affection for the band.

I completely get the comments around Morning Glory. Some of the songs have been overplayed and worn down by familiarity. But not so much this one.

It is difficult to seperate what Oasis became with any of their music. For me they were a connection to Manchester which for obvious reasons I had an affection and affinity for. They loved City when we were shite. The juvenile me thought Liam was cool as fuck holding a crowd with his hands literally behind his back. The antithesis of a conventional frontman.

I’m struggling to really explain my affection for this album (as you will have gleaned) It makes me singalong and makes me happy and reminds me of fun times with my teenagers.

I give it 6 for musical content and another 1.5 for the way it makes me feel and another 0.5 just for Liam. That’s an 8.

First of all, I don’t get the references to ‘pop’. For me this is a rock album first and foremost. A simple rock album but a rock album nonetheless. Its songs are simple but well written, Noel has an ear for an ear worm riff. The lyrics are those of a teenager, the playing is straightforward and simple. Liams delivery perfectly matches the music, strangled syllables and all.

And yet I still love it from that first listen with my teenage kids watching expectantly for my reaction, to today.

Not that I play it much ( or any other Oasis album) on a regular basis but I still have a real affection for the band.

I completely get the comments around Morning Glory. Some of the songs have been overplayed and worn down by familiarity. But not so much this one.

It is difficult to seperate what Oasis became with any of their music. For me they were a connection to Manchester which for obvious reasons I had an affection and affinity for. They loved City when we were shite. The juvenile me thought Liam was cool as fuck holding a crowd with his hands literally behind his back. The antithesis of a conventional frontman.

I’m struggling to really explain my affection for this album (as you will have gleaned) It makes me singalong and makes me happy and reminds me of fun times with my teenagers.

I give it 6 for musical content and another 1.5 for the way it makes me feel and another 0.5 just for Liam. That’s an 8.
I was just about to write up my final analysis but just saw your contribution before I started. Glad I did actually as it reinforces some hopefully objective thoughts that spawned from reading all of the comments in here.
I’m listening to the last note of Married With Children as I write.
I’ll gather my thoughts and begin.

Definitely Maybe came out in 1994 which was probably the perfect time for to fall in love hard. Growing up in a house that played Dylan, Cohen, Dire Straits & Lennon I naturally gravitated to 2 Unlimited and Technotronic until a friend at school gave me a tape with some Nirvana songs and my sisters boyfriends brother told me about Cypress Hill. These were fine and as my music taste enlarged I felt like this was music I could admire from a distance. Then Oasis came out of nowhere and I fell hard as this was music that spoke to me directly. Until I saw them live.

What should have been a euphoric moment - my favourite band at my favourite place (Maine Road) instead sparked a slide into disinterest and disdain.

the problem wasn’t the music it was the mythology. It’s like I’d gone from playing GTA to suddenly being a part of the Crips. Not wanting to join a cult I distanced myself from Oasis. I just have no swagger. I owned Morning Glory but quickly stopped listening to either album. My only exposure to Oasis songs then came on match days at the Etihad. Despite myself best effort I’d nod my head whilst telling myself I hated Oasis.

But this is a review not a biography. Rock & Roll Star is the perfect opener to the debut Oasis record. It’s a statement of intent and they have delivered regardless of my opinion. Liam has made the most of a limited voice. What surprised me is how soft and thin he sounds on this album - not the sneering bonobo I’d remembered. I know they were young when this came out but I thought it was at least post puberty. I listened to the remastered version in case it was just a bad mix but it sounded the same there.

Shakermaker was the first Oasis track I’d heard. Listening to the radio with my bedroom light off it was noisy, dense and loud but not in the American style. It was British sounding but without the acoustic guitar prattling away in the background like the Smiths or the Cure. Its loud, chaotic and polite. The rest of the album sounds just as loud and dense but almost homemade and authentic. DM is the album your mates made.

I’ve already written a lot so won’t go into a song by song breakdown but honestly there wasn’t a song I didn’t love and wish had been recorded by someone not Oasis. It’s disappointing - like marrying Heidi Klum only to realise she’d harvested Seal’s organs and kept fingers in the fridge. Digsy’s Diner sounds like a band in-joke and the album should end with Slide Away - I can’t remember if Married With Children was an unlisted bonus track that you often got at the end of albums in those days. It’s fine and caustic and is a palette cleanser to the dense production of the rest of the album.

Much has been written about how simplistic and derivative the album is which I think is actually why it is so good. Oasis don’t excel at anything but they are a great covers band. This is like a greatest hits record of several other bands you probably like if you like Oasis.

To see how well this had aged I checked out another album I loved that came out the same year - Parklife by Blur. If I could have been in any band at that time I’d have picked Blur - they were quirky in all the ways I liked. The wrote about London like the Jam did so it’ll never feel local in the way Oasis does despite not have any overt references to Manchester. The difference between those albums demonstrates why DM is the vastly superior album in retrospect. Oasis would never write a song like Lot 105 but on the plus side Lot 105 would never appear on an Oasis album. DM is not interested in demonstrating how smart Oasis are. It's interested in sharing some great tunes with you.

There is a video of Thom Yorke DJing at Boiler Room in London whilst a group of disinterested people stand around watching him be smart and ironic and clever. Oasis would only play the bangers people danced to. No artifice. No irony. Nothing smart. Your mates playing you songs that they love.

Despite everything in me reminding me I hate Oasis this is an 8.5. it feels good like a cheese and onion crisp and beef paste butty. My mates shared their mix tapes with me with music they were passionate about - Oasis do the same
top notch review mate.

liked this in particular:

DM is not interested in demonstrating how smart Oasis are. It's interested in sharing some great tunes with you.

Blimey a lot to unpack there, if you could just lie on the couch for me and I'll be with you in a minute ;-)

"Like anyone that says they were a breath of fresh air in a dire decade, clearly isn't someone that spent any real time listening to music in that time period"

I think it's reasonable to say that at a commercial radio play level, they helped usher in a bit of a renaissance in British guitar bands. Was it a breath of fresh air musically?, not really in and of itself, but in terms of what was in the average radio listeners consciousness at the time it was different I think. Obviously that spiralled into the media idiocy of Britpop but you can't blame that (entirely) on them.

"My relationship with Oasis fans and fanbase, has been even worse. Irreparable perhaps."

I have occasionally bumped into the odd 50 year old who is bizarrely still treating Liam as some form of role model but by and large I don't think I've had the same experience as you. You mentioned the Radiohead comparison and I've probably had more arguments with RH fans than I ever have with Oasis fans despite considering both of them to be overrated. What I would say is that the limited number of run ins I've had with Oasis fans have been less cerebral affairs but that's ok. I have been accused on more than one occasion of not being a proper manc because of both my very generic somewhat northern accent and my lack of love for Oasis; but at some point along the line I just stopped caring about my identity in that sense.

"It is then impossible for me, to separate those two things from the experience of listening to their music or to attempt to take it at face value."

I'd normally be inclined to say well try a bit harder then, but I do think Oasis are one of those bands for whom where the music ends and all the other stuff starts is that much harder to discern and compartmentalise. In many ways this is to their credit as it does mark them out as cultural phenomenon as much or more so than musicians,

I've had three listens to try and focus solely on the music and it's kind of confirmed where I was all along. If you listen solely to the music as it is committed to tape they are one thing. If you look more broadly then it and they take on another dimension. I think this is to do with how they tap into certain aspects of communality in music, ng less is often more.

"What it has made me appreciate, is that as their debut, their intentions would have been good. Honest guys trying something they felt like."

I think the timing of this album straight after The Jam is good fun. I waxed lyrical about the youthful nature of All Mod Cons, well you can't get a much more youthful outlook than DM so how come I feel quite different about the two albums. I think it's in their vision of what it means to be young and their respective intent, I can get why people love Oasis's take on it but that's just not me as a person. I think there's an irony in that Oasis are in theory the antidote to the musical nihilism of the 90's but in many ways they simply replace it with a swaggering vacuity that is adjacent to that nihilism.
Far too much phyco analysing of Oasis, you either love them or hate them. I love them, especially the early stuff. It's just music people.

Last edited:
Right. 3rd listen over…….
I’m reluctant to say that this has grown on me, but most, definitely maybe, I got much more enjoyment out of it this morning than either of the other two listens.
I think @mrbelfry and @threespires and perhaps a few others, did really articulate quite a few of my own emotions while me, at the same time, never having been a fan of Oasis.

One overriding feeling I have, or should I say, I agree with is that with Oasis it was never a hatred or dislike of their music. I was always looking at the adulation from the outside in though. However one of the above articulated it very eloquently, I never begrudged those that were enjoying them so much, after all it is simple rock and roll and what’s not to like about 3 chord, 4 bar rock n roll. After all, my own obsession (Rory) pretty much played nothing else but a blues based form of same. (Although he did it pretty damn well).

What @Coatigan and a couple of others have written about the fanbase and the music being intrinsically entwined and spoiling it for some because of the tribalism, well….. over here we may not have had so much of a problem like that. Personally, even the whole Blur v Oasis rivalry thing, I thought was totally contrived. They were completely different and there were good and not so good elements to the music of both. There was no comparison with the style of music both were putting out.

Oasis were/ are hugely popular In Ireland. Why? Well no.1 The music itself. Like has been said,it’s not complicated. It’s simple basic rock n roll and regardless of whether I personally think it’s average or above average doesn’t matter. It has a wide appeal.
No.2 I think is significant over here however. We are a strange bunch when it comes to claiming Irishness. The Gallagher brothers and I think perhaps another band member are second generation Irish and they let it be known.
That kind of thing goes down a bomb over here. I’d put the Pogues in that category too. It certainly did them no harm over here and I do wonder did this elevate them in stature nationally and would they have been just another Manchester band that would have had their time here, just to fade back to relative obscurity otherwise….. Who knows.

In my second contribution I indicated that I have a comparison with a local band in mind. I thought about whether it’s relevant or not, but to hell with it, I’ll share my thoughts.

How I feel about Oasis is similar to how I feel about a nationally idolised band over here and particularly idolised in Dublin. They could have been huge, perhaps, but circumstances involving their charismatic frontman and their loyalty to him, held them back.
So no, it’s not U2. The band are called Aslan.
Aslan hit the scene at the end of the 80’s into the 90’s and they had a singer songwriter and brilliant frontman (some would say) who turned out to be their biggest asset and their biggest stumbling block at the same time.
Aslan in my estimation had bigger potential than U2 when they started, they could play and Christy could sing.
So why am I comparing them to Oasis, well bare with me, it’s probably just my own taste and prejudices but Christy wrote a certain three or four songs that became anthems that you just couldn’t get away from over here.
Similar to Oasis, they are good songs, they have mass appeal, which is why they are anthems. Some songs have anthem trust upon them while others seem to get written with this crowd arena type appeal in mind. I think that’s something that followed with Noel and perhaps a reason why I switched off as far as they were concerned.
Just for completeness, Aslan were set to be huge but Christy had a drug addiction that lost the band at least a decade. They dined off those three or four songs that were endlessly pumped out on the radio while Christy got himself cleaned up. To their credit the band didn’t ditch him and supported him and waited. When he came back their popularity here sored and although very much a local secret, their live shows were heralded and Christy himself was hailed as a national hero almost, before his death last year.

Right, so I’ve outlined my own prejudices regarding Oasis, none of which is particularly fair to @BlueHammer85 having put this album forward.
Well as I said I enjoyed this morning’s listen far more than I’ve ever enjoyed listening to them. Perhaps me OD’ing on my auld mate Rory last night May have done Liam and Noel a favour. I was very much in a rock n roll frame of mind.

If I had scored this on first listen god knows how low I may have gone.
I was in the 5-5.5 territory but having had two objective listens since then, I genuinely think it deserves no less than what I gave to INXS, a 7. Perhaps I have overscored INXS, but I like to maintain some sort of consistency.
It will never be a go to album for me, but I understand not quite perfectly, but very well, from the heartfelt contributions in here, just what it means to others.
Like I said, I have no problem watching others’ obvious enjoyment from the outside when they come on.
A great album for debate, regardless of how you score it.

Given they always wanted to come over as delinquent school boys (and probably were), I'm giving them a report card :-)

Simple but nonetheless likeable tunes from a decent songwriter
+​
Being exactly who they set out to be
+​
Annoying frontman whose vocal ‘charm’ wears thin after 4 or 5 songs on the bounce
-​
Musicianship - good enough
Shagging vibe - sorry SB I'm sticking with Sly Stone and Chef!
Cliff Adams factor
+​
But sadly not sing along able for me
-​
Total
+​
6.5 / 10

I'm not deducting marks for it ultimately being vacuous, they're a rock n roll band not an art movement and no maybes, they were definitely pretty good at that.

Right so thanks to @stonerblue I'm going to be doing an extra listen today and it will be a first for me in this thread in that I am literally only listening to it to see if it works as shagging music (and before any smartarse points out that you can't listen you have to test, I am in the office).

I'm generally of the view that kind of thing is best left to the likes of Sly and The Family Stone, but I will try to listen without prejudice.
''Oh let me be the one......''

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.