The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

You consider indie close to the 'centre'? What weird spectrum is this, I ask.
No, I was saying that this kind of rock - and Bon Jovi, Van Halen etc - is closer to the mainstream (better word than “centre”) than indie. I was saying that these kind of bands are generally frowned on by a lot on this thread.

I’m not typical, but these kind of bands are more to my tastes than indie/new wave etc.

Hope that makes sense - if not, I blame the medicine!

No, I was saying that this kind of rock - and Bon Jovi, Van Halen etc - is closer to the mainstream (better word than “centre”) than indie. I was saying that these kind of bands are generally frowned on by a lot on this thread.

I’m not typical, but these kind of bands are more to my tastes than indie/new wave etc.

Hope that makes sense - if not, I blame the medicine!

I see, makes sense.

This has been a really tough one to score.

I don't like this album. But I like what is on it. In small doses. It is good, catchy, bouncy and can hit a good mood spot. But as a whole album, it bores. And not the 'it's fine but nothing grabs me' kind, but actual proper 'I need to put something else on or switch this off now' kind.

They remind me of the Darkness, remember them? Not musically. But in the sense their 'freshness' is in the timing. Doing something so unoriginal and in no way unique, bordering on a tribute band, but because of a quirk of timing and context, and being sble to do it well and commit, it is actually welcome, and refreshing. Exactly like, Oasis, for example. Or that other tributey band that Bimbo likes, forget their name, the Led Zeppelin immitation one. Albeit both them and this lot have more musical ability and quality than Oasis, as musicians. With the right bit of marketing and image, they could be as big, maybe not as Oasis, but certainly the Darkness as a bit of a wave.

After a couple of listens, there is a bit of a hidden layer of individuality here, and parts of it feel 'current' in ways.

I know Fog has often argued how can
you rate an album where you skip songs. I have always been on the opposite end of that arguement. I don't rate an album based on how much of it is good. I rate it on how good any of it is. And this one has enough individual songs for me to like, and rate, to come back to or play on repeat. That for me is enough for more than a 6, let's go with a 6.5 here.

I don't like this album. But I like what is on it. In small doses. It is good, catchy, bouncy and can hit a good mood spot. But as a whole album, it bores. And not the 'it's fine but nothing grabs me' kind, but actual proper 'I need to put something else on or switch this off now' kind.

They remind me of the Darkness, remember them? Not musically. But in the sense their 'freshness' is in the timing. Doing something so unoriginal and in no way unique, bordering on a tribute band, but because of a quirk of timing and context, and being sble to do it well and commit, it is actually welcome, and refreshing. Exactly like, Oasis, for example. Or that other tributey band that Bimbo likes, forget their name, the Led Zeppelin immitation one. Albeit both them and this lot have more musical ability and quality than Oasis, as musicians. With the right bit of marketing and image, they could be as big, maybe not as Oasis, but certainly the Darkness as a bit of a wave.

After a couple of listens, there is a bit of a hidden layer of individuality here, and parts of it feel 'current' in ways.

you rate an album where you skip songs. I have always been on the opposite end of that arguement. I don't rate an album based on how much of it is good. I rate it on how good any of it is. And this one has enough individual songs for me to like, and rate, to come back to or play on repeat. That for me is enough for more than a 6, let's go with a 6.5 here.
Luke Spiller loves the first Darkness album.

Presume you mean Greta Van Fleet ? The bunch you gave a 9 to :-)

I have to say for me The Battle of Garden's Gate had a fair bit more going for it than this one. Ironically given the rip off accusations the GVT album had real personality, and despite a couple of decent songs on this one I feel that's what's lacking here.

Presume you mean Greta Van Fleet ? The bunch you gave a 9 to :-)

I have to say for me The Battle of Garden's Gate had a fair bit more going for it than this one. Ironically given the rip off accusations the GVT album had real personality, and despite a couple of decent songs on this one I feel that's what's lacking here.

Goes to show, scoring music is not an exact science.

Goes to show, scoring music is not an exact science.

It's certainly not.

If Rob put the spreadsheet in the cloud (a) openDemocray would laud him for services to music thread transparency (b) we'd be able to do all sorts of geeky analysis and my guess would be that around half of the regulars would be pretty predictable in their behaviour and scoring patterns and the other half (inc me) would be all over the shop with significant contradictions..

..and then there'd be bimbo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.