The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

The reviews here are a little sour -- a bit too sour in my view. This record borrows awfully heavily from some others you lot have given plenty of plaudits. Of course, a lot of those plaudits came from @OB1 himself, but anyway. There’s no doubt this record loots a lot of bands over a lot of decades, but whilst I was expecting another 100% Queen knock-off like their first hit, what I heard is a bunch of mid-70s and mid-80s guitar pop (not just Queen) coursing through it.

Early on, off the top of my head, the first name I thought of was Bryan Adams. Now I know it’s easy to view him as one of Canada’s most dislikeable exports, but I’ve always had a soft spot for his simple hooks and simpleton lyrics. The first four especially fit this bill and I was surprised to find myself enjoying them all, especially the opener though I would have dispensed with the horns and maybe the whoo-hoo-hoos, albeit that party-tune production was obviously what the band was going for.

But the Queen effect cannot be denied and worms its way in later (and basically takes over) starting with “Hands On Me” and then particularly “Do What You Want” and “Rockstar”. I do have a thing against songs that pause two-thirds in when it’s obvious the intent is to shine the lights on the crowd while the lead singer encourages them to clap along and sing without music -- especially on two songs in a row. So the homespun fancy-pants production that I found pleasant earlier evolves (devolves?) into, what, the Bay City Rollers with Paul Stanley guesting on guitar?

Even so, there’s a place in the world for a band so focused on on-stage success that they’d simply lay it all out there in as loud and brash and obvious a fashion as these. Hell, didn’t we just talk about a record you all loved with a couple of brothers who did that? Do they get a pass cuz they're from Manchester but these guys don’t cuz they’re from Derby? Before you go off, I’m kidding (alMOST entirely).

Anyway, next comes another slow one, aptly named “Bad Decisions”, since it should have been left off the record (and channels Boston at their worst). Then comes “Better Love”, which is unexpected as it veers toward mid-80s new-wavery -- Xerox Freddie Mercury turns into (gasp) Xerox Martin Fry (at least until the chorus, when he then turns into Xerox Jon Bon Jovi). Anyhow, this stylistic careening about has now made my head hurt as I try to pigeonhole this motherfucker. With "Somebody Someday" we end back at Queen again -- as I could have predicted -- and while the music is as expected, the lyrics are a little sweeter and more poignant -- after all the cheesy, glammy bombast, singing about a long lost love of youth was a bit of alright. Then I found out Ian Hunter wrote this. Ah. That explains it.

Despite my schizophrenic commentary, I’m tempted to score this higher than some of you. I didn’t find it generic; I found it transparently aspirational, and though that’s not my cup of tea, I’ve heard worse efforts. Counting against it is the fact that @OB1 already has a bundle of records with high scores :) but counting for it is that he listens to this with his kids -- and I’ve already put up a similar listen-with-kids record (Fountains of Wayne) along with one that reminds me of my wife (Roxy Music), and such things matter.

It’s not good enough for a 7, but I liked it somewhat more than a 6, particularly the first four. Since I don’t do halfs, I have to go with my tried-and-true -- there are some good songs which I’d gladly hear again, but not enough, so indeed it is a 6.

Last edited:
The reviews here are a little sour -- a bit too sour in my view. This record borrows awfully heavily from some others you lot have given plenty of plaudits. Of course, a lot of those plaudits came from @OB1 himself, but anyway. There’s no doubt this record loots a lot of bands over a lot of decades, but whilst I was expecting another 100% Queen knock-off like their first hit, what I heard is a bunch of mid-70s and mid-80s guitar pop (not just Queen) coursing through it.

Early on, off the top of my head, the first name I thought of was Bryan Adams. Now I know it’s easy to view him as one of Canada’s most dislikeable exports, but I’ve always had a soft spot for his simple hooks and simpleton lyrics. The first four especially fit this bill and I was surprised to find myself enjoying them all, especially the opener though I would have dispensed with the horns and maybe the whoo-hoo-hoos, albeit that party-tune production was obviously what the band was going for.

But the Queen effect cannot be denied and worms its way in later (and basically takes over) starting with “Hands On Me” and then particularly “Do What You Want” and “Rockstar”. I do have a thing against songs that pause two-thirds in when it’s obvious the intent is to shine the lights on the crowd while the lead singer encourages them to clap along and sing without music -- especially on two songs in a row. So the homespun fancy-pants production that I found pleasant earlier evolves (devolves?) into, what, the Bay City Rollers with Paul Stanley guesting on guitar?

Even so, there’s a place in the world for a band so focused on on-stage success that they’d simply lay it all out there in as loud and brash and obvious a fashion as these. Hell, didn’t we just talk about a record you all loved with a couple of brothers who did that? Do they get a pass cuz they're from Manchester but these guys don’t cuz they’re from Derby? Before you go off, I’m kidding (alMOST entirely).

Anyway, next comes another slow one, aptly named “Bad Decisions”, since it should have been left off the record (and channels Boston at their worst). Then comes “Better Love”, which is unexpected as it veers toward mid-80s new-wavery -- Xerox Freddie Mercury turns into (gasp) Xerox Martin Fry (at least until the chorus, when he then turns into Xerox Jon Bon Jovi). Anyhow, this stylistic careening about has now made my head hurt as I try to pigeonhole this motherfucker. With "Somebody Someday" we end back at Queen again -- as I could have predicted -- and while the music is as expected, the lyrics are a little sweeter and more poignant -- after all the cheesy, glammy bombast, singing about a long lost love of youth was a bit of alright. Then I found out Ian Hunter wrote this. Ah. That explains it.

Despite my schizophrenic commentary, I’m tempted to score this higher than some of you. I didn’t find it generic; I found it transparently aspirational, and though that’s not my cup of tea, I’ve heard worse efforts. Counting against it is the fact that @OB1 already has a bundle of records with high scores :) but counting for it is that he listens to this with his kids -- and I’ve already put up a similar listen-with-kids record (Fountains of Wayne) along with one that reminds me of my wife (Roxy Music), and such things matter.

It’s not good enough for a 7, but I liked it somewhat more than a 6, particularly the first four. Since I don’t do halfs, I have to go with my tried-and-true -- there are some good songs which I’d gladly hear again, but not enough, so indeed it is a 6.

Great. I've now got Shang-a-f**king-lang going round in my head, thanks for that.

Another fine and fair review. Thanks for taking the time.

Glad you realised that the final track is very Mott the Hoople. Took me a while to realise that they had not written it as such but had covered an Ian Hunter track.

First accolade for this pick - it knocked Korn and Slipknot of the turbo trainer music pick this morning. Granted it’s not bang out the miles music but it’s good enough for a Zone 2 session.
Having read a few of the other reviews I feared the worst for this pick. However I channeled my inner OB1 and trusted the force - his musical taste is spot on, and never forget his JJ Cale selection!!
I may have mentioned before that when I listen to new music, it’s always a positive when I can get on with a new singer and I’m pleased to report this guy scored highly on the Gornik Scale. Even better, just when you need something extra there’s some decent guitar work that comes to the fore and gives most tracks a boost.
If we ignore Rockstar, which for me is the weakest track, the rest is pretty decent and wouldn't be averse to listening to some more to see how the older stuff compares.
I’m getting Plain White T vibes with some Little Angels (can’t beat the rock and brass mix) thrown in. Add a bit of The Darkness and Shinedown and even a bit of Alex Turner at times.
The second accolade is that it’s a selection which @OB1 listens to not just on the way to City games put with his daughter. My son sent me a Spotify link the other day for Fontaine’s DC with the instruction to give them a listen because there’s some Pixies influence in there he liked. Getting my kids listening to music has been one my proudest achievements as a parent. Annoyingly my son is now in London and able to go to better gigs than me on a weekly basis on his doorstep - he’s off to see Scary Pockets this Friday which is not fair!!
The trend for extra points added and deducted for varied spurious reason I find very Ryanair at times. I’ll score this a solid 7/10 but I’ll add an extra point for the part the album played on City’s unbeaten run which @OB1 referred to, so it’s a total 8/10 ;)

PRETTY VICIOUS

Just coming down from an amazing gig by The War on Drugs in Liverpool last night, so I’m in a good mood.

The Struts are definitely not the type of band I would choose to listen to nowadays although they did take me back to my love of Glam Rock back in the day.
I actually really enjoyed listening to this album, I’ve been doing quite a bit of driving this last week and had this on most of the time.As others have said it’s pleasant listening but nothing much really stands out apart from Luke Spillers voice that I really liked.
They are heavily influenced by other bands, I got vibes of Three Doors Down and of course Mott The Hoople or more specifically Mott after IH left among others that have been mentioned.
‘I won’t run ‘ gave me a smile as they nicked the intro from The Jam’s ‘Man in a Corner Shop’
However I can’t forgive them for the Ian Hunter cover, it’s not a bad cover but ffs don’t change the name of the song it’s IRENE WILDE not Somebody Someday!

I also listened to the hit ? ‘Could have Been Me’ thankfully it wasn’t on this album.

Anways thanks OB1 it certainly helped pass the time away and was a fun listen.

7 minus .5 for the IH song being renamed so 6.5/10

First accolade for this pick - it knocked Korn and Slipknot of the turbo trainer music pick this morning. Granted it’s not bang out the miles music but it’s good enough for a Zone 2 session.
Having read a few of the other reviews I feared the worst for this pick. However I channeled my inner OB1 and trusted the force - his musical taste is spot on, and never forget his JJ Cale selection!!
I may have mentioned before that when I listen to new music, it’s always a positive when I can get on with a new singer and I’m pleased to report this guy scored highly on the Gornik Scale. Even better, just when you need something extra there’s some decent guitar work that comes to the fore and gives most tracks a boost.
If we ignore Rockstar, which for me is the weakest track, the rest is pretty decent and wouldn't be averse to listening to some more to see how the older stuff compares.
I’m getting Plain White T vibes with some Little Angels (can’t beat the rock and brass mix) thrown in. Add a bit of The Darkness and Shinedown and even a bit of Alex Turner at times.
The second accolade is that it’s a selection which @OB1 listens to not just on the way to City games put with his daughter. My son sent me a Spotify link the other day for Fontaine’s DC with the instruction to give them a listen because there’s some Pixies influence in there he liked. Getting my kids listening to music has been one my proudest achievements as a parent. Annoyingly my son is now in London and able to go to better gigs than me on a weekly basis on his doorstep - he’s off to see Scary Pockets this Friday which is not fair!!
The trend for extra points added and deducted for varied spurious reason I find very Ryanair at times. I’ll score this a solid 7/10 but I’ll add an extra point for the part the album played on City’s unbeaten run which @OB1 referred to, so it’s a total 8/10 ;)
Thanks for the kind words.

PRETTY VICIOUS

Just coming down from an amazing gig by The War on Drugs in Liverpool last night, so I’m in a good mood.

The Struts are definitely not the type of band I would choose to listen to nowadays although they did take me back to my love of Glam Rock back in the day.
I actually really enjoyed listening to this album, I’ve been doing quite a bit of driving this last week and had this on most of the time.As others have said it’s pleasant listening but nothing much really stands out apart from Luke Spillers voice that I really liked.
They are heavily influenced by other bands, I got vibes of Three Doors Down and of course Mott The Hoople or more specifically Mott after IH left among others that have been mentioned.
‘I won’t run ‘ gave me a smile as they nicked the intro from The Jam’s ‘Man in a Corner Shop’
However I can’t forgive them for the Ian Hunter cover, it’s not a bad cover but ffs don’t change the name of the song it’s IRENE WILDE not Somebody Someday!

I also listened to the hit ? ‘Could have Been Me’ thankfully it wasn’t on this album.

Anways thanks OB1 it certainly helped pass the time away and was a fun listen.

7 minus .5 for the IH song being renamed so 6.5/10
Glad you enjoyed it.

Pretty Vicious - The Struts

The positives on this were mostly on Luke Spiller's vocals and in Adam Slack's guitar work, especially on the title track, probably the standout to me. I especially liked both on that song, especially the guitar solo. The band named after Spiller's strutting while singing, they appear to get most raves as a live band in concert.

I can hear the glam rock components in this album and the comparisons to Queen, the Stones, 80s Aerosmith, and others of the 80s rock bands isn't far off. After initially hearing this, I would be convinced this was released sometime in the late part of that decade.

The chorus of "Too Good at Raising Hell" reminded me musically of "Best of Both Worlds" from Van Halen's 1986 album 5150. I couldn't stop hearing the comparisons every time after the first listen. The lyrics on neighbor's smoking afterwards also made me chuckle.

"Pretty Vicious" the song also remind me of INXS's "Devil Inside" musically in parts too.

Despite the slight delving into the boy band territory, I can see songs like "I Won't Run" and "Do What You Want" would be concert crowd favourites to sing along to because they're catchy, the guitars are great and I can see it working in such a setting vs. me listening alone. @mrbelfry noted the same in his well done review on the solo listen vs. imaging how this would go over in concert.

"Rockstar" didn't work much for me either, though it sounded the most like Freddie Mercury during the verses. I liked "Bad Decisions" more than I thought I would. It reminded me of the classic 80's arena rock ballad that would be another crowd sing-along moment. "Better Love" also reminded me of the pop/rock crossover hit to reach those not as familiar with the band.

"Gimme Some Blood" reminded me of 80's Aerosmith or a Tesla track (perhaps parts of "Love Song") from the same decade. When I first heard "'Somebody Someday'" (extra quotes for @Mancitydoogle with the track rename), I hadn't heard that song before, but I said, "wow, that's some impressive writing" and it seemed more well done than most of the rest of the album. Then I looked things up and got the inside joke on who, where, and when this originated from. Still, a well done version, even if renamed. ;-)

I like it that @OB1 took Fog's challenge and put forward something very current, even if the overall sound comes from his go-to classic rock genre, with some glam and pop thrown in for good measure. Anytime you can connect on a road trip with family/your kids over music, that's a great thing, and I'm agreeing from limited personal experience. ;-) I'm not sure I'd have heard this album save from this nomination given while I listened to similar music back in the day, I don't nearly as much anymore. Interestingly though, I had heard "Could Have Been Me", "Body Talks", and "Kiss This" from The Struts prior albums, the latter I really liked, probably more than the songs on this album. This is a solid 6.5/10 for me, with the extra 0.5 thanks on the City good luck road trip music to the 4-peat EPL title run.

Last edited:
Pretty Vicious - The Struts

The positives on this were mostly on Luke Spiller's vocals and in Adam Slack's guitar work, especially on the title track, probably the standout to me. I especially liked both on that song, especially the guitar solo. The band named after Spiller's strutting while singing, they appear to get most raves as a live band in concert.

I can hear the glam rock components in this album and the comparisons to Queen, the Stones, 80s Aerosmith, and others of the 80s rock bands isn't far off. After initially hearing this, I would be convinced this was released sometime in the late part of that decade.

The chorus of "Too Good at Raising Hell" reminded me musically of "Best of Both Worlds" from Van Halen's 1986 album 5150. I couldn't stop hearing the comparisons every time after the first listen. The lyrics on neighbor's smoking afterwards also made me chuckle.

"Pretty Vicious" the song also remind me of INXS's "Devil Inside" musically in parts too.

Despite the slight delving into the boy band territory, I can see songs like "I Won't Run" and "Do What You Want" would be concert crowd favourites to sing along to because they're catchy, the guitars are great and I can see it working in such a setting vs. me listening alone. @mrbelfry noted the same in his well done review on the solo listen vs. imaging how this would go over in concert.

"Rockstar" didn't work much for me either, though it sounded the most like Freddie Mercury during the verses. I liked "Bad Decisions" more than I thought I would. It reminded me of the classic 80's arena rock ballad that would be another crowd sing-along moment. "Better Love" also reminded me of the pop/rock crossover hit to reach those not as familiar with the band.

"Gimme Some Blood" reminded me of 80's Aerosmith or a Tesla track (perhaps parts of "Love Song") from the same decade. When I first heard "'Somebody Someday'" (extra quotes for @Mancitydoogle with the track rename), I hadn't heard it before, but I said, "wow, that's some impressive writing" and it seemed more well done than most of the rest of the album. Then I looked things up and got the inside joke on who, where, and when this originated from. Still, a well done version, even if renamed. ;-)

I like it that @OB1 took Fog's challenge and put forward something very current, even if the overall sound comes from his go-to classic rock genre, with some glam and pop thrown in for good measure. Anytime you can connect on a road trip with family/your kids over music, that's a great thing, and I'm agreeing from limited personal experience. ;-) I'm not sure I'd have heard this album save from this nomination given while I listened to similar back in the day, I don't nearly as much anymore. Interestingly though, I had heard "Could Have Been Me", "Body Talks", and "Kiss This" from their prior albums, the latter I really liked, probably more than the songs on this album. This is a solid 6.5/10 for me, with the extra 0.5 thanks on the City good luck music to the 4-peat EPL title run.
Well done — I was going to mention INXS too but was afraid of a @RobMCFC reprisal and you are so right about mid/late 80s “second life” Aerosmith.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.