The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I do. think it's a good idea to revisit. I know I panned one or two albums that I now, through repeated listens really like and albums I really liked initially that I now can't play (hello Lucinda). Top 5 Albums with favourite track from top 2/3 would be manageable and would allow for a playlist of 30-60 songs.

Even just one track from your top find, and we have the usual 15-18 set. And if done via PM, we would still have potential for a guessing game, as you'd effectively be guessing who had what as their top find.

Edit. I will offer to do this one, if Rob wants a break from the duties, or to take part in the guessing. Whichever way we go btw, revisit or free for all. I know we are some time away from the end of the round, but just putting it out there now.

Belfry might be my new favourite (though Ultra Mono is not their bestest album so I'm having to seriously reconsider this) but you Rob (and I say this absolutely with affection) will always be my favourite musical old reactionary !

In a sea of inconsistent irrational gibbering, mostly by me, you are an island of constancy. When I read your post, I immediately heard Kate Rusby's version of The Village Green Preservation Society (and that is a good thing).
Hey I did admit Ultra Mono was a controversial choice. Anyhoo after much thought last night I think Tangk is their best overall. I'm not sure that will redeem me though

Hey I did admit Ultra Mono was a controversial choice. Anyhoo after much thought last night I think Tangk is their best overall. I'm not sure that will redeem me though

The cover of Ultra Mono is one of the best album covers ever.

Felt so so appropriate at the time. Covid, brexit, lockdowns, downturn, parliaments... whack!

1000000452.jpg

The Idles - Crawler

First listen, hmmm not feeling this, shouty angry bollox stuff, not my cup of tea ... 4/10

but a week is a long time in the review club and there were early signs this score can be approved.

It took a lot of listens to click, what I like throughout is the tension - never knowing quite which way the track would turn, it's uncomfortable in places - just waiting for the drop which sometimes didn't always come - 'Progress' had this feel, lot of distortion and mess and lots of sounds blending 'Car Crash' also which reminded me of Radiohead style.

'Beachland Ballroom' is a superb song and the pop number from here, I love the intro and vocals on this.

'The End' another that grew into a masterpiece for me, packed full of raw emotion and the 'In spite of it all, Life is beautiful' line seemed very poignant especially after this weeks News events.

Was probably just a few too many songs that i couldn't warm too so will deduct a point for that.

Great pick.

7/10

Last edited:
Even just one track from your top find, and we have the usual 15-18 set. And if done via PM, we would still have potential for a guessing game, as you'd effectively be guessing who had what as their top find.

Edit. I will offer to do this one, if Rob wants a break from the duties, or to take part in the guessing. Whichever way we go btw, revisit or free for all. I know we are some time away from the end of the round, but just putting it out there now.
Nice one mate.

Just an idea, but one week when we are short of a proposer, we should identify our top ten 'finds' from this thread. It would be interesting how many were common and what came out on top for popularity. What do you think @RobMCFC ?
Good idea which I know has evolved since you posted this. I wonder if there’s scope to expand it to all the various music threads?

I’ve often thought of posting a “music threads legacy” thread for people to write about their finds. Also wonder if people have reevaluated some of their own picks in light of the reviews and criticisms of them. I don’t mean the “bag of shite” dismissals but the carefully constructed analysis that might have had you hearing something you nominated in a new less rosy light.

Outside of this thread I picked up on Midlake, I think it was from the album of the year thread a couple of years ago and the new music thread has also thrown up a few to investigate further.

CRAWLER

Unfortunately I knew this would be a hard listen for me as I wasn’t particularly keen on the previous songs I’d heard on the playlist thread , although I prefer those to most of this album particularly’June’.
It’s starts ok with MTT 420 RR but then the shouting starts , which is a shame a when he’s singing Joe Talbot hasn’t got a bad voice.I quite enjoyed ‘Progress’ as he’s singing as with ‘The Beachwood Ballroom’.Musically they were ok and lyrically interesting but the angry Ian Dury esq vocals put me off.
The best track was the one about our ex striker Iheanacho lol
To be frank ‘The End’ was blessed relief !

I actually preferred AGDCFF as there was a story and some humour in the lyrics,
I gave that a 5 so this gets

3/10

CRAWLER

Unfortunately I knew this would be a hard listen for me as I wasn’t particularly keen on the previous songs I’d heard on the playlist thread , although I prefer those to most of this album particularly’June’.
It’s starts ok with MTT 420 RR but then the shouting starts , which is a shame a when he’s singing Joe Talbot hasn’t got a bad voice.I quite enjoyed ‘Progress’ as he’s singing as with ‘The Beachwood Ballroom’.Musically they were ok and lyrically interesting but the angry Ian Dury esq vocals put me off.
The best track was the one about our ex striker Iheanacho lol
To be frank ‘The End’ was blessed relief !

I actually preferred AGDCFF as there was a story and some humour in the lyrics,
I gave that a 5 so this gets

3/10

Aaaand shat the bed! And it was all going so well for a strong finish, lol.

I get it btw, and everyone else that scored low. The album is anchovies. Has a depth of flavour and packs a punch, but if you are repulsed by them.. Just a pity you didn't go yesterday, feels like conceding a late goal ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.